Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

18CV-R help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
xXxCellARatOr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18CV-R help needed

hi there, i just bought my brand new O.S. .18 CV-RX motor a few weeks ago. I did a proper heat cycle method break-in and tuned it and it ran amazing. it idled perfectly and it had tons of power. untill today when i tryed to start it, and everytime after it started it kept stalling. I DID NOT change any of the tunning settings nor the idle speed. The engine also seemed like as if it sounded alot more high piched. every single time i let go of the throttle the slightest it would just stall. i tryed turning the low speed 1/2 a turn to the left (rich). That didnt help at all. I also checked the glow plug and it seems to be burning nice and bright. The engine has only been through less than 1/2 a gallon including break-in and i have ALWAYS used after run oil, and cleaned the air filter everytime. So i highly doubt that the engine is damaged in any way. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 AM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: 18CV-R help needed

Do you use a fuel line filter? If not a small dust can be your problem...otherwise try to remove the pipe and clean it from the remaining after run oil.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:03 AM
xXxCellARatOr

Yes i do have a fuel line filter. And what would be the best way to clean my pipe? I have the stock pipe that comes with the RS4 3 and the MT2, so i cant take it apart to get in there.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Tune does not stay the same day to day and requires retuning some times even in the same day of running do to weather changes. If need be set everything back to factory settings and retune. Make sure you get the HSN set properly before doing much with the LSN. All so try a new glow plug.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 AM
xXxCellARatOr

ok, will do all of those, thanks for the advise. ill get back and let u know how it went.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 AM
xXxCellARatOr

ok... today i cleaned the pipe, changed the glow plug and reset the tuning back to default position. the moment the wheels stopped spining the slightest and i let go of the throttle it would still stall. so none of those things are the cause of the problem. tomorrow im going to take the engine apart and check whats going on. i seriously cant think of what could be causing this.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 AM
GYNAIKAS

Low speed needle should be too lean in my opinion try a richer setting. It should idle just fine. After doing that run your car and adjust the high speed needle properly so that the car shoots fine. If you make the high speed needle leaner you should very very slightly make the low speed needle richer.

EDIT: Are you sure that the glow plug type you use is the proper for that engine combined with your local weather conditions??
Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 AM
xXxCellARatOr

as i said before, the engine was running perfectly fine one day, and the next it was running poorley. I do live in canada and the weather does tend to change a bit, but its not like we've hit the ice age all of a sudden to the point that my engine is just Compeltely off tune and requires a different glow plug. im going to check everything again today and ill try to see whats going on, maybe it developed an air leak, who knows. thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 PM
dark_lightning108

wen u said that it cuts off wen u release the throttle, sumthing came to my mind, but it might not be it..but anyway, check and make sure that the carb isnt closing all the way wen u release the throttle..
Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 PM
xXxCellARatOr

lol, no no. thanks for suggesting that, but im not completely new at this. ive had a savage 4.6 thats been through 4 gallons flawlessly. so i know exactly what im doing. i meant that im slowly releasing the throttle to try getting at least a very high idle. so the carb is still quite open, and even if i fully let it go, the idle screw is set properly from previous tuning not allowing the carb to fully close. but just as the wheeles stop spinning ever so slightly, the engine just stalls.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 AM
xXxCellARatOr

YESS!!!! i have found the damn problem. it was the damn extension to the engines shaft that had come undon. once that thing came loose, the flywheel itself started spining. when i tryed to turn the flywheel, it was spining almost freely. which is why the engine couldnt idle at all. surprised it could actually spin the wheels. there were fillings from the Brass collet. could that have been damaged? should i buy a new one? is the brass collet suppose to ancor the flywheel onto the engine's shaft? cause the flywheel seems to spin on it like it would on a bearing no matter how much pressure i apply to the flywheel against the collet.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 AM
GYNAIKAS

OMG indeer sometimes the problem is more simple than you expect! Nice you found it though!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM
xXxCellARatOr

thanks for the help, today i put everything back together, and it was running perfectly fine now i just have to retune it and its back to ripping tires apart lol
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
GYNAIKAS

xXxCellARatOr the ripper....
Old 09-21-2007, 05:58 PM
ferrarimk13

lol, my foams dont wear down at all, its weird, and its pretty soft shore too.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 PM
xXxCellARatOr

lol yeah i have some cheap 24mm dynamite tires. and i did a bit of drifting with them. apart from constant full power acceleration lol. adn the tires are almost slicks on the back. switched em with the fronts. these are the tires: http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN7961

btw, what shore are you using and which wheels exactly are you using?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
ferrarimk13

speedmind racing, dont know what shore though, i get good traction and they last long