Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

question about nitro engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 AM
ppoland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about nitro engines

Can runing or trying to run a car on bad needle setings damage an engine??
Old 10-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Osirisf16

Default RE: question about nitro engines

OF COURSE. [>:]

If the high-speed-needle is very lean, can SURELY damage the engine. When trying to find the proper setting, you must run it as RICH as possible, unless you want your engine to pop-up suddenle

I REPEAT. IF YOU HAVE A NITRO ENGINE AND THE HIGH-SPEED NEEDLE IS TOO MUCH LEAN, PLEASE...RICH IT. IF YOUR NEEDLE IS VERY RICH, IT DOESN'T MATTER BUT THE PERFORMANCE WILL BE POOR...OH, AND YOUR ENGINE MIGHT LOCKED UP OR JUST TURN OFF AT MOST SITUATIONS[8D]
Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 AM
ttoks

in short term the low speed is more likely to do damage to an engine then the high speed, and running as rich as possible can to as much harm as running to lean, neither of either extreme is good for the engine, a good balance is needed.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM
kingtuts
Banned

or a good balance is needled
Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: ttoks

in short term the low speed is more likely to do damage to an engine then the high speed, and running as rich as possible can to as much harm as running to lean, neither of either extreme is good for the engine, a good balance is needed.

Don't say that I already know what is the best. And believe me, i SURE know because i BURNT a O.S. VZB V-SPEC because of lean. And when you running rich an engine is very ok. On the other hand, the more rich, the more oil, the more your engine is cooling

And that with the low speed needle. Don't say never again this stupid thing. You propably don't know that the low speed needle is under control of the high speed needle.

THE HIGH-SPEED NEEDLE IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. [ I BUY ANOTHER ONE O.S. VZB V-SPEC AND I LOVIN IT. JUST GREAT ENGINES. COOL JOB FROM O.S. ]
Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here, read all of this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

Don't say that I already know what is the best. And believe me, i SURE know because i BURNT a O.S. VZB V-SPEC because of lean. And when you running rich an engine is very ok. On the other hand, the more rich, the more oil, the more your engine is cooling

And that with the low speed needle. Don't say never again this stupid thing. You propably don't know that the low speed needle is under control of the high speed needle.

THE HIGH-SPEED NEEDLE IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. [ I BUY ANOTHER ONE O.S. VZB V-SPEC AND I LOVIN IT. JUST GREAT ENGINES. COOL JOB FROM O.S. ]

ttoks is right here and you are not. Too rich is bad for the engine, too much fuel/oil is bad for the engine and running too cool is bad for the engine.

Simply destroying an engine does not make you an expert, just the opposite in my opinion. Especially when your reaction is to go too far the opposite direction in tuning rather than learning how to tune properly.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 PM
GYNAIKAS

A perfect tuned High speed needle combined with a lean low speed needle setting can rise engine temperature way above normal. Also, as mentioned above, a too rich engine causes temperature drop but if too much the engine simply stops or never can reaches high rpm so that engine can be instantly damaged. I does harm the glow plug though. Extra oil can possibly make a destroyed glow plug resistor's piece fall into the the sleeve area wich is fatal!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

ttoks is right here and you are not. Too rich is bad for the engine, too much fuel/oil is bad for the engine and running too cool is bad for the engine.

Simply destroying an engine does not make you an expert, just the opposite in my opinion. Especially when your reaction is to go too far the opposite direction in tuning rather than learning how to tune properly.
I DIDN'T SAY THAT I'M AN EXPERT. I NEVER SAY THAT. ALWAYS LEARNING

And that with the too much fuel, you never goin to operate it because your engine will 100% POSITIVE STALL. My engine was running in bad temperatures though but then, i had only 2 years experience of RCs. I didn't have any friend who was RC fun, neither i had a temp meter. I didn't knew what RC means then (Radio Contoll, right). Now that i have a few experience more, i can continue more stable. And i'm not operating ONLY rc cars. I have a plane, and a heli for god say. Oh, and i'm a student, thank you very much...
Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 AM
ttoks

to rich is by no means a way to get your engines to last longer, ups the compression from the extra fuel, stressed the con rod, the compression also is not good the glow plug plugs and can cause the wire to get so horribly disfigured that it drops the coil into the engine, it can also cause your OWB to slip because of excessive oil on it, and running rich lowers the temp way to much, which causes excessive ware on the piston and sleeve making for an early death of your engine, your better off running right on the limit for a race then excessively rich for long periods of time
Old 10-13-2007, 07:16 AM
GYNAIKAS

Hey guys read what i wrote if you like...also the only other things that get stressed and even damaged from a rich engine and I forgot to mention above are the engine gaskets.Oil can come out of them if they are bad. Please don't repeat the same things and stop the fiction scenarios (generally speaking).
Old 10-13-2007, 09:28 AM
DaveG55

There is so much wrong info in this thread that I'm amazed that a couple of people can even get their cars to run.

ppoland,
The bottom line is, yes, bad needle settings can indeed ruin an engine.
I've been tuning nitro RC engines since 1965 and I can tell you without reservation that running too lean OR too rich can BOTH cause damage nitro engines.

You, any of you, can believe me or not, I do not care.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 AM
GYNAIKAS

I believe you...you think I believe something dfferent from your statement?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Osirisf16

I believe you too man. Is ok.[8D] I say LEAN can ruin an engine, and i say that too RICH CAN"T happen. Your engine is going to stall for sure. I know that too much fuel can ruin an engine (do you know how many scenarios i have done with my old engine? I must spend then, about 200 dollars on Glow plugs and replacement parts. I just want to learn more, and to do that, you must rich as far as possible more deep in your wallet)(i was the only one in my whole village who start these things)
Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM
GYNAIKAS

See? Peace!