Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Stims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snorkel

I got an X-factor that I plan on using for scale crawling. I want to make a snorkel for it out of copper pipe. It would measure about as round as the opening for the carberator and kind of flare out at the opening, and be about 6-8 inches overall lenght. I would put a piece of foam filter in the pipe to keep it clean. Would this restrict the air flow too much?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:37 AM
kingcobraRCU

Default RE: snorkel

it'll work but what about the electronics? as long as you don't go smaller than the carb opening or make it too long you should be ok.(no noticable powerloss)
Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Mike01

You can put all the electronics into a box (if the X-factor doesn't have one already) and then seal it with silicone. Better make sure you've got the right crystal in the receiver.

btw...you may also want to make a "snorkel" for your pipe. If the water pressure exceeds the exhaust pressure, water will force its way in and your engine will stall.

Speaking of which...that is another reason for the exhaust snorkel...if your engine stalls for whatever reason, it will be instantly flooded through the exhaust. Most real four wheelers don't have exhaust snorkels because real engines make a ton of exhaust pressure and a real engine is not likely to stall. I trust nitro engines only as far as I can throw them, so I wouldn't take a chance on it.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:08 AM
kingcobraRCU

well we're talking 2 strokes here...and they idle at how many rpms?I don't think the water will make it in. but it IS possible.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Mike01

Come on...we both know nitro engines. They like to die at the worst times. I could think of a bunch of stuff that would kill it....how about the rapid cooling as it hits water causing metal contraction and instantly stalling the engine...and then the ware rushes in.

You're right though...with the engine running, water is not likely to make it in. It's the running part that would worry me.

Can you tell I don't like nitro engines?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:03 PM
shortbusjeep

well id go with an exaust snorkel cause the exaust is kinda pulse ie. also i had a stadium truck with a big old air filter and i was running it on the lean side cause ti would scream, i though it woyld be cool to skip through this puddle like an in deep and it did not suck up water bet water hit the block and shot the piston in to the head and cracked the block and all kinds of stuff so id plan for that

i think over all the risk is greater than the gain but then again i take my full size jeep through creeks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43985.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	224476  
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
garynjr

Don't forget about your servos too. It will be tough to seal them completely. Sounds like a fun project though! Can't wait to see your MT - Sub... LOL...
Old 02-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Stims

Thanks for the input. I waterproofed my real jeep with silicone around all the electronics, I assume it'll work for my r/c too. Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust pipes...I wasnt sure if they put out enough pressure to keep the water back. I'll post pics as soon as my body gets painted