Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Looking for Wraith shock upgrade recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Looking for Wraith shock upgrade recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Wraith shock upgrade recommendations

I've been running my Wraith that I built as a kit for almost a year now. The stock shocks are okay but have leaked several times and I have not been impressed at all with them. So instead of rebuilding them again and replacing a bottom retaining ring I just lost on my last outting, I want to upgrade.

I've heard the Pro-line Powerstroke scaler shocks are good. I've also recently seen Gmade has a line of shocks out that fit the Wraith as well. A piggyback model and two others. I mainly do trail driving with some crawling along the way. So looking for the best shocks for that. Thanks!!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for Wraith shock upgrade recommendations

sent you a pm....
Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 PM
jrowles91

PM!? lol I was looking for an answer too! Hopefully someone chimes in. I'm looking for slightly more articulation too.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM
nitro stan

king offroad shocks seem to be getting popular these days, i dont have a wraith, so i dont know how long they need to be
http://184.172.61.235/King-Off-Road-...mm_p_2500.html
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 PM
gforce2448

I actually installed Integy MSR10 shocks on my Wraith not long after my original post. They are way longer than the stock shocks but I wanted alot of articulation as I mainly use my Wraith for crawling and trail runs. I believe they are like 124mm. I'm using the medium length ends which gives the suspension maximum travel without any binding of driveshafts. The shocks have about an inch of travel both up and down where the shocks sit with just the weight of the truck on them.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM
jrowles91

How much taller does the truck sit?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 AM
Jeepy2013

The Pro-Line shocks are really good, some of the best out there. I haven't used them on my Wraith, but I have used them on my Traxxas 2wd Slash that I race.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:14 AM
gforce2448

Here are some pics taken yesterday of my Wraith aka "Bushwhacker" along the Clackamas River past Estacada, OR. It sits pretty high, these shocks came with 3 sets of springs. The stiffest ones makes it sit up really high. It easily tips over taking a corner fast but like I said I mainly crawl and do trail runs. I've got weights in the wheels and the COG is pretty low. I originally had the Integy shocks mounted normally, but I read somewhere that if you invert them they don't leak as bad. They leaked a little at first but haven't had much of a problem lately. Used some green slime and inverted them. I looked at the Pro-line shocks and liked them alot. But got the Integy's as they were $60 for 4, which that would only get 2 of the PLs.

My son's Wraith has stock shocks and I lowered it, it sits a few inches shorter than mine but still slithers over rocks and stuff. But it works great for his driving style. When we get into some serious rock crawling my Wraith is usually the only one getting through because of the ground clearance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96005.jpg
Views:	2687
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1875165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87258.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1875166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82829.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	1875167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84371.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1875168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53895.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	1875169  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Muskokarc

They look great.  Love the paint jobs.  

How you find putting together the kit?  When I get enough chash together I hope to get a kit to.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hummm tough one....

it all depends what u want from ur shocks.

there is a rule with shock. seaking shocks is not allways a bad thing

the tighter the seal the less chance of leaking, and increases resistance in shaft movement.
the looser the seal the higher the chance it will leak, but it will have less resistance in the shaft.

and another thing to consider is the seal will expand over time from the silicon. u can delay this using some o ring grease, highly reccomended by me.

been a crawler i would go for a looser seal as i will get slightly more articulation. just means u might have to top up the shocks more than normal.

The new losi 22 shocks offer 2 different o ring just for this reason.
they have a black toght
and a grey loose

for a basher its reccomended to use 2 black ones, so it does not leak

for a clubman basher its reccomended to use a grey one and a black one, for improved smootheness and slight leakage

for a track car its reccomended to use 2 grey one, for ultra silky smoothe suspension articulation, but will need toping up regularly
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
gforce2448

Thanks! Mine actually has a skin from Freqeskinz and not painted. They have many different ones. My sons is just digital camo duct tape. lol. I had to wrap the broken panels in it to create new screw holes. The hood was fabbed out of plastic as it was missing. That is how bad his truck was in, but I got it used RTR for $200.

I enjoyed putting the kit together. Took my time over about 3 days last spring. It was nice knowing that all the screws are tight and enough grease on gears, that sort of thing when you build it. Unlike a ready to run. I want to build a SCX10 kit next. But I also need to save money for it.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey has anyone noticed the only SCX10 kit is now the Dingo.... and its only $100 cheaper than the RTR!!!!! kind of a rip... considering that the Honcho/jeep RTR is only $100 more and comes with a Axial 2.4ghz radio gear, Axial AE-2 ESC, Axial 27t motor, Axial servo and Axial LED kit...

Looking online the AE-2 is $70 alone... so that mean u are getting the radio gear, servo and motor for around $30
Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might I ask why you would want to let your shocks leak instead of using a thinner oil?????? OR using a 3 hole piston? or softer springs??
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
gforce2448

But with all of Axials kits you get upgrade options. The Dingo and Wraith kits comes with aluminum links and R35 soft compound Ripsaw tires. The Rubicon kit comes with the new aluminum Icon shocks and aluminum links. The RTR models all comes with plastic links, shocks and basic tires.

If you plan on upgrading electronics I prefer the kits. If not, the RTR is great to get you on the trail.