Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NTC3 Plus still not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 06:40 PM
SuG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTC3 Plus still not shifting

I'm at a loss, I've tried everything to get this thing to shift. I've completely closed both screws and started turning them out a quarter turn all the way to 5 turns out and still no shift.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:14 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NTC3 Plus still not shifting

I have two NTC3s and one of them has the same problem! I have even check the one that shifts and set the other the same and it still wont shift. Its either stuck in 1st or 2nd all of the time![:@]
Old 06-20-2004, 04:57 PM
ZipZap

First, a dumb question:

You are changing the correct screws, right? They're the one's at an angle.

If your motor is tuned reasonably well, and you saw no change in top speed from zero turns out to five turns out, and you've disassembled/checked/reassembled the two speed, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Does the second speed bell/spur spin freely on the shaft when not engaged with the pinion? When you have the two-speed assembly in your hand, the second gear spur should spin freely both ways. The first gear spur will spin one way, and engage the shaft the other way due to a one way bearing.

When you have it apart, check how many turns out you can take the screws without them falling out. I can't believe it's not shifting by 5 turns without something else being wrong.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:33 PM
SuG

ORIGINAL: ZipZap

First, a dumb question:

You are changing the correct screws, right? They're the one's at an angle.
Yes I'm adjusting the right screws.

If your motor is tuned reasonably well, and you saw no change in top speed from zero turns out to five turns out, and you've disassembled/checked/reassembled the two speed, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Does the second speed bell/spur spin freely on the shaft when not engaged with the pinion? When you have the two-speed assembly in your hand, the second gear spur should spin freely both ways. The first gear spur will spin one way, and engage the shaft the other way due to a one way bearing.

When you have it apart, check how many turns out you can take the screws without them falling out. I can't believe it's not shifting by 5 turns without something else being wrong.
I've yet to tear the thing apart, I'm limited on time right now so I might just bring it to me LHS and have them look at it.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:34 PM
ZipZap

Only takes 5 minutes to get it out.

2 screws on the bearing cap. 6 screws on the rear diff case top. You can leave the shocks and tower connected and still pop the top off enough to get the rear drive gear out.

The RTR Plus has the new two speed assembly. You can look at the condition of the shoes, springs, etc. without disassembling the two speed itself.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:06 PM
SuG

ORIGINAL: ZipZap

Only takes 5 minutes to get it out.

2 screws on the bearing cap. 6 screws on the rear diff case top. You can leave the shocks and tower connected and still pop the top off enough to get the rear drive gear out.

The RTR Plus has the new two speed assembly. You can look at the condition of the shoes, springs, etc. without disassembling the two speed itself.
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot.