Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Is the Fusion still the Ultimate parking lot basher?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Is the Fusion still the Ultimate parking lot basher?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 AM
nitrohead5300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Fusion still the Ultimate parking lot basher?

The Fusion is getting some competition in stock form from the Cen car and the traxxass 4-tech but in my opinion I still think it is the best basher because of the upgrades. Wolfpack Radicials makes a conversion kit for the Fusion that address some of the area of perfomance that the kit does not. The first area that is addressed is the chassis plate. The conversion chassis plate is made for a starter box. This option enables you to get rid of the power robbing pullstart or ez start systems and allows you to use more powerful (non-pullstart) 1/8 scale onroad engines. The kit also includes adjustable motor mounts that allow you to use a .21 - .32 size motor. ( my Outlaw Fusion has a Novarossi.28 on it ) The Wolfpack Conversion kit also includes a special flywheel that has been lighten and has the capability of accepting a 3- shoe clutch set up for more transfer of power to the rear wheels! The chassis plate is thicker for less flexing. To finish off this conversion you need to get some Wolfpack adapters so you can put 1/8 scale rubber on your car so you can get the traction you need for all that horsepower. We race unlimited that means no limit to engine size or modifications we don't run stock, race what you bring but you better have a modified motor or else you won't be able to keep up!! In my opinion that is what parking lot bashing is all about!!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Is the Fusion still the Ultimate parking lot basher?

This is my opinion and my opinion only.
Ive owned the Fusion, Menace and Menace GTR and found all of them to be more trouble than what it was worth. The problem was not the engine or the chassis. I found my problem was the pitch of the gears (too small), the fact that you cant adjust the shift points and how much trouble it is to change the belt. By the way, the belt is one of the parts that rob this car from its performance. It takes too many loops all over the place and its too wide. I also think that the Aarms are too flagile. Not sure what they are made of but they are brittle. If you strip one of your gears, you have to buy all 3 plus a bunch of other stuff you will have for ever just to change one gear. Also, there is a company call Unlimited Engineering that made a chassis, flywheel and mounts to mount any other 21 on that car about 2 years ago.

Once again, this is my opinioin and my opinion only.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM
nitrohead5300

Serpent King , you can adjust your shift points by drilling holes in your pawls, the lighter the pawl the more rpms it takes to over come the springs delaying the shift. The track where we run at is clean so I have not had that many problems with belt wear you have to be selective where you run when you have a belt car. Unlimited Engineering never released that kit to the public, the Wolfpack kit is better anyway.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:13 AM
nitrohead5300

In the May 2005 issue Kevin Hetmanski hit 88 mph using the Unlimited Engineering conversion kit . The Wolfpack conversion kit is similar but the chassis plate is thicker to cut down on flex and radio component layout is different. With a modified motor and top-end speed clutchbell expect 85 - 90 mph with this conversion kit!! I have been clocked at over 90 mph. I hope to read about someone with a 4-tech putting a big block in it and posting the speeds attained with this modification
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
nitrohead5300

Here is a picture of my parking lot basher
Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 AM
nitrohead5300

and here is a picture of my Outlaw Fusion with a modified .28 in it.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:40 AM
nitrohead5300

Outlaw with body on it.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 AM
nitrohead5300

For you Fusion owners here is a little tip the Thundertiger .21 engine goes from mild to wild if you follow the hop-up procedure that Steve Pond did to the HPI .25 motor. If you want it to really become a beast put a picco .26 carb on it . The Thundertiger .21 motor really response well to mods!! You can find Steves Ponds article in Jan 2005 issue of RCCA.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 AM
toytech93

Hey nitrohead5300, Did you have to change to R12 hubs with the wheel adapters to fit those serpent tires ? I really want to run wider tire ,but the only I saw before was 35mm wheels with R12 hubs. Do I need anything special or just the wolfgang adapters for the serpent wheels ? I was also wondering if there is a problem running two different tire sizes ? I'm unsure what the ball diff can handle ? Oh, your cars look great also, thats what I really wanted a C5. thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:18 AM
nitrohead5300

