New FT NTC3-Diff Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:58 PM
VW_Drivr
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New FT NTC3-Diff Questions

Hey guys,

As you know the Factory Team comes with a one-way up front and an adjustable ball diff in the rear. I love the handling with the one-way, but for the parking lot running I've been doing the lack of brakes is going to be problem.

Let me start by saying we use a fairly smooth parking lot and for the most part pretty clean. I picked up a solid axle that can go in either the front or the rear, I was thinking solid axle rear and ball diff up front. What problems am I going to run into with this setup, and can someone suggest an alternative(solid front, ball rear)?

If it makes a difference, I use mainly foams 37-40 depending on the day.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for all of your help,

Patrick
Old 05-13-2004, 05:44 PM
ZipZap

Default RE: New FT NTC3-Diff Questions

If you like to get on the brakes, get a diff for the front. You won't lose much performance, and it will allow you to brake hard without breaking the rear end loose.

Here's the part at Tower

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBME7&P=X[/link]
Old 05-13-2004, 09:47 PM
otado

Solid rear axle will reduce your steering response because of lack of diffirentiating between the two back wheels. My version 2 came with the one way diff up front. I never liked the one way diff because it diminished my braking ability and the complete turn around it does to the car under hard braking. I removed the one way diff and replace it with the ball diff. up front. I adjusted the front ball diff to the least adjustment recomended by the manufacturer. This means that I turned the adjusting screw a little bit past the three quarter mark counter clockwise from full tight. Now my version 2 handles great and braking is not a problem. My turning performance is great and it feels like I have a one way diff up front.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:25 PM
ZipZap

Otado -

I'll have to try that if I put a standard diff back in the front. The settings you're talking about should produce almost a freewheeling front end (2wd). You might have found a setting that gives enough braking in front to prevent spin outs, but I'd be interested in hearing about power-on turning and getting out of the corners. In the case of a very loose setting, most of the power will be applied to the rear wheels. Do you find any problems with spinning out coming out of the corners?