Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Hey Brent need your input on OS.18TZ

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Hey Brent need your input on OS.18TZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
nitrohead5300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Brent need your input on OS.18TZ

Hey , Brent didnt you do some experimenting last year on a OS .18TZ?? Didnt you put a larger than stock carb on it?? I know it had a problem snapping rods but how did it run?? What kind of horsepower did it put out , did the big carb help?? I got a .18 I have been thinking about modding and putting in my V1RRR.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Brent Davis

Default RE: Hey Brent need your input on OS.18TZ

Man the .18 TZ is a very good engine but with alot of WOT throttle runs in a distance, the piston skirt broke twice right at the very bottom near the throw side of the rod. It seems like there's slight rod flex IMO but they are very good for drag racing in 132' drags. The larger carb was a HUGE plus and probably one of the issues that made the engine eat itself up. In fact, my .18 TZ is still useable. I have a new piston and new main bearing and just need to put it back together and it'll run again. Right now my RBmodded V-15 will outrun the .18 TZ in a 132' run so I am going to keep that for a while.

Get yours broken in good with boat fuel that is 20% nitro and 16% oil and as long as you don't run it past 200' WOT or so, it should last a while without any issues.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM
nitrohead5300

Thanks Brent do you remember what size and brand that carb was?? I like the .18tz because IMO it is the perfect motor to bash with in a 1/10 V1rrr. Especially after it has been modified.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Brent Davis

no doubt it is a bad azz engine for what it is. The cost is pretty low for the performance that the engine produces.

The carb is a turned down 9mm carb from a .21 and what a HUGE difference it made.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:59 PM
nitrohead5300

Oh my God Brent
Old 12-23-2009, 05:01 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

no doubt it is a bad azz engine for what it is. The cost is pretty low for the performance that the engine produces.

The carb is a turned down 9mm carb from a .21 and what a HUGE difference it made.
9mm?? I was thinking about using a 7mm-8mm carb. I guess I could used the carb restrictors with the 9mm.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
oneofakindtrini

The 18tz is flawless. I run that in my 18tz and it works well under WOt . Just traction is no where to be found if you're not on the right surface.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:07 AM
ziggy12345

Glad to hear you got good results from using a 9mm carb. I was going to do the same with mine. Also I will drill out the crank to 8mm, or maybe 8.5mm if it will take it, and raise the exhaust timing a few degrees for speed running.

The dyno result for that engine shows 80oz torque!! Thats the same as a Picco .28 FTT

Cheers
Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: oneofakindtrini

The 18tz is flawless. I run that in my 18tz and it works well under WOt . Just traction is no where to be found if you're not on the right surface.
LOL, yeah but at what distance is your WOT? Everybody has a different WOT distance and ours is 200+ feet ALL the time. The .18 TZ can't do that for a sustained period of time. Notice I said a "SUSTAINED PERIOD TIME". Not sayin that it can't be done but my experiences weren't great to me and my .18 TZ.

Ziggy, yes the 9mm made a HUGE difference and yes my crank bore was 8.5mm only because we did not want to aggrevate the crank pin area and weaken it by going up to a 9mm bore on the crank. Advanced timing also made a great improvement. Just take an aluminum carb and mill it down to fit the TZ block and let 'er rip.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:09 AM
oneofakindtrini

LOL, yeah but at what distance is your WOT? Everybody has a different WOT distance and ours is 200+ feet ALL the time. The .18 TZ can't do that for a sustained period of time. Notice I said a "SUSTAINED PERIOD TIME". Not sayin that it can't be done but my experiences weren't great to me and my .18 TZ.
At a estimate it would be at around 150feet or so.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Brent Davis

Oh, o.k. then I can safely say that it will work for that distance no problem. What you got your .18 TZ in?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
GTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any better small block engine that can run 200+?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 PM
oneofakindtrini

Oh, o.k. then I can safely say that it will work for that distance no problem. What you got your .18 TZ in?

I have it in my 18ss. It has taller gearing and foams and it absolutely rips. I put it 2weeks ago, damn how I miss it. lOl. Theres still snow here in queens and I don't want to go take it back out, But yeah you can safely do 150ft. no problem. Also I do run with a body on.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 PM
nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: GTB

Is there any better small block engine that can run 200+?
They all can in stock or mildley modified form. The more aggressive you get on the moddin the more stress you add.

Brent is right on the tolerance of the .18TZ. It is a great modified engine performance wise, but I have seen more than one crap out when just slightly pushed. I saw one a few months ago drag modified with full ceramics shatter the rod and the bearings inside of 150ft., on the third pass in the parking lot. About $350 shot.

I had strongly considered buying one, so I saved this dyno pull, but bought a drag modifed JLR .12 instead. This is the stock version of the .18TZ, as tested by Nitrodyne Systems, the maker of the X-Dyno. I can't put my hands on the modified version, but if I remember correctly, it pulled mid to high 45+ oz.in. torque and around 1.2/1.3hp maybe slightly higher.

