RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

I'm an excited noob

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:43 PM
burns959

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm an excited noob

Hello everyone,

Recently me and two other friends really started getting interested in those nitro RC cars. I have read a couple of threads and we are about to finalize our purchase. Just debating between two models: (recommended on here).

HPI Racing Nitro RS4 3 Evo BMW M3 RTR

Or

HPI Racing Nitro RS4 3 Evo 18SS Kit Lamborghini Gallardo

We are currently leaning more towards the 18SS kit. Reasons: We want to build it so we can know whats up. Some of the cons is that no one has any prior experience with building any of those. Very difficult? Are the manuals helpful enough?

But if we do end up going with the BMW RTR, then its a 4wd, and people say its a bugger for noobs to maintain.

Now the dilemma:

2wd = more fun? Read they spin out a lot on WOT
4wd = Bugger for beginners? Already assembled and won't gain any early experience.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Please note that we are just getting those for bashing and driving them in parking lots

Looking for a great time overhere

Old 09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I'm an excited noob

how do you intend to bash an onroad car? go offroad way more fun for bashing and more fun for noobs. if you just wanna drive on the road then get onroad but seriously the only bashing you can do with onroad cars is breaking.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:08 PM
burns959

Hmm, well it IS possible that i misunderstood the term bashing, so I will rephrase that I just want to drive on the road NO bashing!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:13 PM
jatoracing33

thats no fun
Old 09-07-2007, 06:38 PM
GYNAIKAS

That's tons of fun for me! On road rules. I see a misunderstanding here. Both EVO and 18ss are 4WD. I say go for 18ss it's a better car and for sure you'll learn how everything works. It has a much faster engine than the EVO, heavy duty differential gears, carbon fiber brake, heavy duty shafts and dogbones, shorter-way suspention and a bit harder springs than the EVO. Kit also contains fully adjustable turnbuckles for front and rear camber (and for caster). Instructions manual is one of the best I've ever followed and indicates everything very precicely. There are 2-3 steps on wich I personally have better solutions than the manual. If you go for the 18ss pm me before starting to build to inform you about the proper setting. It's the 2nd gear shift point, the differentials that must be filled with silicon oil and some tips for better engine break-in. It would be good not to start without asking me cause later you'll need to disassemble some parts and build again. Pm me or e-mail me.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM
burns959

Wow, thanks for all the quick repsonses guys.

So i found a local shop here who can pretty much get me any car i want. He only had the Kyosho fw-05 t in stock, and mentioned that it was a great car all around. Is the Kyosho in the same class as the t-15 and 18ss? Is it a good fast overall car for a beginner? Now I'm really confused!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:14 AM
GYNAIKAS

FW is better than the the EVO out of the box but 18ss is faster since it has more powerful engine and better shocks/springs than the EVO. 18ss has the smoothest braking of all the three (cause its brake is carbon fiber which means progressive braking and extreme durability). FW has fully adjustable toe in since 18ss and EVO have different parts only for 1degree and 2degrees toe-in adjustment (more than 2degrees is more possible to make your car unstable). Also check the availability of parts for both kyosho and HPI to decide wich one you're gonna get.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM
burns959

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Kyosho Fw-05t Mustang GTR. Got it brand new off ebay for 219$ + shipping. I think its a pretty good price in general. I wanted the 18ss, but the total cost would have been slightly out of my range; the car, plus the radio, plus shipping, plus customs, plus plus I found a local shop here who sells many parts for Kyosho so hopefully that wont be a problem and they seem very friendly and knowledgeable.

Anyways thanks guys, specially GYNAIKAS. I will report later when my machine arrives. I'm very excited
Old 09-08-2007, 07:10 PM
GYNAIKAS

Nice choice. You wont regret it. Post some pics when you get it.