Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Thunder tiger help for a noob! Engine won't run after I remove the glow starter it just stops!

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

Thunder tiger help for a noob! Engine won't run after I remove the glow starter it just stops!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Pug306moddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder tiger help for a noob! Engine won't run after I remove the glow starter it just stops!

hey guys, just after some help from people who know better.

ive had this car for along time now and its been growing old and unloved. i came to get it going again recently and the only way i could get it running was to leave the glow starter on the car engine, if i removed the starter it just cuts the engine. when i left it on i tried to use the throttle and brake and it made no differnce to the engine, the only way to make the engine do anything was to turn the screw on the fuel pipe leading into the carb.

so i dont know where the problem could be and how i can solve it. i want to try and do it with minimal costs involved.

hope someone can help, cheers kyle
Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM
hyper701

Default RE: Thunder tiger help for a noob! Engine won't run after I remove the glow starter it just stops!

Try a new glow plug.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
gary132

Default RE: Thunder tiger help for a noob! Engine won't run after I remove the glow starter it just stops!

pug the glow plug is dead replace it, dont mess with that screw its the top end mixture screw.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Pug306moddy

ok so ive changed the glow plug and now i can when changing the mixture get the car to run. but i need some help with actually getting it working.

so what happens is i can it going and it chewed through an entire tank of fuel in 1 minute so im quessing the mixture is completly wrong. as soon as i try to change the mixture the car just speeds up with no control over the throttle and i have to have the cars wheels off the ground to do this otherwise it would just burn itself out. what is it i need to be altering to get it to calm down? its just uncontrallable and ive tried to alter the mixture screw etc and adjust throttle on controller but nothing seemsd to be change it to make this usable.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 AM
hyper701

i think your going to have to turn all the needles back to factory standard and re-tune it from scratch.

to tune: start engine, get temp up, start with the high end needle, wind it in 1/8th of a turn at a time untill it screams its **** off (but make sure it still leaves a trail of blue smoke), then when you get that rite turn the low end in 1/8th of a turn at a time untill it does not bog down off the start.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Pug306moddy

sorry to sound like a complete retard but i only know about the top end mixing screw (the one where the pipe from the fuel tank runs to, didnt know there was another one?????? thanks kyle
Old 05-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If an engine dies when you remove the glo-starter, it is a sign that the engine is running too rich. The excess fuel can extinguish the glow-plug element unless the glow-driver keeps it hot.

Factory settings are usually quite rich in order to help start the engine, but sometimes so rich the engine won't keep running, so leaning is required, even if break-in isn't complete, a little leaning is often required.

When the engine dies, is the engine at idle (sounds like it)? The try leaning the low-speed mixture by turning in the low-speed needle (LSN) about 1/4 turn. It may need more. A quick (and rough) way to tell is the pinch test. With the engine running, pinch the fuel line shut close to the carb. If the engine immediately speeds up and dies, the mixture is too lean. If it stays steady for a little while (like 10 seconds or more) and then slowly dies, it's too rich. It should run only about 3 seconds and then stop if it's close to where it should be.

The low-speed mixture needle (if it has one) is usally at one end of the carb. The high speed needle usuallyu stands up and is close to the fuel inlet on the carb.

You might want to Google "RC Nitro Engine Tuning" and read some of the tips. Try this link for a start:

http://www.nitrorc.com
Old 05-14-2010, 02:43 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Pug306moddy

sorry to sound like a complete retard but i only know about the top end mixing screw (the one where the pipe from the fuel tank runs to, didnt know there was another one?????? thanks kyle
so, what kind of vehicle is it?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 PM
etopsflight

it's a thunder tiger but what model?

mate, read your manual. you need to go back to stock settings for idle screw, low speed needle (LSN) and high Speed Needle (HSN). ensure your servo trims are at neutral too.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Pug306moddy

Its a thunder tiger ts4n pro 15.

ok so i think i located the other screw (there both next to the air filter) the high speed valve being the one with a slotted head, the other being with a small allen key??????????    the slotted head which i think is the high speed one is he one when i alter it ,maked a differnce, but the other low speed one doesnt seem to make any differnce what so ever. im really struggling to get this sorted, i tried all combinations yesterday but cant seem to get anywhere.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:01 AM
bigdogkanicsar

so, i went to thundertiger.com and tried to download a manual ,but that didn't work so well. however does the allen head screw pretty much stick straight up in the air? if so i do beleive that it's the idle screw. one one end or the other coming in from the side of the carb there may be another slotted screw and that would be your low speed needle. now, if there is a slotted screw on both ends then you have a three needle carb, in which case one is the low speed and one being the mid range needle. as to which one is which i am not sure. do you still have the engine manual? if so ,there is got to be a page that explains the carb and its adjustments. it is possible that thunder tiger made some carbs with a single needle carb and if thats the case then the high speed needle is all you got and the other being the idle screw. hope i didn't confuse you. post again if you have trouble
Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Pug306moddy

yeh the pipe coming from the fuel tank comes into the slotted screw needle. then theres the air filter then on the other side of that theres the allen key head which sticks striaght up. but this seems to make absolutly no differnce whatsoever. im afriad i lost the manual and have struggled finding it online.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 AM
bigdogkanicsar

i beleive the allen screw is the idle adjustment which basicly keeps it runnin'. so, there are no other screws on the carb? to me it sounds like the idle is set too low and /or the high speed needle could be set too rich

if its been stored for a long time you might want disassemble the engine and clean it out WEll. or take it to your local hobby shop and have them do it if you are not sure where to start.

as far as a manual goes, are there any numbers on the engine of any sort? possibly on the bottom of the engine.