Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

I'm going to buy a kit....Tamiya Ford F-350 Would this be a good rock crawler?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

I'm going to buy a kit....Tamiya Ford F-350 Would this be a good rock crawler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:32 AM
cadcanon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to buy a kit....Tamiya Ford F-350 Would this be a good rock crawler?

I am curious, I haven't bought anything yet,
I really like the realism of this kit, maybe some bigger tires?
I am considering the pti Goliath but I have heard about parts availibity and reliability issues.
Now that the TLT is no longer in production I am kind of leary of that kit.
Then there is the wheely king-cool but 2wd and all plasitic but the frame....................

any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John
Old 02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Anomie

Default RE: I'm going to buy a kit....Tamiya Ford F-350 Would this be a good rock crawler?

The F-350 is a scale kit, and would probably not perform well as a crawler in stock form. If you want a decent crawler, the axles from the TLT are the best part, and there are many chassis and suspension possibilities to build to them. Most stock RC vehicles need a decent amount of modification in order to crawl. If you look around at some of the builds people are using, you can get plenty of ideas for where to start.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I'm going to buy a kit....Tamiya Ford F-350 Would this be a good rock crawler?

ORIGINAL: cadcanon

I am curious, I haven't bought anything yet,
I really like the realism of this kit, maybe some bigger tires?
I am considering the pti Goliath but I have heard about parts availibity and reliability issues.
Now that the TLT is no longer in production I am kind of leary of that kit.
Then there is the wheely king-cool but 2wd and all plasitic but the frame....................

any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John
Like's been stated already, the F350 is not a crawler. It is a good trail truck though. It could probably be made into a good crawler, but you'd have to have more money than sense.
Just because the TLT is no longer produced, doesn't mean it's not a good kit. I heard that Ultimate Hobbies still had a couple hundred of them yesterday. They're going quick though. Aftermarket parts support for the axles is phenomenal.
The Wheely King will be coming out in a 4WD version, and the frame itself is plastic too. However, for a good crawler, all you'll really be using is the axles and tranny. If you don't want the TLT, the WK is probably you're next best bet.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 AM
RC-Archer

Just so you guys know, the axles on the Ford 350 are virtually identical to the TLT axles with one major exception. The Ford 350's diffs are lockable. There is a removeable pin that allows you lock your diffs or unlock them for street driving. IF there is a TLT-2 coming out, I'll bet it will come with the Ford 350's axles.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 PM
rc-racer75
My Feedback: (2)

I also think it depends on what type of rock crawler you want. If it is competition crawling your into then no this is a good kit for a more realistic/scale crawling. Like rc-archer said the lockable diffs are awsome. I have punished my f-350 from crawling to jumping and speed. For a scale truck it is a very universal vehicle. So it all depends on your intentions for it.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:33 PM
cadcanon

Well I bought a a Wheely King
I know its new and mostly Plastic but HPI alerady has a ton of option patrs and upgrade parts already availible,

The Price is right too, about $ 250 and you have a 4WD Wheely King
Now Im lookin to buy tires and softer shocks,and lower gears.

THIS HOBBY IS A DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ijust thoght I had it bad with Hot Wheels collecting.[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 AM
countryboy4life

I'm thinking on buying a high lift too. I was wondering what does it come with. Plus, can you use a pistol grip radio with it, and do you have to have rear steering too. LMK SOMEBODY. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 PM
K_B

Here's the specs from Tower:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMVP1&P=ML

Disregard the 4-channel radio. You can use a 2-channel radio (just no rear-steer obviously).
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
hands without shadows

If you use a 2ch you can only use throttle and steering, no rear stear or shift. I would use a 3ch so you can shift and at least mix the front and rear steering if you wanted to.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 AM
ah64

What about the Av10 I think it is called by Axial $250 Add Motors Radio and ESC. Seems like a Good place to start at.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:39 AM
25-5

ORIGINAL: ah64

What about the Av10 I think it is called by Axial $250 Add Motors Radio and ESC. Seems like a Good place to start at.
just ordered one. Now pick out everything I want to get wth it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Lumpmister

Check out Homles Hobbies for some great electronics for the Scorpion. He specializes in crawler motors and they are great