Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Dangerous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

Hi, I need help im making a R/C Buffalo, if you didnt know its a mine clearance vehicle, im in the US Army in Afghanistan and on my free time (not much free time lol) im starting to get it done, where I need help at is with the Axles, Leaf Springs, and Tires. the Tires I seen the closest ones to be the Losi Rock Cravers 2.2 at 5.2" diameter but I dont know the width and that has to be 1.7" or close to it. The Axles I need them to be 8.4", I was looking at the TLT-1 Axles but cant find wow long they are.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Help needed

ORIGINAL: Dangerous

Hi, I need help im making a R/C Buffalo, if you didnt know its a mine clearance vehicle, im in the US Army in Afghanistan and on my free time (not much free time lol) im starting to get it done, where I need help at is with the Axles, Leaf Springs, and Tires. the Tires I seen the closest ones to be the Losi Rock Cravers 2.2 at 5.2'' diameter but I dont know the width and that has to be 1.7'' or close to it. The Axles I need them to be 8.4'', I was looking at the TLT-1 Axles but cant find wow long they are.
Axial ax10 axles are 7 1/2" from hex to hex, tlt axles are 1/2"to 1" narrower(didn't measure them). HPI wheely king axles are 8 3/8" hex to hex.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51121
Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
gohstwrighter

for some of what you are doing  git a pic of what u are trying to build make a 1:1 scale pic and take your meserments  thin u can talk to your guyes in the moter pool to see if thay can give u a hand your leef springs should be easy anny broken pullstarter spring can be cut to lingth heat the ends to role the metal and u got your leef springs .as for the axels it wood depind on howmuch beer or other booze you buy them as to what thay wil make you.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:14 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not meant to be making fun,,, Buuttt,,, It looks like you are having several yourself!!

ORIGINAL: gohstwrighter
.as for the axels it wood depind on howmuch beer or other booze you buy them as to what thay wil make you.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Dangerous

I will soon upload some pic's, and I found the best tires and wheels for the job "2.2 Militants Wheels Rear" and "MIL-SPEC ZXL 2.2 Tires". The Mad Modder so the TLT-1 Axles are 1/2" wide right thats good for me.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 PM
The Mad Modder

I will soon upload some pic's, and I found the best tires and wheels for the job ''2.2 Militants Wheels Rear'' and ''MIL-SPEC ZXL 2.2 Tires''. The Mad Modder so the TLT-1 Axles are 1/2'' wide right thats good for me.
Yep, tlt-1 axles are 7" wide hex to hex.
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22379 (post 3)

Since you're doing a 6x6, you're going to need to modify the middle axle case to have an input and output shaft. I've seen people take two sets of tlt-1 axle cases and bolt two of the output shaft sides together to get a middle axle. I believe that the only thing you'd have to do to get them to fit is remove the mounts for the steering knuckles on one of the case halves.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Dangerous

Heres some pics just starting and dont have alot of free time and rescources overhere

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...01174309-1.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...5-01174548.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...01174623-1.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...-4362C-009.jpg
Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 AM
The Mad Modder

So far so good. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this truck coming together.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Dangerous

I making the windows got left and right side cut out, need the front cut out and glass put in, I will post the pics up when im done. Does any know if iPhly with Transmitter and Receiver any good or go with 2 stick transmitter?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Dangerous

Hey The Mad Modder,
You said the HPI Wheely Kings, let me know if im right the HPI Axle/Diff Case Set, Front/Rear doesnt have the rods or gears inside it right. Do know what type of rods and gears I would need. I been looking around and see HPI Universal Drive Shaft Set: EFS, FS ~ 100605, HPI Differential Gear Set 15/38T: E10/Brama 10b ~ 88000 but these are different then the forums I see, btw these are at www.ehobbies.com
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Dangerous

OK so heres the update of the Buffalo I put the windows in, the fuel tank, and the Tranny case thats thing in the middle. I got most of the things coming in and I found out how to do real looking leaf springs
Here's the pics
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Dangerous

OK Guys I got an update for you I put the windows in, the fuel tank, and the tranny case. I got most of the things coming to Afghanistan it should be here in about 1-2 weeks, also got stuff for a working arm with pneumatics, and I found out how to make a real looking leaf springs. Here and some pics of the update

