Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Suggestions for me and my sons

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 PM
philfree37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for me and my sons

I started a post in this forum not to long ago but I really needed to start another since technically I have another completely different question.

I'm wanting to get my 2 sons into the RC world but I have no idea what to start them on. One is 7 and the other is 8. We don't have many open fields to run off-road but we do have plenty of nice clean parking lots for on-road. Maybe a truggy with off-road and on-road tires in case we do find some land or a dirt track? I see so many choices that seems right but I am not sure what's a good car to start children off on at that age.

On the other hand, I myself want something pretty fast and serious. Back in 2005 I was deep into 1/8 buggies. I had a mugen and a xray which was a blast to race. But this time I am really wanting to try on-road. I was thinking of getting a kit, this way I can learn the car. Here are some of my choices.

DM-1 Pro

Kyosho RRR

Xray NT1 08 or 09 model

Now I know that the DM-1 Pro is strange being in there but I like what I've seen from it. I have some engines is mind but any suggestions would be helpful.
I know what kind of servos to get so I'm good there.

Now for the dumbest question an on-road noob can ask.

Can cars like the Evolva M3 be used for on the streets. I wouldn't mind having an on-road car I could get serious with. I hear that there is a nice on-road track here in the Cape Coral area. I still want to be able to have some fun with my children in the parking lots but get in some races every now and then. Is this possible?? Please don't trash me, I'm just curious, that's all. Are there street tires available for using these types of cars for little street running?

Thanks guys for your help. This place is awesome and you all are so helpful!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

Default RE: Suggestions for me and my sons

i have 2 onroad nitros right now that i love and use everyday for parking lot bashers. HPI RS4 3 Evo+ 3.0 and a Kyosho fw-06 and other then these 2 i have no experience with the models you are asking about but I can say that for the past 3 weeks thats ive had my first nitro onroads Tuning has been Perfect. The tuning on my 2 RC's has been the easiest thing ever and the cars in my eyes are very fast.

as for offroad i have 2 offroads Mini MGT 3.0 Monster and a OFNA LX One 1/8 buggy and im having a blast with them as well. Tuning is a bit harder on my mgt 3.0 then my onroads. Good luck finding your kids something so they can have some fun with. in my eyes and i gotta be truthfull I bought all these cars and trucks 3 weeks ago in one shot i spend ALOT of money and im having alot more fun offroad then On. Gets boring fast
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 AM
philfree37

so maybe I should get my sons an electric off-road and I should switch and buy an 1/8 buggy? I can use on-road tires until we hit some dirt. But those on-roads are calling my name!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

go for the onroad then. Like i said i cant speak for the onroads that you suggested all I can speak for is what i own personaly My 2 onroads are a Blast and the tuning on these cars is simple and both hold a tune very well. Both my cars were 300 each and came in RTR Form. Great parking lot bashers and they are fast. If your looking for an onroad/offroad the Jaot 3.3 can do both and is extremely fast. I have a friend with the Jato who uses it onroad and off and costs just a tad bit more then the cars http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductD...RA5509&click=2

(Onroad) Very simple to tune
HPI RS4 3 Evo+ 3.0
Kyosho fw-06

(Offroad)
OFNA LX One buggy
Mini MGT 3.0
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM
olkleaf

i would encourage you to stay away from a belt driven cars to drive on the street specially the high end racing cars like the kyosho v one or the nt1. Because they are designed to run on a clean and treated surfaces
i have tried running my Kyosho vone rrr evo2 on the street and all the little rocks kill your belts and pulleys.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Suprachrgd82

Visit your local hobby store. Purchase a vehicle that they carry replacement parts for. This will keep the kids interested by reducing down time if they break parts.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
philfree37

Thanks for the advice guys!

I will be taking the boys up to the hobby store probably tomorrow. Any advice on what I should get if not the xray or kyosho? I want something strong and fast. Maybe the DM-1 Pro 1/7??
Old 08-28-2009, 05:21 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

i cant be 2 sure on what your hobby store carries but where im from they DO NOT carry anything other then AE, OFNA, Traxxas, Losi and HPI. This was one of the reason for my Nitros i got now. the only reason they had the Kyosho fw-06 is because a customer ordered it then backed out so i snagged it. The only problem with the FW-06 is now i have to order all parts over the net. With my AE, OFNA and HPI they always keep stock up.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:56 PM
FP 4LC4PON3

hit me up im wondering what you snagged for you and your sons.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 PM
philfree37

I'm waiting to see if this weather clears up before going to the hobby store. I'll probably go for a DM-1 Spec or pro. Not sure which one to really go with. As for my sons, I will see what they like and make wise decision.

By the way, if any one has a DM-1 for sale please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM
FP 4LC4PON3

well lol its was beautiful today any luck? sorry just bored
Old 09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
oneofakindtrini

SearCh On eBay For A NiCe KiT On eBay... Even a Built Or Un-BuiLt 18SS... Being That You Can BasiCally Use Parts From The Normal Rs4 Also... The NtC3 iS Pretty Good KiT As Well.