Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 PM
bigcam406

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

i just saw on the HPI site the new versions of the RS4'S.other than a new powerplant,different color bodies and chassis,2.4 ghz radios,anything else that is improved?i was wondering if they improved the steering and suspension at all.anyone know? thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Car-Tune

It's the same ol car just different color. But, I wonder what pinion gear number they use now. It's Orange..could it be a 24?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:55 AM
bigcam406

thanks for the reply.i guess the aformentioned changes justify the price increase as well.still,im looking forward to obtaining one,nice piece!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look no different as far as the suspension and steering.Good thing is that was all fine.What I was most surprised hasn't changed is that damned plastic brake disc...that thing is horrible and is most owners first upgrade.

I like that they keep refining it and retaining the same parts,makes it easy to get parts for it and keeps the same platform fresh.

I'll try to get pics up in a bit,got the day off and plan to mess with my intercooler coupling later and grab some pics.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:23 AM
Car-Tune

The reason it has the plastic break is cus its an RTR. HPI should be coming out with another rs4 soon. It will be a kit.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:29 AM
GALAXY

Why do you figure that?

My .12R SS kit came with the same plastic disc.Did they include a different one in the .18 SS kit?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Car-Tune

Yes, they had a different disk, pinions, and f/r differentials.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
FastRS4s
My Feedback: (2)

Well, i pretty much finished up my custom adapters for my rs4 to convert my rear tires into 2. Insted of ordering 44mm wide tires from japan, which is the only place you can get 1/10 scale 12mm hex touring foams i just ordered a 30mm tires along with the 26mm tire. i made a adapter that will allow you to combine the two to make a 56mm wide rear tire, which will greatly improve traction with rs4's that have big blocks in them...i might be putting in a .26 motor into my rs4 so its going to need all the traction it can get off the line...

But heres a pic of the adapter i made..these adapters will only work for the matrix touring car foam tires..i will post more pics once i test them out...i need to still order the 30mm foams..
Old 06-23-2011, 03:29 AM
FastRS4s

Heres some pics with the adapters installed.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
GALAXY

That looks nice and grippy! Love those GearWrench's too,haha.

I got my Evo X body in and picked up some paint and curved Lexan scissors.One of the light buckets was either dented or cooled wrong but as particular as I am about details I'm going to email HPI and see if they can just send another light bucket.

Still no fuel in at the LHS so I'll mess with the body and swapping everything to the other chassis while waiting on that.

Still workin on intercooler couplings but pics should be up this weekend.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Car-Tune

I will be traveling to Miami this Saturday with the family. My son and I wanted to see 100mph RC cars. Someone told me that they run on Sundays. Can anyone tell me where they run?

Also I was thinking of taking my RS4 with many upgrades and an OS 18tz (maybe 75-85mph) and my sons new stock Savage X in the plane but wondering where the hobby shops are so I could buy some Nitro fuel, if anyone could help me out would be greatly appreciated. I have a hotel booked but not sure where, but off the beach.

I will be in Miami from 6/2-6/9 and hopefully they run many nights.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Alain2

Hey i got my evo+ today and breaking in was not that fun. The back pressureline was kinda blocked inside the pipe,it was way too deep inside, making the engine lean. It took my few minutes to find out what was causing high rmp at idle.That con rod is strong!

Then on the 4th tank I hit a stupid pole. It was a driving mistake, it is my first on road car and I did not expect a big slide...Isandwiched the aluminium header. oups the engine died right away.

I don`t know where you guys ride those cars but the undercarriage is full of scratched.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: Alain2

Hey i got my evo+ today and breaking in was not that fun. The back pressureline was kinda blocked inside the pipe,it was way too deep inside, making the engine lean. It took my few minutes to find out what was causing high rmp at idle.That con rod is strong!

Then on the 4th tank I hit a stupid pole. It was a driving mistake, it is my first on road car and I did not expect a big slide...Isandwiched the aluminium header. oups the engine died right away.

I don`t know where you guys ride those cars but the undercarriage is full of scratched.

Man that sucks, this is one BIGreason why I always really go over all of my RTR's even though they are supposed to be Ready To Run Out Of The Box..

Ireally hate looking at a scratched up chassis too Iwent down to the local hardware store and bought a can of Truck Bedlliner. It comes in either spray can or pint paint can. The spray can was cheaper so Ibought it. Rather then try to take the chassis off and the Evo apart I simply sprayed the bedliner into a throw away bowl and applied it to the bottom of the chassis with a foam brush..