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 AM
The Mad Modder

Hey The Mad Modder,
You said the HPI Wheely Kings, let me know if im right the HPI Axle/Diff Case Set, Front/Rear doesnt have the rods or gears inside it right. Do know what type of rods and gears I would need. I been looking around and see HPI Universal Drive Shaft Set: EFS, FS ~ 100605, HPI Differential Gear Set 15/38T: E10/Brama 10b ~ 88000 but these are different then the forums I see, btw these are at www.ehobbies.com
Sorry, I missed this post.I don't know if you're still looking for the info or not. The case sets only includes the plastic housings none of the insides.

The other parts you'd need besides those axle cases(per axle):

1x 87600 hpi diff gear set(includes the ring gear for the axle, the diff gears inside and shims for adjusting the mesh between the ring and pinion)
1x 86813 HPI Drive Shaft 6x82mm(drive shafts for inside the axles)
1x 86810 hpi Gear Shaft 5x6x29mm(axle input/pinion shaft)
1x A855 HPI DIFF FINAL GEAR SET (P1x38T/ Px13T)(NITRO RS4 MT) (axle pinon gear)
1x 85252 hpi HUB CARRIER SET (Right/ Left)(includes axle ends, steering knuckles and wheel hub)
1x A549 AXLE 5 x 40mm (REAR)(wheel stub shafts)
1x Z264 PIN 2 x 10mm SILVER(pin for wheel hub)
1x z290 screws for steering pivot

It would be a lot more economical to find a complete axle someone's selling on ebay.

BTW, it's looking great so far. I like the all metal construction.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Dangerous

Dont worry about it, I bought compete sets off of Ebay 2 for $52 and 1 for $57. But thanks I might need to order another 86813 HPI Drive Shaft to make it 6x6, just trying to find about these microcontrollers. two make the control valves on the pneumatics arm work Grrrr its driving me crazy, I found this one on YouTube but the guy wont help me, said the programing is hard and it was years ago.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 AM
The Mad Modder

If you're talking about modifying one of the axles to have two input shafts(for letting the power pass through the axle to the next) you'd need another axle case, pinion shaft(86810) and pinion gear(A855).

Sorry I don't know much about how RC pneumatics or hydraulics work.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Dangerous

The Mad Modder
Sorry I don't know much about how RC pneumatics or hydraulics work.
Yea, I got order another case, just need to order the pinion shaft(86810) and pinion gear(A855)
As for the Pneumatics I didnt know how the valves worked on the pneumatics, I had to call the company up and they gave me the best answer but to control them I would need to use 2 channels or make a micro controller and my transmitter doesnt support using a Y-Cable to control the servo independent, I have bought a Airtronics RDS8000 8-Channel 2.4GHz Crawler Tx/Rx.

CH 1 for Throttle, CH 2 Steering, CH 3 Rotating Arm, CH 4 First Arm Cylinder, CH 5 Sec Arm Cylinder, CH 6 Third Arm Cylinder, CH 7 Fourth Arm Cylinder.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Dangerous

Hi, Guys will heres another update almost done yay

Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Jado 6
My Feedback: (1)

Incredible ****. I look at that thing & think of all that time i don't have. That's a big hot *****!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 AM
SFC K

Wow! that is crazy looking! How is the chassis holding up to all tha weight and do you have any pictures of how you mounted the drive train and axles?

Nice M249 on the floor too by the way... It must be hard building something like that in a tent.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Dangerous

SFC K
How is the chassis holding up to all tha weight and do you have any pictures of how you mounted the drive train and axles?
the chassis has 4 holding parts just like the real thing I used 1" Square Tubing and hose clamps to mount the axles. I was going to use smaller tubing for the rear but I couldn't get it so I did it with what I got, as for pics I dont have any pics of the drive train and axles its just HPI wheely king axles and the drive shafts are from RC4WD.com

Jado 6 thanks,
I wanted to build something when I come into Afghanistan just didnt know what, till my buddy got killed in a IED blast thats when I started to get the Buffalo ago ahead.

My next Project is to build a R/C Husty

When I get back to my duty station, I am going to fiberglass them