RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

HOW TO BREAK IN AN ENGINE???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
coxie1996
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO BREAK IN AN ENGINE???

ok i have a Team Magic G4 with an STS .12 5port. i have never had a nitro car and need help because it needs broken in. i have 20% odonell fuel. so i just need help/tips on ur experience thanks for the help and for your time
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
vpower

Default RE: HOW TO BREAK IN AN ENGINE???

if its a two speed never let it get to second speed. after every tank of fuel let it rest for five ten minutes once you get to the fith tank let it reach 2nd speed for a second and stop do this till you waste the tank. again let sit for 5-10 minutes. repeat step for 6th tank and once in 7th tank let it get to 2nd for 3 seconds and stop after this tank wait 3 min and you can start the real driving. just remember to have the car's high speed set to real rich and i recommend using break-in blend fuel if you want a long lasting motor. also check the temp guage and never let it pass 200 f

good luck
Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 PM
wrcsti

ORIGINAL: vpower

if its a two speed never let it get to second speed. after every tank of fuel let it rest for five ten minutes once you get to the fith tank let it reach 2nd speed for a second and stop do this till you waste the tank. again let sit for 5-10 minutes. repeat step for 6th tank and once in 7th tank let it get to 2nd for 3 seconds and stop after this tank wait 3 min and you can start the real driving. just remember to have the car's high speed set to real rich and i recommend using break-in blend fuel if you want a long lasting motor. also check the temp guage and never let it pass 200 f

good luck
Damn, On my car I just ran 2 tanks on it iddling and then ran it rich and slow while I learned the whole reverse controlls whenits coming at you. By the time I had that figured out It was ok to go. I kept it rich as my heatfins sucked balls and I never raced it.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 AM
coxie1996
My Feedback: (3)

ok well thanks it helps alot guys
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure when you shut down the engine that you keep the piston at BDC. It is a good idea to make a mark on the fly wheel so you can easily tell when the piston is all the way down. Also I think 200 degrees is a bit low. I would try to get closer to 240-250 degrees and if the engine doesn't get warmed up enough there will be too much stress on the rod. as the engine heat up the sleave will expand which allows the piston to move up and down easier. this relieves the stress on the rod and allows the engine to break in. You may also want to loosen the glow plug a bit when the engine is new to let it turn over easier and once it is running tighten the plug back up.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Most important its not in "the pinch zone" I've been told, when resting