Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

why are mini crawlers so expensive

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

why are mini crawlers so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM
crutch619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are mini crawlers so expensive

ok i really want to get into crawling but why are the mini crawlers just as expensive as the 1/10's i mean the redcat rs 10 looks like a nice beginner crawler and all the mini's are like a 100 bucks more than it does sum one know how to get into crawlin at a reasonable price? thanks to all who reply
Old 09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: why are mini crawlers so expensive

If you are going to get into crawling then go with the Axial AX10.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 PM
crutch619

well i wanted to get into crawling and not spend 300.00 just to bash and crawl im in afganstain right now and looking at all these crawlers had bit me y are the minis just as expensive as the large scale ones i dont get it
Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 PM
zman5000

is it the exchange rate? all usa companies as well as most asian companies just set any price they want. even the usa companies that have their stuff made up in asia to cut costs still want to get rich. it's the american way- free enterprise.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 PM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

get a used one from the buysell section for 200 or less for a stock ax10
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM
fastandloud

Demand
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
fastandloud

The Losi 1/18th crawlers are very cool and capable. The RTR comes with a 2.4 spektrum which is cool, and theres a really descent aftermarket, they also happen to be super hot right now. You should definately consider just buckin up the extra cash and getting something a little bigger like a new or used Axial. I have a SCX-10 trail rig and a AX-10 2.2 crawler...Love em both!!! Having the larger ones tho..I drool over the minis every time im in the LHS
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 AM
crutch619

i see were demand could drive the price up and but really think about the money it takes to produce one of these if its 1/18 size or 1/24 size why should this price be just as expensive as a 1/10 size or even a 1/18 size consriding what brand you buy i mean like i have been in this hobby since i was 16 and am now 30 and not much of a buildler but very much so a basher and just recently have joined the 1/16 e revo craze and really want to get into a rockcrawler and have looked on ebay and i really think the rs 10 is a good buy for its price but damn the minis look so awesome just dont see how they justify the price they ask for them
Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM
LewAshby
Banned

Lack of demand keeps the production prices higher.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: crutch619

i see were demand could drive the price up and but really think about the money it takes to produce one of these if its 1/18 size or 1/24 size why should this price be just as expensive as a 1/10 size or even a 1/18 size consriding what brand you buy i mean like i have been in this hobby since i was 16 and am now 30 and not much of a buildler but very much so a basher and just recently have joined the 1/16 e revo craze and really want to get into a rockcrawler and have looked on ebay and i really think the rs 10 is a good buy for its price but damn the minis look so awesome just dont see how they justify the price they ask for them
The RS10 might look like a good buy for the price but you need to also take into consideration the aftermarket parts support. The AX10/SCX10 trucks have all of the other crawlers beat in that department. Also remember you get what you pay for when you buy inexpensive RC's..
Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM
crutch619

ya but i dont wanna get into it all serious and crazy with it just wanna bash around and try it for the first time and ive done tons of research on it and seem sum of the axial stuff fits on it and it seems to get a bad rap because of its price and such ive read more good things about it than bad on most of the crawling forums of several sites
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
The Mad Modder

ive done tons of research on it and seem sum of the axial stuff fits on it and it seems to get a bad rap because of its price and such ive read more good things about it than bad on most of the crawling forums of several sites
What might those parts be? Both Redcat crawlers are motor on axle trans design while the ax10 is not.

There is a reason why most people don't buy recat cars. Eventually parts are liable to break(they do for almost any RC car or truck) and redcats tend to be difficult to find parts for when you need them.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM
ReaperGN

If your going to get a crawler go for a larger one. The little ones are cool but without a local coarse or people to drive with they will get boring. At least with a big one you can do a lot more with and when you get bored with crawling it doesn't take much to convert them into monster trucks. Plus for what most small crawler's cost you could get something like a converted clodbuster.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
crutch619

well today i blive today i worked a trade for a venom creeper crawler for my 1/16 vxl slash with stuff to convert it to a e revo so im pretty happy with that whats the general consenus with this crawler it will b my first lol poping my crawler cherry with it
Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM
zman5000

you know i bought 1 new and 1used maisto crawler, 1 at wally world and one at goodwill and they area hoot. the first one i put a 2 cell lipo in it, and some prolinechisels and it was a lot of fun. i'm retired from crawling and it's all about fun these days and the maisto delivers. if i get ambititous i might install a better steering servo but's that's allthat i would change. can you say that about a name brand crawler?the new one was$30 and the used one was $20.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
The Mad Modder

well today i blive today i worked a trade for a venom creeper crawler for my 1/16 vxl slash with stuff to convert it to a e revo so im pretty happy with that whats the general consenus with this crawler it will b my first lol poping my crawler cherry with it
The creeper would be a good crawler to start crawling with. It's inexpensive and rather durable from what I hear.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: zman5000

you know i bought 1 new and 1 used maisto crawler, 1 at wally world and one at goodwill and they are a hoot. the first one i put a 2 cell lipo in it, and some proline chisels and it was a lot of fun. i'm retired from crawling and it's all about fun these days and the maisto delivers. if i get ambititous i might install a better steering servo but's that's all that i would change. can you say that about a name brand crawler? the new one was $30 and the used one was $20.
The ax10 can be upgrade to an all metal drivetrain, how about the maisto? What about cvds? I'm not trying to say that it's a bad truck, but higher end crawlers DO have advantages above cheaper ones. The extra money that you'd pay for an Axial isn't just for a name. For the most part you're paying for metal parts over plastic.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
jsowens

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

What might those parts be? Both Redcat crawlers are motor on axle trans design while the ax10 is not.

