Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

NEW nitro rc on road car?? what should i get?

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

NEW nitro rc on road car?? what should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 01:01 AM
mattayl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW nitro rc on road car?? what should i get?

hi im new to nitro rc cars but have enough experience with electric to go onto nitro. could someone please help me choose a good starting nitro on road car that is FAST! DURABLE! WELL PRICED! and EASILY UPRGRADEABLE. also is it better to get a RTR pack or a kit so i can learn to tune it and put it together? what are your views om this? my spending money is roughly $4500-$600 AUSTRALIAN. which is about $400-$550 American so yeah any ideas on what first car i should get? i was thinking about HPI evos and 18ss but are there any others to get? also the cen ct5 caught my eye with its claimed 117 km/h out of the box. also i would eventually like to drift with my first car, so i would need the sufficient features to do so. so please if you have a good idea let me know also what sort of engine would i need? maybe a .12 .15 .18 .21???

regards

matt
Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 AM
rshooch

Default RE: NEW nitro rc on road car?? what should i get?

I would say to get hpi.. tons of hop ups simple car rtr or kit, easy to work on and the most durable stock. If you want to drift you can just add the drift tires that hpi make plus they also make a drift kit for there car this set up with the drift kit would run around $500.00 ish give or take a few.. The ntc3 is also a good car has more tunning options out of the box as far as handling, also has a ton of hop ups some say it handles a bit better out of the box vs the hpi. As far as the cen I havent herd to much about it... As far as an engine I would say go with a .18 after your done with the rtr engine.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:23 AM
mattayl

thanks heaps, also if i did get a RTR what hpi is better the nitro evo 3+ or the 18ss? i need the car also to be track worthy in the starters division i dont wanna go to a race for the first time, fish tail and hit a wall i need something i can rely on and that will have tonnes of acceleration and be able to reach high top speeds around 85-120 km/h also with the other car you suggested is that one better than the hpi's? because it has more tuning ability?

regards

matt
Old 10-13-2007, 02:44 AM
rshooch

hpi evo 3 + is the same car as the .18ss the ss is just a kit. The team associated ntc3 has adjustible caster,toe,camber stock but its not as tuff as the hpi cars..
with both cars you can buy extra gears so you can gear the car for your track. both cars would make a decent handling car if set up right..

I mostly bash but gynaikas will be able to be more percise in the racing seen with the hpi cars as far as speed and handling. he will probably chim in later im sure he helps out alot of people. foxy42 I think runs a ntc3..
any way they will most likely post somethin.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:31 AM
GYNAIKAS

ORIGINAL: rshooch

hpi evo 3 + is the same car as the .18ss the ss is just a kit. The team associated ntc3 has adjustible caster,toe,camber stock but its not as tuff as the hpi cars..
with both cars you can buy extra gears so you can gear the car for your track. both cars would make a decent handling car if set up right..

I mostly bash but gynaikas will be able to be more percise in the racing seen with the hpi cars as far as speed and handling. he will probably chim in later im sure he helps out alot of people. foxy42 I think runs a ntc3..
any way they will most likely post somethin.
NO NO NO...EVO + is NOT the same car as the 18ss...!!! As I have MANY MANY times mentioned there are several differences that make 18ss a better car. Here's what 18ss has that EVO+ doesnt:

1)Better,faster and more stable engine.
2)Carbon fiber brake wich means better breaking and brake disc almost infinite endurance.
3)Shorter way shocks with better responce.
4)Heavy duty dogbones.
5)heavy duty differential and gear cup joints so that (in combination with the stronger dogbones) they can handle much more stress in case a huge engine or extra soft foam tyres are installed sometime.
6)Adjustable turnbuckles for camber adjustment.
7)Heavy duty inner differential gears from cut metal.

Want more????
Old 10-13-2007, 05:09 PM
rshooch

oops sorry told you hes knows about the hpi cars
Old 10-13-2007, 05:50 PM
GYNAIKAS

Maybe I've overdone it with so much attention to detail...
Old 10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
mattayl

oh ok well because the hpi .18ss+ kit is $450 and the ntc3 rtr is $500 which should i get beacause if i do get the 18ss i will just have to buy a radio and servos for it which is about $150 yet the ntc3 is RTR so which would be a better choice, also can you upgrade the engine for the ntc3 and this is a bit of a dumb question because im new but what are toe in options? over all which do you think is the better kit.

matt
Old 10-13-2007, 07:23 PM
GYNAIKAS

I had the same dilema as you and I got the 18ss. Of course you can change engine at ntc3 as any other car! 18ss doesn't have screws for toe in adjustment but the kit contains 2 different parts, one with 1 and one with 2 degrees toe in. This also happens for caster options (one with 8deg caster and one with 10deg). These values are the most proper as a result of HPI's research at different angles. So ntc3 has more options for toe in and caster but you'll need a special table with adjustment wheels to adjust precicely. Both ntc3 and 18ss have front and rear camber adjustments but 18ss except from the adjustable turnbuckles,has also parts for standard camber values. Also the radio that you'll get for the 18ss will be for sure better than any stock one that RTRs use. Ntc3 is an RTR and 18ss is a kit (pain in the ***** if you're a beginner) but 18ss has a faster engine than ntc3.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:31 PM
mattayl

ok i think im going to get the 18ss then and what sort of radio and servos should i get because they dont come with the kit so yeah also if theres another car better than the 18ss for around 400-600$ australian could you tell me so yeah, the 18ss is a really good car is it?? and can it drift with wheels??? and how does it handle?

matt
Old 10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
GYNAIKAS

Look I can tell you the pros and the cons of each car in my opinion but I can't tell you what to get. I remind you that BOTH cars are great. Depends on what hop ups you're able to get for each car. 18ss handles good (ntc3 is a bit more stable at corners) and has mainly because 18ss engine is very powerful for a starter like you. When modified the 18ss handles like a train. If you get foam tyres then you won't have much problem controling it. When using the stock tyres 18ss engine's overpower can easily make car to drift.As for the radio what type you use? Stick or gun type?
Old 10-13-2007, 07:45 PM
mattayl

hey, i like the gun type, i found a radio its the cobra JR can you check it out and tell me how efficient and good it would be heres the link or if you have other suggestions that would be great

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...rc_control.htm
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM
GYNAIKAS

JR cobra would be a perfect choice. Also this one is as good as the cobra http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...hannel_mx3.htm since I own a sanwa Gemini II and I know how reliable they are. Another solution would be a futaba but I think that any of the 2 first mentioned would do the job more than good!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:06 PM
mattayl

hey with the JR COBRA what is the operating range?? how far can my car be away from me and me still be in full control?? i think i will get the jr cobra its the most affordable.

matt
Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 PM
GYNAIKAS

Both radios have more range than needed. If you try to get the car out of range you won't be able too see the cars direction!!! But in any case ALWAYS USE A FAILSAFE!!! Failsafe is like a condom: "Better have it and never need to use it than need it and don't have one!!!" You just never know what happens! LOL Anyway I'm leaving you for now cause here it's 4 in the morning...I'll get some sleep! See ya...