Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

steel geared ball diffs for NTC3

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 AM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steel geared ball diffs for NTC3

i was wondering if any one knows of any steel geared ball diffs for the NTC3 or ofna's LD3 or CD3. i haven't had any problems as of yet but would like to be prepared in the event of a catastrophy! or even somewhere i can buy a sealed diff unit complete for either of these with steel gears and or pinions in steel?

maybe does any one know if the ofna clutch bell pinions fit on the NTC3 clutch bell?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:22 AM
nitrohead5300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: steel geared ball diffs for NTC3

Check nitrohouse, stormer hobbies and amain hobbies . They may have some LD-3 steel gear diffs. Or you can do what I did. I took an associated spool and put a LD-3 steel spur gear on it instead of the plastic one now you have a soild rear end. Take the associated one way front diff and replace the plastic diff spur gear with a LD-3 steel one just like you did the rear diff and you got a bullet proof set up. You also would need a LD-3 steel pinion gear to complete the task. You are going to have to take your time and center the spur gear on the spool and one-way diff before you attach it and modify the driveshaft for the LD-3 pinion. You realise with a soild rear end you can only run on high traction surfaces. Here is apicture of my old Nitro TC-3 it has a Nova Rossi .28 on it and the LD-3 steel diff spur gears . No diff problems and the car is 2 years old.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 PM
bigdogkanicsar

nice that looks pretty clean, i have to ask thought, the exhaust being that close to the tank how hot does it get? is that jb weld i see holding the stinger on? is that the rustler fuel tank? hows the vibration in the fuel? that ver2 suspension works nice don't it? what gearing are you using? hey, do you know if ofna cd3, ld3 pinions fit the NTC3 clutch bell?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
nitrohead5300

The exhaust header is not that close to the fuel tank it just appears that way in the picture. Yes the fuel tank is a Traxxas. Gear ratio is 1st 21-54 & 2nd 27-48. On the pinions fitting the clutchbell I don't know for sure ask Brent Davis he is the Ofna King he would know.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
bigdogkanicsar

so your 1st and 2nd gear are pretty far apart, so how what's your top speed? thanks i will ask brent about the ofna pinions.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
nitrohead5300

Top Speed ?? It was fast the extra torque of the motor helped it pull thru the wide spaced gears. But I never had it timed, The TC-3 was a good car that I used to race high speed oval against my buddies but I kinda loss interest in it when I got my 1/5 scale.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
bigdogkanicsar

nice 1/5th scale, but those are way out of my cash flow. some of the parts for my NTC3 i make here at home. watchin' some of the 65mph runs from the traxxas jato i know is deffinetly faster than that by at least 15 mph and if the ofna pinion gears will fit the NTC3 i can pull a few more mph's out of her. i found an O.S. engine that has 45,000 rpm's but is 450$ so i have to save my pennies for that one and then it will surely run at least 100mph i hope.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
nitrohead5300

You might have to check into getting some custom gears made to hit 100mph. Here is a link http://www.wmberg.com
Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
bigdogkanicsar

i will definetly check that out . thanks for the link.