My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Propor Tuning

With a screwdriver?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:17 PM
American Muscle

lol, no. i mean like how much smoke is supposed to come out and when do i kno when it is tuned?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Adoika

How much smoke coming from the exhaust is dependent on how rich your needles are set and on how much oil content is in the fuel you are using, oh and whether said oil is synthetic or castor.
The way I tune my engines is to first get it up to a decent temp and then I adjust the low end needle. I do this by pinching off the fuel lines about 1cm from the carb inlet and listening to the engine. I look for the engine to continue to run for around 3 seconds with only a slight increace in rpms. If it idles for longer than 3 secs you need to lean the LSN less richen it.
Next is the HSN. Put your car down on the track and give it WOT, listen to how the rpms increase. The engine should spin freely up to max rpms without any hesitation and have a faint trail of smoke exiting the stinger on acceleration. Check your temps, or place a drop of spit on the head. If it boils off straight away richen it up a bit, look for it to evaporate after about 2 seconds.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:39 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a temp guage,thats the best thing you can do to make sure you don't fry your engine.

There should be a light trail of smoke at full throttle passes basically and the engine shouldn't get over 300 degrees.You can try the drop of water on the heatsink around the glowplug method but I never knew exactly what to look for and was unsure of what I was doing so I got an onboard temp guage.The way I test my low speed needle settings is to drive the car a bit then stop it...wait 5 seconds,then give it full throttle.If it hesitates at all its too rich and you should turn the Low Speed Needle (LSN) 1/8th turn clockwise...drive it for 2 minutes and try it again.Do this till theres no hesitation then mess with the High Speed Needle (HSN)...basically untill you get a temp guage just make sure theres a good trail of smoke...kinda light but still visible and you should be fine.

Good luck man...have you got it to shift yet? I was kinda confused about that when I got the car too.