Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Aerodynamics

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerodynamics

Very cool! I just love it when people push the boundaries of the hobby and really get creative.

Keep it up! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

On the aerodynamics issue, I consulted with one of my coworkers, and he said that attempting to calculate the Cd of a complex shape (especially a vehicle such as these) is extremely difficult. This is as a result of two factors: first, the area of the body is very tough to measure, and second, there are three disparate variables to consider; the flow over the object when moving, the compensation for surface roughness, and the drag inherent in the turbulence created between the vehicle and the ground (or track). These make the overall Cd very elusive.

Using the terminal velocity of a ball is a good starting point, but the same figure applied to a car is almost irrelevant. This is because of the fact that it is impractical to drop the RC from an extreme height, and even if this is possible it does not compensate for the roadway and turbulence. That makes it hard to consider estimating.

I know this is much to consider, and I will consult further if you'd like.

Until then, keep up with your research. It's such an interesting field!

~R
Old 06-12-2008, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aerodynamics

Yeah, this thing about the Cd makes it hard to calculate a precise calculation. Maybe we just have to make a wind tunnel to measure it like Formula 1 cars do Maybe we can arrange a meeting in Ferrari's tunnel That way we can measure and see Ferrari from close in one trip, GREAT!!! Hey Gyn, get ready your luggages, we are living tomorrow [>:]

Anyway, the bad thing with me and aerodynamics is that i am new to this since my school's lesons suck [:@] Now i must sit and study, not that i don't like it of course but because i must study for some hours to get used to and my time is really precious right now, even when i'm writing in RCU.