Yes Toytech, I have the r-12 hubs on my fusion with the Wolfpack adapters to get the 1/8 Serpent tires on there. If you don't have a oneway diff for the front then you will have a problem running tires that are not the same height. To get around this problem just true down the rear tires so they are the same height as the front or put a oneway diff from a fusion r-12 in your fusion .21
Old 11-05-2006, 11:12 AM
toytech93

Thanks for the info. The R12 has 2 belt system, the only thing I need is the front diff ? IS that right ?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
nitrohead5300

Yes just order the oneway diff unit only, save your front spur gear from your .21 fusion in case they send you a oneway unit with the skinny spur gear on it . If your oneway unit has the skinny spur on it replace it with the fat spur gear from your .21 fusion.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
ProRCRacer88

As far as the question about the fusion being the best parkinglot basher... I would say it is, car is very cabable of beating 1/8th racecars with some modifications done to it. Its also very durable from what I found out, I had a few highspeed cartwheels and rollovers and still runs strong.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
nitrohead5300

The Fusion with some modifications is one of the fastest good handling cars you can get for parking lot bashing. A friend of mine had a Fusion that he modified extra wide rear tires modified motor and was challenging a stock Serpent on the track. The owner of the Serpent got ticked off and purchased a highly modified $800.00 motor now his car is faster than the Fusion!! But look how much it cost him $600.00 for the car and $800.00 dollars for the motor $1400.00 investment I guess my point is you can make any car fast and handle if you are willing to invest the time and money. But speed usually equals $$$$ some cars take more $$$ than others thats when being able to access the performance potential of a car comes into play plus your own imagination & creativity.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 AM
nitrohead5300

I agree with ProRcRacer88 from personel experience I was doing a highspeed run with my Fusion I had my wing mounted at too steep of an angle putting too much downforce on the rear end and I had a highspeed blowover my car took off went about 5 feet into the air and landed on its roof .........nothing broke so the fusion has been a fairly durable car for me. I avoid running the car in real cold weather because the plastic suspension parts can get brittle due to the cold and if you hit anything they are prone to break but this is usually true for any plastic suspension part in cold weather regardless of brand. You can upgrade your Fusion suspension by putting optional R-12 alumnium suspension parts on it if you want too.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:27 AM
ProRCRacer88

Nitro, I found out the hard way last year that cold weather makes plastics very breakable, I broke mayb $150+ in plastics alone during winter.[:@] When it starts getting real cold, then I wont go so fast. Im working on getting this wolfchassis up and running first, just need to order parts today and if everything works out nicely, will purchase a second one for the other car. I haventy really found a need for the alloy parts when I see how the plastics hold up really good in highspeed accidents. Whats the update on your testing of your chassis? Found out that everything checks out fine yet?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:32 AM
nitrohead5300

The Wolfpack Radicals chassis is fine I have been running it just looking for a body to put on her.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 AM
ProRCRacer88

I thought you had a 235mm body to fit on it.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:03 PM
nitrohead5300

That is on my Outlaw Fusion. I need to get one for my Wolfpack conversion Fusion.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 PM
ProRCRacer88

Oh I know that 235 body was on your outlaw fusion, but is it that you cant find a carrier for a 235mm or do you have to have a certain one for the wolfchassis?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:34 PM
nitrohead5300

I have got to find someone who carries them first.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
ProRCRacer88

www.acehardwarehobbies.com
http://www.ashfordhobby.com/

Thats all I can think of out the top of my head right now.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Coxwaan

i find my fusion pretty durable. once you have upgraded a few bits. ive had cart wheels, flips, the lot, never broke anything serious. to be fair, its been more relable than my savage X.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:19 AM
nitrohead5300

Thanks ProRCRacer88!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-07-2006, 05:22 AM
nitrohead5300

So have I Coxwaan, I have hit curbs, barriers, car tires etc ,etc very little damage.