Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HPI R40 help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
associatedrules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI R40 help!

I recently won a R40 Atsushi Hara edition at my local track,and I am having alot of problems building the kit. The largest problem that I am having is that the instruction manual seems to be seperated in a very confusing way. There is what appears to be the Hara edition changes on one manual and the regular R40 instructions in the other, and you have to switch back and forth. I am running into problems locating parts bags with the correct screws in them for the Hara special instructions. If anyone out there that has built the Hara edition and has any kind of tips for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 AM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: HPI R40 help!

I've never built one Hara editon but posting a manual's picture with your question can help me to help you. That's the best I can do since I've no experience in building an R40. But I've built several racers and I know how things work. That might be useful.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
associatedrules

What I am really looking for is any tips for building the kit in general. I know I probably wont get that many people responding that have actually built the kit before, but any nitro car kit building tips would probably help. Such as what type of glue should I use to glue the brake pads onto the plates? I have built plenty of electric cars just never a nitro, so any tips on engine choice pipe choice, and what starter box is good for this car would be great to. I am currently looking into either a NovaRossi or O.S. engine.
Also since I am new to these forums and there seems to be a hole lot of threads maybe the info is already posted on here somewhere, if there is just let me know.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
GYNAIKAS

GO for a sirio,rb or ninja engine if you deside to get a .12 engine(i highly reccomend .12 for R40). If you want a .18 engine go for the OS .18 TZ. Your pipe in any case should be an in-line type for maximum performance. I'd use cyan-acrulic glue for the pads. As for the starter box I'd reccomend the LRP competition. Also a general tip is to use ALWAYS blue thread lock (not red!!!) when a screw is gonna be driven into any metal part and fill the diffs with the proper oil.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM
ferrarimk13

i want a hara edition bad, all the help i can give u is go with the O.S. want to trade for a rtr Xray NT18 micro nitro? lol, this post is probably gonna get deleted, but whatever.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
associatedrules

I have heard alot of good about Sirio engines, but I am not quite sure of spending that much money on an engine. Do you have any suggestions for throttle servo or steering servo? I use a futaba 9550S in my TC5, but I'm not sure if that will work as good in a heavier nitro chassis. Also thinks for the help.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:55 AM
GYNAIKAS

For sure get a servo with metal gears and a high speed/mid torque type. It should be at least 4kg capable. That would be the best choice for you to get competitive on track.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM
associatedrules

I just got this car running, and I really hate the front oneway. Does anyone know where I can get a regular diff for this car?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Cypriot Boy

isnt it locked?? why hat it if it is locked??
Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM
associatedrules

It is only locked when you are on the gas. It is in free spin when you're on the brakes. This makes it like using a hand brake to stop. It works great on a track, but when I'm driving in front of my house and need to stop quickly because a real car is coming in my direction I want the car to stop not spin. It would work great if it was a spool or a diff but not a one way.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its supose to be like that that way u dont loose speed while comeing into the turns..........the only thing that sucks it when u hit the breaks the car loose control to run a front oneway correctly u need a radio with ABS breaking so u can stop the car and keep it in control

trust me keep the front one way in there and jsut learn to drive it, im about 99% sure the front diff from the older RSr racer 2 works in ur R40...........the R40's front one way was compatible with racer 2's so i image it could work the other way around u could always jsut switch it for driveing it in front of ur house

but if u set the ABS on ur radio it will stop on a dime and not loose control
Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
associatedrules

That's a good idea that I will try. Does anyone know how far the engine should rev before the center force clutch engages. Some times it seems like I have it set correctly but then it loosens towards the middle of a run.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:27 PM
ferrarimk13

it should rev only about 1-3,000 rpm before it activates, which in reality is barely even a fraction of a second. they put a oneway in there because its not meant to be run on the street, lol. You might want to give it a try for a bit longer, and try to get used to the way it reacts, and be gentler with the braking. I have the ABS, and i dont think it works great at all, it seems to activate nearly the same, so it bothers me, but you can try it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
dakota_davies

is it in chinglish?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 AM
associatedrules

What?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:36 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

it should rev only about 1-3,000 rpm before it activates, which in reality is barely even a fraction of a second. they put a oneway in there because its not meant to be run on the street, lol. You might want to give it a try for a bit longer, and try to get used to the way it reacts, and be gentler with the braking. I have the ABS, and i dont think it works great at all, it seems to activate nearly the same, so it bothers me, but you can try it.

to take full advatage of the ABS u need one hell of a fast servo............

also did u jsut turn on ur ABS??? u could adjust the timming and stroke till it that way it pleases u have u tryed that???
Old 12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
ferrarimk13

yeah, the servo is fast, and this thing definitely looks like its spazing out. theres a slow, medium and fast preset, which works okay, but i find it a bit jerky, and unsmooth. Idk, its just the way i drive i guess, but i dont think itll help a load for his problem.

what the hell is Chinglish?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
associatedrules

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

what the hell is Chinglish?
I also want to know the answer to this.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:13 PM
ferrarimk13

hm, whatever. so what engine and pipe are you running, and how do you like it?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
associatedrules

I went with a Sirio .12 5 port turbo. I am running a blue aluminum traxxis pipe[:'(] and a Parris header. I am waiting till after Christmas to get a good tuned pip set, any recomendations? The engine runs great, but I am having a hard time getting the center force(centex?) clutch working correctly. Also the 2 speed is kind of giving me some head aches. I guess I over tightened one of the set screws and stripped it out, so I had to replace the 2 speed clutch.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 PM
ferrarimk13

oh, i see. Went with the outlaw 5 port? lol its a good engine. Since you got the sirio engine, its a good idea to match a pipe to it from the same company, sirio makes good pipes as well as RB and Novarossi
Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM
associatedrules

Hey I just ran it today and got everything working great. All I had to do was learn how to drive with a one-way and was able to break with no problem. I trimmed the pins on the flywheel so that they were flush with the clutch shoes. When I bought the engine I asked the guy who sold it to me, who is also the person that is in control of the races at my local track, and he said it is legal in the nitro modified class there. I still have my doubts about what other racers are going to say about it when they see the engine though, but that is only if they recognize it as an outlaw from it's appearance. I definably won't win the upcoming race due to my lack of driving skill in nitro[&o], so I don't think that anyone will even point it out anyway.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:51 PM
ferrarimk13

haha, when he says modified, that might mean outlaw, where racers can run just about anything including .18's but im not sure how he runs it. Any pictures of the car, or engine?
Old 12-23-2007, 07:59 PM
associatedrules

I'll try and post some tonight. After I clean it from a long day of bashing it of course!

Edited for gud spelin
Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 PM
ferrarimk13

lol, sounds good to me, i cant wait, hehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.