Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

-sry newb here**picked up the RS4, but already have a problem lol

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

-sry newb here**picked up the RS4, but already have a problem lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
jjjjjoey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -sry newb here**picked up the RS4, but already have a problem lol

Since I've been a kid I've always wanted a hobby rc car. Now that I'm older and have the funds, I'm looking to go out and pick one up this week. I'm excited, but I am having a hard time picking one.
I originally intended to get a CEN CT5. They look good, fast, and were alot cheaper than the 4 tech 3.3. I went down to the hobby shop here to price em, the the clerk said he wouldnt recommend a CEN. I didn't know if he meant as for a first timer, or as a company. He went on and pointed out the Traxxas 4 tech and said thats a good one for a beginner and that they carry every part there. So since then I've been eyeballing the traxxas, even though I dont care for the look of it, as my best bet.
Now continuing my pricing, I found this site. Looking through some threads, I now see that the 4tech has some problems with the handling and may not be the best car for me. Now I'm finding less interest in the 4 tech and more in the Inferno GT (I saw it in the hobby store and loved the look and size of it).
Now I know each car as it strengths and weaknesses, I just don't want to buy one that's not right for me.
I'm looking for something that can run more than just the straight line (4tech, so I've read).
I guess I'm primarily going to run this car in the street, but if I get a chance to go to track I wanna be able to hold it down too.
I understand each car will need maintenance, parts replaced and what not, I just dont want to be spending most of my time repairing it or, you know, keep it on the shelf because I dont have the money to get it started again.

So any opinions/suggestions? I read the sticky newb thread up top, but it just wasnt much help.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Jeremy1976

Default RE: Having a hard time deciding-sry newb here

The HPI RS4 would be a nice choice if you want to bash and possibly race. Get it with the T3.0 motor in it and you will be more than happy. As far as not liking the body on the 4 tec you can buy new clear bodies of just about any type of car out and get it painted.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 PM
jjjjjoey

I read some good things about that car on here. Plus it looks like it comes in a nice nsx body so I wont have to buy another one.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 PM
CBM Racing

The rs4 3 series (evo, evo+, 18ss...)are all great for beginners and are very easy to work on. Also a TON of option parts available as well. The problem is they are geared toward the beginner, and if you race on a track, you will find yourself quickly wanting a better car. If funding is not really a problem, I would say get it, have a lot of fun, and learn how to drive and maintain and adjust it. Then if/when you outgrow it, you will have a much better idea of what features and characteristics you want for the next one. It is a great car to start with, and drives fairly well when you get used to it. Just watch out for the rc addiction that got a lot of us on here! Best advice is to go check out a local race if you have them in your area and see what most of the guys there are running, and ask some questions. It's free, and I have yet to meet another rc fan that wouldn't help me out. Get one and get going!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 PM
CBM Racing

Whereabouts is two rivers anyway? North, south east west part of state?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 AM
jjjjjoey

Thanks.
And that was another concern for me-I don't want something that is intended for beginners in case I find myself wanting a better car.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
ferrarimk13

yes, the RS4, is always the best buy, on the end, but if you like the inferno gt, go ahead, since its a great car as well, and very tough.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM
oneofakindtrini

the rs4 would be a good choice.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:25 PM
jjjjjoey

Well I think I am going with thet RS4 (found a shop that's also carrying the body I like too). I'm planning to go scoop it up tomorrow. Is there any suggestions on what add ons i should buy after I break it in?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 PM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: Hard time deciding-sry newb here**decided with the RS4

Better tires and fuel filter are good for starting.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
CBM Racing

Also maybe a fuel tank without the primer as it sometimes fails quickly causing air leaks. I would get some spare dogbones as well. Untill you get everything all set they can pop out of the front when wheels turn to far. Of course it doesn't happen when your going slow...only fast so they are sure to dissappear. Also some spare wheel nuts cause if you lose one, your done untill you can get more. Hmmm...Nothing else pops into my head right now, will let ya know if I think of something. OH! If you can, a set of spur and pinion gears! If on a pebbly or debris scattered lot they tend to get jammed and strip. Have some fun!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM
GYNAIKAS

Just cover the opening of the chasis just below the spur gears with some tape and there should NEVER be a problem with pebbles.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 PM
jjjjjoey

So I picked up my car yesterday, the guy there broke it in for me and should me how to start it/shut it off and little stuff like that, but now I'm having a hard time starting it on my own.
It was sitting for about 16 hrs so the glow igniter could finish charging. When I tried this morning to run it, it started fine, but it seems to shut off when I pull the throttle back a tad. Now when I start it, I let it run without pulling the throttle and it will just shut off a few moments later. Its sound like it just clicks off. Can any one offer this little newb some help?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:54 PM
oneofakindtrini

Default RE: -sry newb here**picked up the RS4, but already have a problem lol

i think that it is the glow plug because after the break in the plu usually would go bad.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
jjjjjoey

I was thinking that, but the guy who sold me everything showed me that the glow started would indicate if the glow plug or starter itself was bad/dead. It hasnt shown me anything like that.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Jeremy1976

Replace the glow plug and it probable needs a little fine tuning now that it is broken in. You may have to turn up your idle a little and lean your LSN. Any questions on this just go ask the guy that broke it in for you.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
GYNAIKAS

Sounds like a too rich high speed nedle setting to me...turn the screw 1/8 clockwise and give it some slight throtle , keep it there for some seconds and then give some more keep it to avoid flame off them some more and more untill it spits all the extra fuel/oil. Then it should be fine i suppose.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
ferrarimk13

yeah, its no biggie, just a tuning problem, try leaning it out, to raise the idle, a little like gyn said.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
jjjjjoey

Thanks guys. I just went through my first tank-had a few runs in the curb at low speed, those small rocks can really mess you up, but it was no biggie. That thing is badass, but I'm a little nervous to really open it up. I can't wait to get to an open parking lot.