Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

SAVE THE TLT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
dezfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAVE THE TLT!

As many of you may or may not know, Tamiya has dis-continued the TLT line.

The TLTs axle are the basis for 90+% of the 2.2 class which also happens to be the most popular in crawling.

Here is a post from RC Crawler on the subject.

PLEASE CALL!

A NOTE TO DEALERS:

Based on the current status of the TLT's (discontinued), I urge you all to call Aliso and tell them to let Tamiya know that you and your customer base want the TLT back. Aliso is currently recording all the demands for the TLT kit, and will use them as ammunition to get Tamiya to re-release them. Please call them:

1-800-TAMIYA-A

If I had to guess, based on Tamiya history and the huge popularity of the TLT, I'd say they are planning a stretched TLT to replace the Rockbuster. (Or something 'better' that still uses the axles.) It wouldn't make any sense to discontinue it, especially with the crossover parts still used in many kits. I'm afraid the hobby will see a shortage of them of them for a while however...

-Ryan
Old 02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: SAVE THE TLT!

Thing has been pretty popular... However, just because TLTs may have been popular in the US, especially with the expanded popularity of rock crawling in the US, that doesn't mean it is popular enough worldwide to sustain it's productions. If the US is say 10% of Tamiya's market, and only 5% of the 10% of Tamiya's market of those buy the TLTs, the market is pretty diluted.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Anomie

We'd better snap up the remaining stock, before they're gone
Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 PM
dezfan

Hopefully, if the TLT isn't brought back, then Tamiya has other plans for the TLT and it will be reborn in another form
Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM
fire_boy92

So how many people out there use these axles... What if someone designed and produced axles only. Would that be profitable?? It would take a lot of design time and machine work but Im sure someone out there could do it cheaper than the G-made. Also G-made doesn't sell them as a unit. I think a lot of people would like to see a set of axles, sold complete, and for a reasonable price. I have been thinking of designing an axle in my mechanical drafting class and Im just thinking about the idea of having something produced... Just an idea though.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:33 PM
rcxboy

Jeez, calm down. The TLT-2 is rumoured to be in production.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Starkweather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's true, I heard they will be showing it in May somewhere. My wife just got me the Max Climber for Christmas. I LOVE the thing. I differ from most though in the fact that I love the TLT for what it IS, and don't mind what it is NOT. Seems like everyone complains about ground clearance (Wild Willy 2 wheels/tires fix that) but it was never intended to be a rock crawler. It's meant to be a smaller scale, SCALE monster truck. I love running in the backyard, through the flower garden, etc. It handles tough terrain very well in my opinion. That, and if you look at other smaller scale monster trucks out there, there really is no comparison. the only other one out there that is even close is the PTI Goliath, and I believe that runs a smaller motor, and has durability issues (from what I've read so far). The rest are just like the 1/10 racing "monster" trucks. Not taking anything away from them, but I guess I'm more into realism than speed.

I've got the universal shafts in it now, and I'm working on a sealed, limited slip center diff using the TA04 center diff and 100K weight diff oil.

So save the TLT? Sounds like Tamiya already has plans to continue it in some form, and we only have a few short months before we see it. Without even seeing it, I already will be first in line!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:36 AM
dezfan

Stock they are cool! But the axles used in a crawler is were they shine.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:48 PM
proteus1377

There are already some companies that reproduce the axle in alum. Granted they are fairly costly, now if someone could make them in delrin or plastic that would be awesome.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

I agree wtih dez, I think it is cool to have a tlt-2, but if it is going to be stretched and imporved, it will cost more to buy, especially since everyone will just be using the axles anyways, unless the tlt-2 comes with a good tranny. I think it wont be good for the crawlers.
i would like to see someone design these axles in derlin that use the same parts but are made better. Like instead of being bulky, make them a little slimmer and stronger. And with a aluminum spool for the diff, and a non potmetal bevel gear would be the icing on the cake. It would be expensive, but a way better axle. Just my .02
Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
dezfan

RC4WD already has the axle available in Delrin. Cost $129.00 per axle. Add the RCP's CVDs at say $35.00 and you will need 2 sets.

Now add RCP's hardened ring and pinion for another $45.00 and of course you'll need 2 sets and you'll have a set of axles that only cost $420.00!

SAVE THE TLT!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
dude7422

hello you could always mold your own from fiber glass
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM
rideicon

Mold axles in fiberglass? thats a horrible idea, plastic or delrin is way better, and cheaper, and stronger. mold axles out of fiberglass... maybe use fiberglass to make a outer mold...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Anomie

I should have thought of Delrin or Teflon axles!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
impman17

so i was doin my usual gazing into the world(the internet) and i cam across this post and i was stunded.. ive wanted to build a 2.2 crawler for about a year but i just never got the truck and then i saw this ,so i went to ebay and im now a proud new owner of a tlt-1, i think it will make a better scale crawler over my 32 pound x-factor (gas engine..not nitro ..gas) so thank you .....oh with the crave of crawlers right now there will be a better set of axles too come out but you will have to wait
Old 02-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Silentbob343

Perhaps we should wait and see what is in store with the TLT-2 before demanding they bring back the TLT-1.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: impman17

so i was doin my usual gazing into the world(the internet) and i cam across this post and i was stunded.. ive wanted to build a 2.2 crawler for about a year but i just never got the truck and then i saw this ,so i went to ebay and im now a proud new owner of a tlt-1, i think it will make a better scale crawler over my 32 pound x-factor (gas engine..not nitro ..gas) so thank you .....oh with the crave of crawlers right now there will be a better set of axles too come out but you will have to wait
Hey, welcome to the forums. If you post some pics of that x-factor youll pretty much be instantly cool and veryone wil be your friend.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Starkweather

Hmmmm. I was just on Tamiya USA's site, and the Rockbuster no longer had "discontinued" under it's name. Back in production already?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:50 PM
dezfan

Maybe they heard the rumbling.[>:]
Old 02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: Starkweather

Hmmmm. I was just on Tamiya USA's site, and the Rockbuster no longer had "discontinued" under it's name. Back in production already?
I hope so, but to buy it says to check your lhs.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Starkweather

It says that for lots of stuff. It said that for the Dark Impact for awhile and that thing is new. Wonder what's going on?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Rat1

Well they are nto going to discontinue the TLT anymore but it sounds like they are putting a price cap on the kit. Meaning the TLT kits for 70 dollars will be no longer. This is a shame I think. I really like the TLT kit for the most part except I do not use the transmission,dog bones,wheels and tires or the cantilever system. I plan on using the body in a smaller scalish type build but that is it.

I would not mind paying 100 dollars for the TLT is it came with a better trans, a larger body in a 12 to 12.5 wheel base and some wheels that can readily except 2.2 sized tires.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Rat1, i agree, but i did sell some of that stuff on ebay, i sold the tires for 20, the body for 5 and the shocks for 13. so i made almost 40 bucks back. i only spent 80 for the whole kit. Just a thought. But i think they should stay the same price.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:16 PM
sneff

we got a call from our Great Planes rep on Fri and she said they were definatly discontinueda nd that a lot of stores were ordering 10 trucks. We decided to order 6 so we have them.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:24 PM
R/C fan-addict

tamiya is planning to release a TLT-2 when their trade show comes around in May. It's even somewhere on their site. It is rumored that the TLT-2 will have highlift axles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.