Bedliner in a can
http://www.levineautoparts.com/duptrucbedli.html

Here's the result

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21229.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1629975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya55615.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1629976  
Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM
GALAXY

Alain2,damn,rough start! Don't let it get to you though,now that you got that first crash out of the way and a few scratches on it...it's time ti get a new header and just drive! I'd check the actual engine where the header mounts though if you hit it that hard to flatten the pipe,could be bent or cracked as well.

I got my 30% Speed Blend!!!!

Time to start breaking mine in this weekend!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Alain2

I checked everything today and the engine is fine. I unflatten the header, it looks terrible but it isworking for now. Iwent for few tanks in a parking lot and stripped a wheel and nut. Cant fix that one, I will have to wait for parts.

I had time to tune it abit before it broke down. The HSN came factory 1 turn in from flush.??? I found a good tuning at .5 in from flush.

LSN was too rich at factury flush setting, .25 in from flush was good, good enough to stripa wheel. I will try leaner next time.Maybe that wheelwasn't installed properlyfrom factory, like the fuel line and HSN.

Do you guys strip wheels?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Car-Tune

You will strip when not tighten correctly. Try to tighten before you run.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 AM
GALAXY

I have not stripped a wheel yet but it's not out of my range of mistakes,haha.Like Monsterman mentioned,it may be a good idea to go over the rest of the car to make sure nothing else messes up.you can get the manual on HPI's site ..not sure if RTR's come with assembly instructions.

Sorry to hear about the wheel man but since it's "in the shop" I'd take the time to look it all over and make sure it's tight and right.Once I run a tank through mine I'm gonna check it all out and make sure nothing is loose,I put it back together in very spaced out steps and I bet theres not Loc-Tite on something.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM
FastRS4s

Whats up everyone...nobody has posted in a while....too give a little update on my rs4 project.....

I've been researching parts to replace the 36t and 14t diff gears with a 34t and 16t.....right now the rs4 evo 3's internal gear ratio is 2.56 which is to high for me..i am trying to get it down to 2.1....and it seems it will cost and arm and a leg to get one machined....has any one ever messed that much with changing the diff gears? Does anyone know a place to get bevel gears made?

Another thing i acually just got finished with is a engine mount plate.Putting that trx 3.3 in the rs4 made it challenging to get a proper gear mesh...so i made a 1/8 alumium plate which the engine block mounts mount to...then the plate gets mounted to the chassis....for some reason, the spur gears on the rs4 have a slight angle to the chassis..its weird...but...i figured it out and got the plate done...now if i wanna put bigger gears on, i am about an 1/4 of movment both ways for gear mesh...

I plan to maybe get a 35t spur gear made for ther 2 speed tranny.....i was also thinking of getting some smaller spur gears made..I think i might go with   39/23 and a 35/27.....then get my trx 3.3 drag modded.....i should be able to get over 80mph with this set up.....if i get those bevel diff gears made i would easiler be over 100mph...then if i put some 1/8 scale foams on...god damn...

Does anyone know who has the fastest HPI RS4 Evo 3?

Tom
Old 07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Car-Tune

All the 100mph runners don't chat here anymore. All they did was mod an OS 18 tz with the right gearing and hit 100mph. No special or custom parts made.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 AM
FastRS4s

I don't think thats possible. Atleast logically.

With a 2.56 internal ratio...with a 37/23 gear set up..and 65mm diameter foam tires, with a motor that spins 42,000 rpm...your not even at 80mph. At 50,000 rpm you just little over 91mph. i don't think a tz has that much....so just dropping in a motor thats been modded won't get you to 100mph.

BTW, WHERE do all the 100mph club members talk?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Car-Tune

It died out.

These runners made Their cars run with rear diff only, I'm pretty sure.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 AM
GALAXY

Us non 100mph club guys are still kickin though....just need my receiver pack charger and I'll be runnin!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM
GALAXY

I got my charger and charged the receiver pack this morning,once a finish my battery mount plate I'll be able to put some fuel in it and fire it up!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Alain2

It took me an hour to go through the stock tires, what do you guys use to bash in parking lot? I need something that will last.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Car-Tune

HPI belted tires.... I have never gone though tires that fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.