Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RS4 RTR 3 thread!!!!!!!Also type SS and others

Wow you just can't get a break can you.

I feel your pain I took mine out last night after work and grenaded the rear diff and none of my lhs have the replacements so Ebay here I come
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM
OldtimeRCer

Its the same here, I have to buy all my parts online. There is no LHS in my city, the closest is about 1 hours drive away. It doesn't matter much anyway, they don't carry HPI parts, and especially the old aluminum parts that probably aren't even made anymore. I have to shop on ebay from as far as hong kong to get the pieces. My RS4 3 is rapidly approaching the thousand dollar price tag because of hop-ups, parts, and repairs. I still need shocks for it, a proper exhaust system, better servo's, and a roto start wand that fits the tiger drive on the back of the motor.

I discovered a few other interesting bits while working on the car too. The previous owner had the 2-speed transmission put together not quite right, the spacer shim was in the wrong place. He put the tiger drive rotostart on the engine with its clutch bearing backwards, so it was trying to crank the engine in reverse. He also put the steering knuckle bushings in upside down, making a lot of play in the front steering, and causing the metal wheels to rub the steering hubs when you turn. Tightening the bushing screws also crushed one of them, making the steering bind if the screw was more than finger tight. Thankfully I have new steering hubs on the way that include fresh bushings.

I ordered a new plastic radio tray assembly, its the stock one from HPI. I have read this forum thread a lot, and some others that really race thier RS4 noted that the car is balanced better with the plastic radio setup. It also is good since the radio gear is fully protected and kept clean. The aluminum top frame looks nice, or the carbon fiber one, but I really don't like the radio gear hanging out in the air like that with exposed wiring.

I can say this, the car has been far from boring, and Ihaven't even started it yet! lol
Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Car-Tune

To balance my car out I added weights to the left side and to the front.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 PM
rx7devil210

Alright i just installed my new suspension but they seem soo soft. I added shock oil, and still seem too soft any ideas? Maybe i got a set of some crappy suspenion?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Car-Tune

What shocks, springs, oil and what valve are you using?

I'm using HPI aluminum shocks with purple and red springs, 80 oil weight (was using 35/40) and I'm
Pretty sure I'm using the 2 hole valve
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Car-Tune

For locking my front diff I have used hot glue gun to lock up
The diff.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:54 PM
OldtimeRCer

What do you guys think of the tamiya TRF flourine coated shocks?  Ever use them?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Jackedman

ORIGINAL: OldtimeRCer

Its the same here, I have to buy all my parts online. There is no LHS in my city, the closest is about 1 hours drive away. It doesn't matter much anyway, they don't carry HPI parts, and especially the old aluminum parts that probably aren't even made anymore. I have to shop on ebay from as far as hong kong to get the pieces. My RS4 3 is rapidly approaching the thousand dollar price tag because of hop-ups, parts, and repairs. I still need shocks for it, a proper exhaust system, better servo's, and a roto start wand that fits the tiger drive on the back of the motor.

I discovered a few other interesting bits while working on the car too. The previous owner had the 2-speed transmission put together not quite right, the spacer shim was in the wrong place. He put the tiger drive rotostart on the engine with its clutch bearing backwards, so it was trying to crank the engine in reverse. He also put the steering knuckle bushings in upside down, making a lot of play in the front steering, and causing the metal wheels to rub the steering hubs when you turn. Tightening the bushing screws also crushed one of them, making the steering bind if the screw was more than finger tight. Thankfully I have new steering hubs on the way that include fresh bushings.

I ordered a new plastic radio tray assembly, its the stock one from HPI. I have read this forum thread a lot, and some others that really race thier RS4 noted that the car is balanced better with the plastic radio setup. It also is good since the radio gear is fully protected and kept clean. The aluminum top frame looks nice, or the carbon fiber one, but I really don't like the radio gear hanging out in the air like that with exposed wiring.

