Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Choosing best radio and servos.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
mattayl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing best radio and servos.

hi, im just about to get a hpi rs4 3 18ss+ with the camaro body and it is a kit and so it doesnt come with a radio or servos and i need to choose at least a decent radio and servos so when i get my next car they will be a good transfer item. i was just wondering if someone could have a look at these 3 radios and tell me the best one for durablilty, cost and how well it works and range most importantly. the 3 radios are:

1) Futaba 2PL 2-Channel AM/2 S3003 Servos

http://www.*********.com.au/store/pr...c549ae971bd1ac

2) Futaba 2PHK 2 Channel AM 2 Servo Wheel 29MHZ

3) Sanwa MX3 FM 3 Channel Radio

so if you could evaluate these radios and their servos it would be much appreciated.

matt
Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Choosing best radio and servos.

1 and 2, no, cos they're am. Not good for nitro (too much low frequency interference). As for the MX3, I wouldn't touch it, simply due to the fact that for 10 bucks more you can get this, which is a competition radio at a reasonable price. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT7&P=ML

The you still have to buy servos. Get one really good one for steering, and get something cheap for throttle/brake. This is a very good servo for the price... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBXA8&P=ML I have one that has lasted 6 years and isstill working like new. Futaba stuff generally lasts forever. For throttle you coudl easily get away with a cheap one like this... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ87&P=ML That's the entire setup, 2.4Ghz radio and servos you can race with for $300. Pretty good.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
ferrarimk13

hey foxy, the 2PL is FM, i have it, and i bought it for a $100 less than what it says on that site, go to towerhobbies for it, i love that remote, and it works well, next on my list is the airtronics 2.4 gHz remote.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:09 PM
GYNAIKAS

Definately go for the Sanwa MX3! Trust me it's the best of all you mentioned above.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ferrarimk13

hey foxy, the 2PL is FM, i have it, and i bought it for a $100 less than what it says on that site, go to towerhobbies for it, i love that remote, and it works well, next on my list is the airtronics 2.4 gHz remote.
um....

ORIGINAL: mattayl

hi, im just about to get a hpi rs4 3 18ss+ with the camaro body and it is a kit and so it doesnt come with a radio or servos and i need to choose at least a decent radio and servos so when i get my next car they will be a good transfer item. i was just wondering if someone could have a look at these 3 radios and tell me the best one for durablilty, cost and how well it works and range most importantly. the 3 radios are:

1) Futaba 2PL 2-Channel AM/2 S3003 Servos
I also have a 2pl, mine is also AM. I know there is an FM version, but that isn't it. It's an ok radio, but AM/FM is dead. I wouldn't recommend an AM/FM radio to anyone.

ORIGINAL: GYNAIKAS

Definately go for the Sanwa MX3! Trust me it's the best of all you mentioned above.
It may be the best of the three above but at that price I wouldn't recommend it to an enemy, didn't you see my post?? The 3pm is only $10 more!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM
stadium truck freak

i have the mx 3 in 27meg in fm and i use it in 4 differnt cars and theres nothing wrong with it even when i was racing i didnt have any problems
Old 10-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Foxy

There's nothing 'wrong' with it. But for 10 bucks more wouldn't you rather have a futaba DSM radio? Am I typing in Greek and not realising?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
rshooch

ORIGINAL: foxy42

There's nothing 'wrong' with it. But for 10 bucks more wouldn't you rather have a futaba DSM radio? Am I typing in Greek and not realising?
lol
Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
rshooch

I would go with th sanwa mx3.. Foxy is making a good point but with the mx3 you can get started and and play with your car while you save up for a better servo.

Is that radio (the dsm one) the same price in australia/or how much is shipping out of the us to australia... I dont know I live in the U.S. but it might not be so cheap.....
Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM
GYNAIKAS

Well 3 radios mentioned...one of them I'd choose (MX-3), simple? And something else...high frequency radios (GHz) produce more radiation than a cell phone (actually less radiation but in higher frequency that is several times more harmful than cellphone's...that's what I mean). Personally I'd never get a dsm radio cause FM works just fine!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 AM
mattayl

hi over all though?? because the mx3 is 200$ in australia and i could get a futaba 2pl for 130$ which one should i get?? is the 2pl good???
Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Foxy

MX3 is better than the 2pl. The 2pl FM is also a good radio, but I'd still probably have an MX3. If you're not racing and you can get the FM version of the 2pl, then get that and save yourself some money. 2PL has all the important adjustments, EPA, Dual rate, trim, ABS, multiple models.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:47 AM
mattayl

hi, well i need a radio and servos that will be good enough to eventually race with do any of these radios meet the requirements and how far exactly is their range?

matt
Old 10-17-2007, 06:02 AM
mattayl

Hi also what brand of failsafe is the best and what price could i expect to pay for a good one, also if you have website links to the failsafes it would be much appreciated so yeah thanks

matt
Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Foxy

No radio comes with raceworthy servos. Failsafes are about 20 bucks. You could just about go racing with a 2pl, you definitely can with a MX3 and the 3pm is a racing radio, full stop, but does not include any servos. You will have to buy at least one good servo separately, you should be prepared for this.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
GYNAIKAS

The Mx3's servos are just fine for bashing and for track driving but if you wanna be compettive you should do what foxy said.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
mattayl

yeah definately i'll keep the mx3's stock servo for throttle and then ill buy a really good servo for steering and then maybe later on buy another good one for throttle but all in all does the mx3 and its servos provide good enough quick sharp turning whilst bashing? and is the hpi rs4 3 18ss+ a good tight cornerer? can it take tight corners and is its centre of gravity good. also what are good brands of failsafes i'll definately need one of the best as i dont want to stuff up my car first week.

matt
Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 PM
ferrarimk13

i like my 2PL fm, lol and i bought it for $50 without servos new from my lhs. with everyone switching to dsm, thers no one of fm anymore, so yu can always get your frequency.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:22 AM
GYNAIKAS

ORIGINAL: mattayl

yeah definately i'll keep the mx3's stock servo for throttle and then ill buy a really good servo for steering and then maybe later on buy another good one for throttle but all in all does the mx3 and its servos provide good enough quick sharp turning whilst bashing? and is the hpi rs4 3 18ss+ a good tight cornerer? can it take tight corners and is its centre of gravity good. also what are good brands of failsafes i'll definately need one of the best as i dont want to stuff up my car first week.

matt

I have the 18ss with many hop ups, i've modified the stock engine's interior as much as it gets, I use a g-low hobby fail safe (very good one, no problems) and I also have the Sanwa Gemini II. That's exactly the same thing as the MX3, same hardware,same software but has a stick type instead of gun type shape. Servos are the same and they are the quickest stocks out there. I don't have problem even when racing. Handles good, not perfect but there's no need to change them. I have also a Hitec 6kg power (one of the two I used on the evolva, the otherone was sold with the car) one with metal gears but I think it's too much for the RS4.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
mattayl

hi one question, is the JR Racing XS3 Pro Synthesized 75 Mhz Pistol Radio a good radio???
Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 AM
Foxy

If 75mhz is legal in your country, yes. It's illegal in Europe, don't know about Oz.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 AM
mattayl

hey, why is 75 mhz illegal in european countries?? so yeah is that radio very good and where could i find out if its legal or illegal to use in australia