From what I here and read on the drag scene, the RB V15 and a Nova .12 gave the .TZ a fit and was more reliable when modifed.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Brent Davis

Oh yeah nitrorevo, the RB V-15 WITHOUT a doubt will even run with a .21 if set up right. That is why I have a V-15 now and it is built with great quality parts in it. The .18 TZ is a basher engine IMO and OS didn't go after a better rod/piston because there's no on-road class for it and no need to put more $$ into an engine that won't sell as well if it was allowed in an on-road engine. Even the JLR .12 is a very good engine but again, cheaper rod material is killing that engine line.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/exclusiv...bye-picco.html

Yeah man having a few $$ in a TZ and have it blow on you sux especially after it is destroyed and can't be rebuilt.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 PM
nitrorevo

Oh yeah nitrorevo, the RB V-15 WITHOUT a doubt will even run with a .21 if set up right. That is why I have a V-15 now and it is built with great quality parts in it. The .18 TZ is a basher engine IMO and OS didn't go after a better rod/piston because there's no on-road class for it and no need to put more $$ into an engine that won't sell as well if it was allowed in an on-road engine. Even the JLR .12 is a very good engine but again, cheaper rod material is killing that engine line.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/exclusiv...bye-picco.html

Yeah man having a few $$ in a TZ and have it blow on you sux especially after it is destroyed and can't be rebuilt.
I agree. E was just tuning the one I saw blow. It was reaching a good tune, getting faster each pass, and on the 3rd or 4th pass, BAM. We all said, never again on an .18TZ. I was running my .12 that night as well, right with the .TZ, just doesn't have the low end tq. unless you stall it high to come in 16K rpm or so where as the TZ comes in a lot earlier. On the top end, that little .12 is nasty, but again the tune is not stable, probably do to the sucky Picco carb. Can't complain to much though, I learned if the mod cost as much as the engine, the extra money is better spent in a higherquality engine to start with.

Yea man the RB V15 is a much better made engine than all of the small blocks I owned or seen so far. Looks like a work of art when you open it up. Rick(RB MODS) should get my Rody Tuned version Friday, if he didn't get it already. Full Drag 132' an shut it down. I got lucky and came across a new Novarossi Turbo pipe set. Imagine that power in a Pro-Stock at 36oz. Just Nasty!!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:42 AM
ziggy12345

This is the original review of the engine.

http://www.osengines.com/reviews/osm...st-rcnitro.pdf

Page 4 has the dyno results.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:00 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: ziggy12345

Glad to hear you got good results from using a 9mm carb. I was going to do the same with mine. Also I will drill out the crank to 8mm, or maybe 8.5mm if it will take it, and raise the exhaust timing a few degrees for speed running.

The dyno result for that engine shows 80oz torque!! Thats the same as a Picco .28 FTT

Cheers

the 18TZ doesn't make 80 oz/in
Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 PM
nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: supertib

Cheers

the 18TZ doesn't make 80 oz/in
I totally agree. It is hard pressed to make 50oz. in. fully modified. That article and results has been debated many times on many forums, and the conclusion is the same. The results are fabricated. It would take two .18TZ's to match to power of the Picco .28FTT, or the O.S. .28XZ.

The X-dyno test I posted was from Nitrodyne systems, the maker of the X-Dyno, the same Dyno used by AB Mods. I own 3 AB modded engines, and they all feel at the throttle just like tested, and the .TZ is no different.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:58 PM
oneofakindtrini

Brent... How the hell did you manage to bend the Rod like that?
Old 12-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Brent Davis

Brent... How the hell did you manage to bend the Rod like that?

LOL, not my motor. I was just showing what a recent JLR .12 did.

CLICK the link and read it and you will see it aint mine.

nitro, yeah man I know that B&E wanted to get a .18 TZ ready for the upcoming season but it looks bad hugh? Oh well. They already know how the V-15 runs.

I also agree that there's no frakin way a .18 TZ is making the same TQ as a .28 P3..........no way, no how.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 PM
ziggy12345

I have a Picco .28 and an OS .18 and I agree. I was just posting the info. I have no idea where these guy come up with these figures. Isnt there a law against stuff like that?
Old 12-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Brent Davis

I have a Picco .28 and an OS .18 and I agree.

I've got both too and disagree. No ****in' way is a .18 TZ making more TQ than my P3 .28

My P3 has been solid 1.90's @ 63 MPH in my drag car and my TZ hasn't been out of the 2.0's @ 58-60 MPH ranges. Both modded engines yada, yada, yada. To each his own dream I guess.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:25 AM
MiamizFinest

I have a Picco .28 and an OS .18 and I agree. I was just posting the info. I have no idea where these guy come up with these figures. Isnt there a law against stuff like that?
No offence man, but your way off base before you post info like that make sure you know what your talking about. Remember what happens when you ASUME things
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 AM
nitrorevo

I have a Picco .28 and an OS .18 and I agree.

I've got both too and disagree. No ****in' way is a .18 TZ making more TQ than my P3 .28

My P3 has been solid 1.90's @ 63 MPH in my drag car and my TZ hasn't been out of the 2.0's @ 58-60 MPH ranges. Both modded engines yada, yada, yada. To each his own dream I guess.
Brent,

Ain't no way the TZ will ever pull that Pro-mod like that bad azz Drag modded P3 you got or a nice .21 which makes nearly double the power. My Pro-mod is about 46oz., well over the 40oz.min. If your car is about the same weight, the TZ can't go under 2.0, due to the lack of tq., it just doesn't have the power to do it.

That's why the TZ guys have gone 21's. The min. chassis weight for the .18 and .21 engine is the same no matter Pro-stock or Pro-mod.

A smart guy would consider running a pro-stock chassis or promod at 10.5 or 11in. wheel base and come in at a low 36oz. and use an RB V15 drag modded by RB Mods ad run 1.7's....LMAO!! There was such a dude making his own shaft drive chassis that looked short and wicked just like that, but I don't know if that's what he is really up to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.