There is a reason why most people don't buy recat cars. Eventually parts are liable to break(they do for almost any RC car or truck) and redcats tend to be difficult to find parts for when you need them.
Let's see here...axial offset aluminum wheels, aluminum steering knuckles, practically any aftermarket chassis fits, those fancy colored axial links fit, axial shocks fit, and all the nice ESC's, rx/tx's, and decent crawler servos fit. Not to mention the rs10's have metal gear sets now (which is something people complained about before) and have plenty of people who run them without breaking (myself included...my rs10 has only seen stripped gears, which is fixable). As of right now, the only downfall (if it's even a downfall) to the redcat rigs are the motor selection and the lack of cvd's, which I've never really needed. Several people have modded the gearboxes to run dual 540 motors with great luck. Now, I'm not trying to get an axial vs. all the rest debate going on...I'm attempting to clear up the misconception that the rs10 is a sub-par rig with no aftermarket following. As far as the parts availability debate is concerned...yes that could be an issue for some of you folks who have hobby shops stocked full of axial parts. Myself, on the other hand, have a hobby shop that barely carries anything crawler related so I have to mailorder...and mailordering rs10 parts is no issue for me. Also, before it's asked, yes I do own an axial based rig also and know that they're great platforms, but I also have first hand knowledge of the rs10's capability and I'm sure a lot of the redcat bashers don't have that.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 PM
crutch619

ok  jsowens i think this thread has been needing your post lol i personally think i would love an rs 10 im just in afganstain at the moment and cant just put on on a bird to me yet i guess im kinda hoping santa does that lol with a wife and two kids i have a feeing there getting first pick lol so do part interchange for the creeper like u decribed for the rs 10 i traded sumthing that was just way to fast for me for the creeper so it didnt cost me anything and its my first crawler so all this parts interchanging will b new research for me thanks again guys
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Love the debate! I see where both sides are coming from. I own both a comp creeper with what I consider necessary upgrades, and, an scx with a few as well. It's easy to see why certain loyalties exist after somebody shells out more cash for an axial or the like. I also understand that unless a part actually breaks, who cares if it is metal or plastic? I've been out on the trail with buddies who will subject me to the "myaluminum shocks are so much smoother than the old stockers" stuff. Meanwhile, they can't take my line cuz they bought shocks instead of upgrading their drivetrain. Does it really matter if one shock is smoother than the other? Some will say yes. I personally dont care if it's metal or not, as long as it works and does not hinder me on the trail or, in competition. And yes, I've spent 60$ on shocks. The redcat folks have a point, if it breaks- fix it. But, because it doesn't have axial or losi on the side, doesn't make it any less of a machine.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 AM
jsowens

Crutch, yep...parts are pretty easy to come by for a creeper also. One of my crawling buddies bought a creeper a little before I bought my rs10, so over the course of the past year we've been modding both rigs and running them against each other to see how they do. I'm not sure that things like axial cvd's or anything like that will fit...and the ax-10 transmissions will require a different skid plate to bolt up to, but the transmissions do work with a creeper. All the little small bits like wheels, links, chassis, etc... should work with little to no effort, but if you do decide on getting an aftermarket chassis, be aware that the creeper transmission might not bolt up to the skid without drilling.

Jado6, exactly...I've seen a constant debate during the time I've owned mine. Brand loyalties obviously exist and that's cool. My rs10 keeps up with my buddy's creeper, as well as holding it's own against some of my friends who have axial rigs and the like. There are some lines they can do that I can't, and likewise some lines I can do that they can't. It has a lot to do with driver experience also...You could have an ax-10 with an insane amount of upgrades and it'll do horrible under the command of a bad driver. I've never cared if I can stroll down to the hobby shop to get a replacement if something breaks...Hell, I had to wait almost a week when I stripped the gears in my rs10, but that's fine. Another common complaint is that the rs10's are underpowered...mine certainly isn't. I'm running a pair of 13 turn cobalt pullers in it...it holds it's own.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: jsowens

Let's see here...axial offset aluminum wheels, aluminum steering knuckles, practically any aftermarket chassis fits, those fancy colored axial links fit, axial shocks fit, and all the nice ESC's, rx/tx's, and decent crawler servos fit. Not to mention the rs10's have metal gear sets now (which is something people complained about before) and have plenty of people who run them without breaking (myself included...
Gee, I couldn't have guessed that someone would list all the standard crawler parts that will fit almost ANY crawler. Almost all RC's break parts, whether it be abuse or just an accident. When parts do break, I'd much rather be looking for Axial parts than redcat; they are much easier to find.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
jsowens

That post was primarily for the guys considering a rs10 to show them that parts will fit. When it comes down to it you're comparing a set of axles to a set of axles. The only thing the rs10 doesn't have going for it is cvd's an an aluminum axle housing, the aluminum axle housing being something that most people don't even buy. Maybe it's easy for you to find axial parts...in fact, good for you. For me, I have to spend an equal amount of time online searching for redcat parts, on the rare occasion that I need something, than I do axial parts...not to mention I have to wait on it to arrive by mail. I'm sure not everyone has that luxury to drive down to their LHS and find a bunch of axial parts.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:22 AM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

js, arguing with those axial guys is a waste of time. They're irritating as hell! By the way, my scx is the king of all trail rigs!..... I kid- see you out there
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM
crutch619

Well I blive I have traded around for a venom creeper for my vxl slash which is just way to fast for me. Must say I just hope the creeper can b a good beginner crawler for. But still the moa aspect of the rs10 draws me in lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.