Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Total rock crawler noob/dumb questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Total rock crawler noob/dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 AM
blowpopracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total rock crawler noob/dumb questions

Ok found a nylint 1/18 at wally world on clearance for $21. I bought one just for kicks and darn it is fun trying to climb rocks and logs n such. Ive had so much fun ive considered starting a crawler build. I do have rc experience but no crawler experience. I used to be a mechanic so I can braize,weld,and fab to a degree but keep in mind i dont have a machine shop. So with that where should I start?

-what is the pros and cons of txt and superclods compared to each other?

-opinions on hpi's wheelie king?

-opinions on tamiya high lift. I kinda like the looks of that one alot but not sure of potential?

-or just building a complete scratch built chassis?

ive looked at rccrawler and they have alot of great info but for right now just looking for a recommended starting point then will post my more technical questions as they come up.

Im dont think they have any competitions around here so this is just for personal enjoyment(build included), so i dont necessarily need the best but I already have the wally world special and want something alot more capable than that.

Thanks and sorry for what seems to be stupid questions.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:12 AM
SlideWaysTeamGC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Total rock crawler noob/dumb questions

ide start small and work into a clod or txt

start out with a tlt you can use the stok chassis cut it up and bolt in a pede tranny and make your own links and get some mobas or geos or someother good crawling tire

also visit this site for more info

www.rccrawler.com
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

First you must ask yourself, do you like the look of the 2.2 crawlers, or the super crawlers better?
I like the smaller crawlers better, cheaper, more realistic looking etc.
There are so many different ways to come up with a chassis, the coolest ones to me are tuber'e, but that is way over my head, but you should consider it, mentioning that you can braze. Other people search RCCRAWLER's vendor section and buy a chassis from one of the guys on there, or some even like to cut up the stock chassis that comes with the kit, like the tlt, they cut the plates for better clearance etc, and to keep the cost down.
Obviously you need 4wd, the HPI wheeley king is only 2wd,looks fun to drive, but not a good start IMO.
To get the best results you really need to build it yourself if you want true potential out of the rc.
The main thing is to get the AXLES. Solid straight axles.
Now there are a few different trucks to choose from to get the axles. Many prefer the clod axles because the motors hook directly up to the axles, keeping the COG ( center of gravity) down, and they dont suffer ftom torque twist.
Again this is you prefrence, i took the tlt axles, cheap and very effective for the 2.2 .
The high lift is undoubtedly a cool rc, but for the money you could make your self a true comp crawler. IMO.
I am the same way as you, i wanted a crawler but really did not need a full comp crawler. I ended up with the one below. A total of about 400 dollars. Not bad, it is really capable, and is fun to drive.
Dont worry these are not stupid questions, i felt the exact same way as you.
Good Luck, and hopefully i answered all you questions, if not just reply, or shoot me a P.M
Oh yeah, i have made changes to my Crawler, shorter wheelbase, bigger tires, it looks better now, i just stuck the stock tires on there to hurry up and drive that be-z
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20805.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	560512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33289.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	560513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91081.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	560514  
Old 11-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

-what is the pros and cons of txt and superclods compared to each other?
The TXT's biggest downfall is the torque twist. It is a great truck, and for bashing, it should satisfy your needs. For an all out comp level rig in the Super class, a Clod is where it's at. You can even use Clod axles to build a 2.2, but I'd venture to say 90+% of 2.2's are TLT's.

-opinions on hpi's wheelie king?
It's a 2WD stunt vehicle. Not suitable for crawling in its current state. Now, noone has one yet, so not much else can be said about it. If the the front end is upgradable (fill it with gears and the tranny has a front output) then I bet we'll soon see it out on the rocks, after suitable mods so it doesn't roll over backwards.

-opinions on tamiya high lift. I kinda like the looks of that one alot but not sure of potential?
I've built 3 so far, 1 for me, and the other two parted out. It's an awesome (IMO) scaler, and has decent trail potential, but a 4-linked 2.2 would kill it on the rocks. Put a 4-link on it, bigger wheels/tires and put it on a diet, and you might have something.

-or just building a complete scratch built chassis?
Since you have the necessary skills, this might be the route you want to take. However, with the amount of aftermarket parts that are already out there, you might not even have to touch a welder to make an awesome rig. Use a set of TLT or Clod axles, and pick a frame.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 PM
dezfan

Get a TLT. Can't beat it for it's crawling potential and expense PERIOD!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Anomie

dez,

That's awesome. Very simple design!

BTW, the link leads to a login page. Should it?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
dezfan

Old 11-16-2006, 01:29 PM
blowpopracer

Excellent input, I really appreciate it. Ill check out rccrawler.com. Other than ebay anyone have a good suggestions for finding tlt or clod axles?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Anomie

For Clod axles and parts, you can try [link=http://www.clodparts.com/]clodparts.com[/link] and they have a link to the Clod Junkyard too.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Ultimatehobbies.com is where i bought my tlt. Yeah i bought the whole kit, but for 75 dollars, you get a lot of necessary parts that will help you build the crawler.
[link=http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=88a448cafdf051934148e51cbb71b41f]axles[/link]