I can say this, the car has been far from boring, and I haven't even started it yet! lol

I love the plastic radio tray. I have the MT2 18SS truck. its almost the same as the rs4 with a few differences. The tray has saved my ass a few times. Why use bushing in the steering if you have to replace them then why not use bearings?? I did that and the steering is alot smoother now. Just an idea. The trf springs arent to bad i have them on my TB02 with the trf shocks there mint

hey so how many of us are drifting there cars???
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
OldtimeRCer

The steering linkage parts have bearings in them, but the steering knuckle/hubs that are at the wheel, do not. They have a small sleeve style bushing. There is no way to put a ball bearing there, the sleeve is too small.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM
rx7devil210

Using some springs and shocks i ordered from ebay.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM
rx7devil210

Bizare hobbies sold it to me. They are coilovers so i just adjusted them there pretty stiff now. But not as stiff as the stock ones with the tensioners.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 PM
rx7devil210

Here is the new suspension..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82255.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	1821662  
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Jackedman

Looking good
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
rx7devil210

Will i have a power gain if i get the aluminum chrome tuned pipe?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Car-Tune

Some. But I recommend not buying HPI pipe
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM
rx7devil210

Hpi pipe?\
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM
rx7devil210

what should i do next to the car? Any suggestions? I got a big block coming for xmas. But what else should i do?

Bizare hobby springs and shocks
Carbon Brake disc
neon green fuel lines
cullivan dual mesh step fuel filter
adjustable chrome turnbuckles
zip tyed the head sink
snipped antenna tube
failsafe set

Those are all my mods wheat do you guys think i should do next? Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Fuel filter shouldn't be a mod, it should be a necessity, as well as the fail safe.

Not sure how you prime your motor, but getting any colored fuel tubing will prevent you from seeing where the fuel is in the line, which can lead to flooding the motor due to over priming it or a dry motor getting cranked and cranked.

The stock brake disc is extremely durable and long lasting, so no need to replace that with a flashy carbon disc.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTGZ2&P=Z]Titanium turnbuckles[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVK16&P=Z]Primeless fuel tank[/link]
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
rx7devil210

I got the carbon brake disc because other people said there stock brake melted at high speeds and its made of plastic.  And i have no problems seeing through the fuel lines, i can see it clearly.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM
OldtimeRCer

My new GPMbrake kit arrived today for my RS4 3. I got it from Bizarre Hobbies on ebay.

The stock HPI brake disk and pads didn't fit properly on the GPM aluminum transmission frame. Of course its GPM's fault, but still it didn't work. The GPM brake pad spacers are too short, and when I tighten the brake pad screws, it binds against the HPI plastic disk, locking the brakes. The new GPM brake kit uses carbon fiber pads that are the same thickness as the original HPI metal ones, and has a steel disk thats about 1/3 as thick as the HPIplastic disk. The new setup is a perfect fit with the GPM transmission mount. I don't know how long the carbon brake pads will last, hopefully they will have a decent lifetime.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM
fdjizm

If you're keeping your car slow the stock disc is fine, stop above 50-60mph a few times and the brake disc will melt!.
Ask me how I know
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
rx7devil210

Yea thats what i read up. Im getting a big block soon soo i might as well done the brakes so i did.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Jackedman

I put the fiber pad in the same that's in the mt2
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
OldtimeRCer

So far so good on the car fixing.

New HPIradio box arrived today. I do like it better than the aluminum top plate. No exposed wiring or receiver out in the air to get dirty. The plastic box also weighs less than the aluminum top plate.

Still waiting on 12 replacement aluminum GPM parts and the CVD set. Tracking says they are in the USnow, and should be here probably monday or tuesday.

I got the whole car updated to black allen screws, looks great. The normal cap screws are 2.5mm wrench size, and the countersunk ones are 2mm wrench. Strange that the same size threads have different size wrenches, but whatever.

Also ID'd the oversize cooling head on the engine. Its an RDLogics head. They still sell it on their site, www.rdlogics.com.

The other little engine is a Cox Olympic .15 from 1958. Was cleaning it up, so thought I would pose it with the car.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89970.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1822369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64020.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1822370  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 PM
rx7devil210

Looks great man. Im still debating on wether to upgrade to aluminum parts But where did you get your springs and shocks from? I like the color better then the ones i got from bizarre hobbies. Oh well im happy with my suspension thumbs up to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.