Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Rubber vs Foam @ high speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM
TommyGun24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber vs Foam @ high speed

Are rubber treaded tires good for past 80mph ?

I want to run my car on a variety of surfaces, I dont really want to be stuck with foams. Cant afford to buy both.

How long would a good quality rubber tire last, and is it going to stay glued to the rim ?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Rubber vs Foam @ high speed

Not a chance they'll stay on the rim, plus the inserts will be trying really hard to escape. Well, there's a small chance they might stay on the rim, but I wouldn't think for very long. Foams are definitely the way to go for those kinds of speeds.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
CBM Racing

Um, if you can afford to get a car past 80, you can prolly afford tires. Foams are about 10$ a pair, rubber tires aren't much more, like the jaco rubberz. All around, foams are better for most conditions where it's clean fron dust.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 AM
ziggy12345

Rubber tyres with inserts wont last past 80 but solid rubber tyres are OK and even better than foams. Foams can chank easy at high speeds. Medial Pro sell solid rubber tyres and you dont need the grip in a straight line

Cheers
Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
TommyGun24

Solid rubber sounds good. Foams iv got on order (still) are $70 all up. Ill see how I go. Im getting sick of waiting, pretty sure my LHS does have solid rubbers in stock.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 05-12-2008, 01:42 PM
GYNAIKAS

I'd vote for foams...
Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM
ferrarimk13

foams foams foams! lol those solid tires would be good to try, but youll need to get them really warmed up before or else youll gun it and itll hit the wall before going 20 mph.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 PM
NitroTherapist

in terms on durability what's better foam or rubber??
Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 AM
ziggy12345

All depends. A set of sorex 22 rubber tyres on an IC car being ragged around a parking lot will last less time than foams but foams can chunk so can last less than a minute if treated badly. I would say rubber are more durable

Cheers
Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 AM
PAPE

ORIGINAL: TommyGun24

Are rubber treaded tires good for past 80mph ?

I want to run my car on a variety of surfaces, I dont really want to be stuck with foams. Cant afford to buy both.

How long would a good quality rubber tire last, and is it going to stay glued to the rim ?

tommy If had ruber up to 78MPH but belted ruber, if not they will inflate like a baloon and you WILL loose control of the car. only belted ruber or solid ruber works at those speeds, now what car do you have that goes over 80MPH???
Old 05-13-2008, 05:03 AM
ziggy12345

All of mine do!! LOL
Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 AM
TommyGun24

None, yet.

Im working on my Kyosho IGT. Should be ready in 4-6 weeks.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
GYNAIKAS

Question: Where's the fun when you run at straight line at those speeds? You do it once, you do it twice it's great ok but it's like watching it on tv going. It's not iteractive...don't rush to start shouting at me I'm not against you people and I really admire your projects as an engineer but try some on track racing just to see how it is. Then if you don't like it return here and start shouting at me . I mean if you set a car for top speed then you almost cancel its cornering and accelerating abilities...compared to track setups of course. Miami guys love top speed but they're also great track drivers. But some guys buy an RC just to be able to say: "Look man my car hits 80mph, yours can't!!!" but if someone has the real guts will say "Why don't we go on the track and set a bet?". Don't let the car do the job. The most enjoyable moment as an RC driver was not something relative to the EVOLVA or RRR but was the moment when I smoked a friend's FW-RR with my poor RS4 (10 laps fast race). He thought that he would win easily cause he has stronger car but it's the driver who makes the difference, not the car. Of course if we had a drag race i would not stand a chance against that car! But then it would be the car not the driver. So what do you prefer? Having a car with superior power supply and tall gearing or becoming a driver who earns the respect?

Sorry If I way off topic but I would like to discuss it with you. Thanks for reading and sorry if I waste your time.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM
TommyGun24

The fun is in designing it how I want and building it.

Your right, Gynaikas, the most laughs overall are to be had racing. The place I will be doing most of my racing is at the Veladrome. I think I may be able to use the top speed set up untouched. Tall gearing and a long wind up is what you need.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
GYNAIKAS

Well I totally agree with you that 50% of the hobby is building, setting and modifying! I didn't get the part with the "laughs" that you said cause my English is terrible. I don't know the track but if it is an oval then of course you need top speed. (Tip: Stiffen the anti roll bars).
Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 PM
TommyGun24

With laughs I mean fun. You know laughing with your friends because its fun.

So with this design I hope to not only achieve a very high top speed but also use it for racing. Thanks for the anti roll bar tip.