Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

RS4 3 RTR What A let Down!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 02:02 PM
previ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 3 RTR What A let Down!

For all you guys who maybe like me tried to move from electric to nitro and are thinking of buying a car to bash not race...think twice before getting an RS4 3 RTR..Here's my diary...

RS4 3 RTR bought new with stock .15FE and optional two speed tranny.
Broke in engine according to manual (on Runner Time 20% nitro).
First trip to local car park - Engine came off - screws came loose! (No threadlock applied by assembler at HPI??) Optional motor mount fitted!
Running in finished...Pull start chord would not retract - Pulled the unit apart fixed with custom alteration to the spring attachement to the main rotor plastic shaft to prevent it from slipping again!
Exhaust header came off on a high speed run!..again screws coming loose.
Fuel tank leaking from o-ring round primer shaft . Tank changed with one without primer!
FE engine is a disaster to tune and keep it running properly. Its either on the rich side with minimal power or to lean with dangerously high head temp and resultant flame outs.......Getting a new NON-HPI engine soon (LRP Z.15)
Rear carden drive shaft snapped - changed with a beefier replacement from Serpent.

All this in 3 weeks - 5 litres of fuel
btw I don`t trash rotten my cars, have been in the hobby for 20 years.

Rather upset and let down by HPI
Old 11-20-2004, 02:07 PM
nitro maniac

Default RE: RS4 3 RTR What A let Down!

well ur asked to check all screws before u take ur first run
Old 11-20-2004, 05:43 PM
JapaneesHP

strange very strange, i had the same car but stock there was nothing that broke of come lose, and drive 3liters nitro, befor i place another more powerfull engine and 2speed and e few hop ups, the only thing i broke was my gears but that was my fold. So now i run 6 liter feul and nothing go wrong but i use allways locktide and once a week a take everything appart to inspect. A friend of my has a Cen .46 truck but that's a pain in the ass car, every time he run there is something broken. I think you must handel your car with care and there is now problem.

greetz
Old 11-20-2004, 05:48 PM
JapaneesHP

oke i lie the only thing come lose was a turnbuckle afther the car make a crash at more than 40mph. i can not understand why i had no more damage.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Josh222

ya it tells you to check screws in the manule, if the pull start broke you pulled it to far and is your fualt
Old 11-20-2004, 09:54 PM
C3Racing
My Feedback: (1)

Locktight Is A R/C's Best Friend!!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: previ

For all you guys who maybe like me tried to move from electric to nitro and are thinking of buying a car to bash not race...think twice before getting an RS4 3 RTR..Here's my diary...

RS4 3 RTR bought new with stock .15FE and optional two speed tranny.
Broke in engine according to manual (on Runner Time 20% nitro).
First trip to local car park - Engine came off - screws came loose! (No threadlock applied by assembler at HPI??) Optional motor mount fitted!
Running in finished...Pull start chord would not retract - Pulled the unit apart fixed with custom alteration to the spring attachement to the main rotor plastic shaft to prevent it from slipping again!
Exhaust header came off on a high speed run!..again screws coming loose.
Fuel tank leaking from o-ring round primer shaft . Tank changed with one without primer!
FE engine is a disaster to tune and keep it running properly. Its either on the rich side with minimal power or to lean with dangerously high head temp and resultant flame outs.......Getting a new NON-HPI engine soon (LRP Z.15)
Rear carden drive shaft snapped - changed with a beefier replacement from Serpent.

All this in 3 weeks - 5 litres of fuel
btw I don`t trash rotten my cars, have been in the hobby for 20 years.

Rather upset and let down by HPI

No offence,
but if you have been into the hobby for 20 years, you should not need to be told of the need for loctite on metal fasteners. I have an RS4 3 SS, and have had screws loosen, it happens. A pre-bash inspection before you head to the parking lot will save you a quick "bashless" ride back home. Pull starts $uck IMO, I have 5 roto-starts on all of my cars, works awesome, and they have never left me "startless".