Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Beginner to on-road - ntc3 rtr+?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 AM
rush basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner to on-road - ntc3 rtr+?

I currently have a nitro stadium truck, but as I cannot race it anywhere near me, I am going to get an on-road to race at a local club. I am experienced in nitro but totally new to on-road cars and racing.

Would the nitro TC3 rtr+ be a good choice? I want a rtr (with a reliable engine), and am from the U.K. I am looking at a £300 range (not off internet or from U.S). Is there any problems about this car? Is it durable and consistent in performance?

With all the factory team option parts, in time it would become a factory team ntc3 rather than a rtr+ when I get more experienced. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:12 AM
napalm_Fire

Default RE: Beginner to on-road - ntc3 rtr+?

if you plan on upgrading everything, I'd just get the factory kit right away. You choose your engine...

Its a great car, I have the rtr+ I wish I got the kit and an engine..

the kit helps you learn the car and if something is wrong, you know exactly what
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

what napalm said. my NTC3 Team w/the .12 CV-R flat out rocks.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:24 PM
niceorange

I have the rtr+ and am very happy with it. Unless you plan to race very competitively the rtr+ chassis is a very much up to the challenge. For me, I probably should have got the kit because I ended up buying a new radio system anyways. As for the RTR engine, I can't say enough good stuff about it. It runs as reliably if not better than any of the OS engines I've worked with, and seems to put out gobs of power. I have accidently overheated it a bit (~300F), but it hasn't shown any signs of damage or degraded performance. I plan to upgrade to a bigger cooling head come spring time to prevent it from heating up as much.

Overall, it's a great car, runs awesome, and is very fast!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:56 PM
kwong2001
My Feedback: (2)

If you get a factory team ntc3, don't get a cheap sport engine. At least get something like a 12TR at the minimum. Anything less won't do the car justice.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

hey now, i resemble that remark:P
the CV-R is a great engine. Yes, it's a cheap sport engine, but it's a good learning tool for getting around a racetrack.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 PM
kwong2001
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

the CV-R is a great engine. Yes, it's a cheap sport engine, but it's a good learning tool for getting around a racetrack.
a pullstart at that [] lol

All i'm saying the FT ntc3 is a full on race car. It probably isn't for a beginner anyways with the front one-way and all. And definitely isn't for bashing. But hey, sport engines are definitely good for learning to race. Still doesn't do a car like that justice though Hope you eventually plan on going italian..lol
Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 PM
B.T.D.T.

The FT NTC3 kit comes with Carbon Fiber part which is more easier to break than the stock plastic parts. Don't get me wrong, the carbon fiber parts are strong. It's more rigid than the plastic, so it has less flex/give when you keep crashing it when learning to drive.

Some people don't like the oneway front bearings. It makes the car handle a little different. I started out with it and have no problems. I know that with oneway front bearings you will only have two wheels for braking. The front wheels will spin free. That why it's a oneway front bearing.

If your not a heavy racer, the NTC3 kit car is fine. You get to choose your engine & radio. But for the price of the NTC3 RTR plus you can't beat that price.

What every car you choose you'll be happy.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:10 AM
rush basher

Sounds good, but is there any problems with the car?

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:07 AM
B.T.D.T.

I have no problems with my FT NTC3 car. It handles great with foam tires. I did break the front oneway bearing gear twice and bent the front drive axle and broke a pivot bolt. That was getting hit from the side by an 1/8 scale cars.[:@].

A few months back, Nitro mag wrote a piece on the FT vs the RTR plus. The RTR lap time just came in a little slower than the FT. Cost between the two was 3 times the price. The FT price included an high performance engine, radio, starter box and accessory.

I like to build my cars. Thats halve the fun. Thats why I went with the kit car. I got the FT ver because of the hop-up's. If brought afterwards, it will cause more.

If you just want to drive and have fun the RTR plus is the way to go.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:57 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: kwong2001

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

a pullstart at that [] lol

All i'm saying the FT ntc3 is a full on race car. It probably isn't for a beginner anyways with the front one-way and all. And definitely isn't for bashing. But hey, sport engines are definitely good for learning to race. Still doesn't do a car like that justice though Hope you eventually plan on going italian..lol
Italian real cars, Italian bikes, and Italian RC engines all have one thing in common.
I will NEVER EVER EVER buy one unless it's a KILLER deal...because they all have another thing in common-expense of maintenance and frequency of maintenance.
Maybe one day I'd buy a Countach, or an older Ducati Monster, or a slightly used Novarossi...but only if it comes in at around 75% of average market price or less.
-EDIT-
a huge chunk of the reason I don't go with a higher output engine, though, is because of my driving skill (or lack thereof)