Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

No one does these anymore and scalers are too "pedestrian."

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

No one does these anymore and scalers are too "pedestrian."

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 01:10 PM
gokemidoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No one does these anymore and scalers are too "pedestrian."

Hello all! Been a awhile.

I built these two, and no one does dedicated crawling anymore. My next project is a single articulator, a la Mantis or Berg using a Gmade R1 Buggy.

These two will be tested this summer. I stay with these, because trail and scaling is just borrriiiiinnng......

Before I forget myself, The two crawlers are Losi, An MRCP and Comp crawler that started out as a Nightcrawler, but with the addition of the CC's transmission, effectively turns it into a CC (front and rear DIG). Both are wearing slightly modified Billet Works Designs Upper cages. The MRCP started out to be 4WS, but the steering parts cannot be located, so it's standard 2WS until the Vaterra Slickrock steering parts become available, then 4WS can be done.

The MRCP will be stretched and widened at a later date (stay tuned!).

The CC, though using brushed electronics, does quite well. The Traxxas XL-5 and Orion 15T motor power the CC over anything I put it in front of without complaint, and the "new" Castle Mamba Micro Pro with four-pole 4100Kv motor is several steps above their older 4800Kv 2-poles. MUCH less cogging and hesitation. With a little judicious transmitter adjustment, the MRCP crawls with the best of them, now!

Just as soon as I can get my paws on a Gmade R1, the single-articulation project will begin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1751.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1994515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1994516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1770.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1994517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1994518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1994519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1994520  

Last edited by gokemidoro; 05-11-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:54 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cool rigs for sure
I still prefer a "scalish" look but with a more crawler type performance. I just made a 1/6 hummer body fit nicely on a 1/8 MOA rock crawler. I still have a lot of articulation and it can climb over a lot of stuff that most 1/10 scalers cannot.

I have a kyosho twin force that I am a bit tempted to make into a rock crawler.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM
gokemidoro

I say, try it! Let us know how it turns out!

Yah....even I got into getting an SCX10 - the G6 Jeep Wrangler. A friend of mine is getting one, as well, so we are both doing both scale/trail and dedicated crawlers now! I will use the G6 as a "break machine" for when the batteries for my crawlers are charging. My friend is going to outfit his with scale detail. He's MUCH more adept with scale detail than I am. I've seen his stuff, and it looks professionally done! He hasn't posted anything lately, but maybe I can get him to get back on, when he has something to show off. He's really good with RC!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried it... I like scalers more....
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM
TIME MACHINE

Scalers all the way, but I can appreciate a nice crawler.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:42 AM
MR4X4KING

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
cool rigs for sure
I still prefer a "scalish" look but with a more crawler type performance. I just made a 1/6 hummer body fit nicely on a 1/8 MOA rock crawler. I still have a lot of articulation and it can climb over a lot of stuff that most 1/10 scalers cannot.

I have a kyosho twin force that I am a bit tempted to make into a rock crawler.
do you have any pictures of the hummer on the crawler
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by MR4X4KING
do you have any pictures of the hummer on the crawler
I have some pics on my hard drive somewhere...but how about some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGPttUCp968&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FG9F87_NdY&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ&index=6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICdxYkqI6n0&index=8&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ I am pretty happy with it's balance of scaler/crawler ratio. The only real trick was the very scale body and a droop suspension setup. still could use some work but is lots of fun to drive as is.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 PM
gokemidoro

Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies!

I am currently building up my G6 SCX10 with something specific in mind. It will take a little while, but I will post results here, when it is finished. Suffice to say, it will have dual video function, 4WS, One function will be mixed in with rear steer, and will be on, and off-road capable! It will also, if I can do it right, have three different bodies that can be used, and STILL be used as a trail rig.

This is all part of a "build-off" two friends and I are into at the moment, and all results are on a December "unveiling" schedule. The build-off is also triple blind, so I have no idea what my friends are up to. I hope they don't read this!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup i miss my scorpion. seems everything now is scale and i don't like that.
i like the r1 and may get one. i need to either sell or trade my 5sc first though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1821.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	2036271  
Old 10-04-2014, 07:37 PM
razordave

lot's of goodness in this thread!

I love that hummer.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by razordave
lot's of goodness in this thread!

I love that hummer.
thanx, its proving to be a good truck. holds up really well. the truck its based on, exceed mad torque, is very good for its costs.
Finally got around to making a video of the hummer next to a 1/10 truck to show its size, here it is along with my son's wheely king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4N2Dpj91MA&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ
I hope in the next few weeks to get work done on a 2.2 wheel sized 6x6 mini tank. basically, a 6x6 with MOA axles that are close together. It wont be a super good crawler, but should go threw snow very well (Stay on top of it)