RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFNA Ultra GTP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Afterburn1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Ultra GTP

Just picked up an OFNA Ultra GTP. Was curious if anyone knew of any good mods available anywhere. I have bought this car from the marketplace here, picked it up pretty cheap, and have previously had a Duratrax Axis and a Traxxas Revo. I would have to say that I like the Revo the most and prefer monster trucks in most cases. However, due to a botched drift and a slam into a storm drain at WOT with the Axis and a failed attempt at a 100+ foot back-flip with the revo, I have no vehicles anymore. I wanted to pick up something to play with but didn't really know what to get. I hear the OFNA is huge in scale which I like. The one I got has a Force .21 which I know is going to be quite underpowered for a vehicle of this size. I plan on upgrading to either a .26 or a .28 haven't decided yet. I need to drive my buddies buggy he just installed a .28 to, so that I can see the power differance and also find out if any of this power would be limited by putting it into a GTP. Overall the things I have read about it are good, just lacks power stock. Anyway, anyone had any experiences with it? What do you suggest would be a good place to start hopping it up. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:40 AM
armedtotheteeth

Default RE: OFNA Ultra GTP

well, if I were you I'd just go to Ofna's website. I have one of their 1/8 scale buggies, and I was surprised at what you can get there. wanna sell me your trashed revo super-cheap??!!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Afterburn1

already gone, you wouldn't want it anyway, killed the head, bout ripped it clean off, all the a-arms were toasted, and all three diff's looked like they got shot.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:48 PM
armedtotheteeth

[X(] nvm then lol. Yea, just go to Ofna's website.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Afterburn1

One other question. I have read somewhere ( I think..........) that all the parts and such in the "ultra" series from ofna were interchangable. So, if I wanted to spend the money actually converting this thing, I could change the GTP Ultra into a OFNA Ultra MBX with the right parts and time right?!? I thought I might actually sit down and tally up what it would cost to convert it and see if it would be something that I would like when I got it done.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:23 PM
armedtotheteeth

hmmm... maybe. post some pictures of the chassis and suspension if you can, I'd appreciate that and then could really make a decision. I really dont think that would work, but we'll see.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Afterburn1

I'll post them in just a bit, I did the same thing and I truly think it can be pulled off.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:06 PM
armedtotheteeth

alright cool
Old 09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Afterburn1

Ok, here we go
First we have the Ultra GTP Pics,

Now the MBX Pics, these part numbers between the two are literally one number off from each other. I know that makes a differance in most cases but I don['t think it does in this one. They also use the same Motor, and beveled ring gear. The only noticeable differance I could find is the torsion differential.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:26 PM
armedtotheteeth

Yea, the a arms, bumper, and rear wing are the most apparent. You'll also need new shocks (maybe only springs) and obviously wheels. Also, is there any difference between the center diffs? I'd think it would be much more restrictive in an onrad car, to allow it to push from the rear too... Good luck with this, and post pics and costs. I might turn my LX Pro into an onroad!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Afterburn1

those were the only parts that I could find, I am going to a swap meet on the 24th and I hope to find a MBX there, or I may post in here for someone to post some detailed pics, this actually has my curiosity peaked lol.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
armedtotheteeth

Dude, keep in touch about this. I own an LX Pro and would be willing to turn it into an on road car! This would be an awesome thread, and I hope you have good luck with this. The other Idea I had was to get the parts lists for your car and the MBX and compare them. That would not only tell you what parts are different, but woul let you know small differences in parts you may have thought were the same.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Blues.man5
My Feedback: (5)

I have both a MBX that's tweaked and a GTP also tweaked. The GTP is built on the buggy platform. The basic difference is the GTP has shorter ft & rr shock towers and shocks, a solid center diff. I run a force .26 in both. Love them both. My buddy and I both have these cars and parts fit them all. What we've done - stronger servos(throttle & brake servo in GTP cars are hi-powered for the brakes) added triple disc brakes to them all. Diff fluid is a must in all, I run a CEVECC drag pipe on the GTP and a two speed, also foam tires make a great diff. There is a anti roll device that came on some I think, it mounts to the end of the A-arms, has a ball and socket that keeps the car real flat. I have it on both ft & rr. Put a 250cc fuel tank in the GTP car out of a Titan MT. I buy extra diffs and parts off ebay cheap so haven't had any problems keeping them screaming! Then set-up makes a big diff in handling. Contact me if any questions. [email protected]