Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

RS4 evo+ vs Nitro 4-tec

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 AM
destrux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 evo+ vs Nitro 4-tec

Shopping for a nitro onroad 1/10th scale. I'm looking at RTR stuff. My budget is $350... can't go any higher. I am trying to decide between the newest RS4 Evo+ with the 3.0cc motor or the newest Traxxas nitro 4-tec 3.3 . Top speed doesn't matter as much as acceleration and handling... and durability. Any opinions from people who own these cars?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: RS4 evo+ vs Nitro 4-tec

EVO+ for me...this question has already been answered long ago in tisforum...I'll try to give you thelink later.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM
IAMKAOS

probably the evo "plus" with .18 engine. like the older evo its easy to work on and most hobby shops carry parts for them. i do not own a 4-tec but i've seen one run and they are fast!. the fella who had it told me he could not keep tires on it and it did not handle that well and he had some problems with the belt drive. but there will be others with different opinion's, some say it is great!...and others will say its just a fast lead sled.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 PM
nickrage

rs4 3 ...

awsome more power then needed
Old 10-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4tec's a fast car, but it's an ancient design and it handles particularly poorly out of the box. You can remedy this, but the Evo handles ok out of the box. The 4tec is faster, but slightly more fragile, it's also a belt drive, so if you run it on car parks or other 'dirty' surfaces, your belts will eat rocks and stuff. The RS4 is a shaft and dosen't suffer fromt his problem. My vote is also for the HPI car, but don't expect the same 65mph from the RS4, it's built for all round, whereas the 4tec is a straight line rocket.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:01 AM
GYNAIKAS

You may find that thread extremely useful: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...tm.htm#6245820
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 PM
ferrarimk13

i say RS4, just because i have it, and cant say anything bad about it, other than it being a shaft driven which is good, when running anywhere but a track.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
GYNAIKAS

I've also driven the 4tec 3.3...yeap it's extremely fast when at straight line but nothing like the RS4 while cornering. With the same amount of money that you'll need to modify a 4tec to corner like a well adjusted stock RS4, you can modify an RS4 to corner like a racing one (for sure not like the top racing cars).
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
destrux

Yeah, I'll go with the RS4. I was hoping the RS4 would be the better one... I've had a thing for them since I saw the original RS4 in a magazine when I was a kid. Always wanted one, never had a place to run one. I moved into town now, and there is a huge parking lot next to my house.

Also one more question.. Is the motor that comes on the RS4 18SS kit the same as the EVO+ rtr motor? I have a radio sitting here and I don't mind a kit build, if the motor is better enough to make it worth it.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
GYNAIKAS

No...18ss engine is a better engine. More stable, revs higher and has more linear responce. I don't believe HPI's claim of 2.2hp out of the G/T 03. If that was true they wouldn't have the 18ss kit at the top of HPI's "how fast" list. See for yourself: http://www.hpieurope.com/kitspeeds.php?lang=en
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
IAMKAOS

i was on hpi's website and tower hobbies and was comparing the 18ss kit vs the rtr evo plus. the 18ss engine is rated at 1.5 hp. and the g3.0 18 is rated at 2.2 . what i did notice was the exhaust header and the muffler that comes with 18ss kit is the excat same pipe&muffler used on the newer evo plus. yes it is hard to believe the g3.0 has 2.2 hp. i was getting ready to order a g3.o 18 for my old evo but then i started looking at a os max 18. i also found out that the hpi side exhaust engines, their exhaust headers bolt right to the s.e. os max 18's. but then i started looking at the 18ss for my evo . hhmmmm....maybe i'll just buy a new car.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 PM
GYNAIKAS

Don't underest the CVR or the 18ss engine. They are very fast i assure you. if you want a new car go for a racing-class one and go "on track". Or get a new one if you want a different scale or type of car (off road). I don't know how experienced you are when on track but in case you're not, RS4 is one of the best cars to make your first racing steps. Get the heavy duty parts and an .18 engine, harder springs and foams and give it a try...you'll be very impressed with the car's abilities...for sure not a racer but you'll see what i'm trying to say.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
toyotanos

I'd vote for the HPI. I've never been let down by mine.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 AM
GYNAIKAS

Me neither...

PS) My previous post was a reply to IAMKAOS...
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
speed racr

Definetly the rs4. I have them both and the Rs4 handles better and has better servos. The 4-tec. is faster, but I had to change the steering servo because it had would turn. the servo just twisted back and forth. the ez stat broke after 2 times too. If you are looking for speed for an rs4 then I recommend the .18 cv-rx.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 AM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: IAMKAOS

i was on hpi's website and tower hobbies and was comparing the 18ss kit vs the rtr evo plus. the 18ss engine is rated at 1.5 hp. and the g3.0 18 is rated at 2.2 . what i did notice was the exhaust header and the muffler that comes with 18ss kit is the excat same pipe&muffler used on the newer evo plus. yes it is hard to believe the g3.0 has 2.2 hp. i was getting ready to order a g3.o 18 for my old evo but then i started looking at a os max 18. i also found out that the hpi side exhaust engines, their exhaust headers bolt right to the s.e. os max 18's. but then i started looking at the 18ss for my evo . hhmmmm....maybe i'll just buy a new car.
I think the HP rating on the websites is switched. I just bought a evo+ and the box says G3.0 1.5hp. Since I'm new to nitro the lower power is fine for now. Once I get some wheel time in I'll get a more powerful engine. Besides the course we race on is fairly small and technical, too much power might be more of a disadvantage. Only one guys runs the 3.34tec and he can't keep it stable going into the straight so that top speed doesn't help him.