Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Help a Noob on a crawler build (please)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Help a Noob on a crawler build (please)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
rcdudegermy10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Noob on a crawler build (please)

Hey I'm pretty new to the crawling scene, not rc in general, just crawling.....And I wanted to make my first crawler, I have a lot of extra parts, don't know if they will be good or not, but I do have a lot.....So could you crawler veterans, or noobs, or both, could you please help me build my crawler???

Here's a list of what I have: T-Maxx upper and lower arms, chassis braces (2 pair, so 4 in total, 2 plastic, and two aluminum), a spare chassis (T-Maxx), bulkheads (T-maxx, plastic), lots of hinge pins (various sizes) and an electric evader st (complete kit) ...also a duratrax streak esc (up to 10 cells, and like a 12 motor limit), 2 Epic 3000mah 6 cell packs, and one 1500 pack, a 20 and a 17 turn motor, lots of wheels and tires (use an axle pin, from a like a 2 wheel stadium truck or buggy), fuel tubing, tons of screws, dogbones (for driveshafts)...

Also are the suspension links (for a crawler) made out of turnbuckles? If so could I use my T-Maxx ones?

I also have 8 shocks, off my T-maxx and evader...I was thinking of trying to use inboard shocks (horizontally mounted, or at like an angle...if it's possible, not a big deal at all though) like the Revo, or full scale indy cars...

I would also buy the 4 wheel steering kit, and probably just use a couple of 80 oz/in t-maxx servos (is that enough torque)... I would want to have 4 wheel steering if possible...

Is there a lot more that I will need...axles...Which ones would have the best value (cost to performance)...TLT or ??.....?

By the way, I want to have a crawler that could be somewhat competitive in a competition, but I really want a car that can articulate like crazy...I would just use it around my grandma's house...riverbeds, small rocks, dirt mounds, rock mounds...it would be just for fun and I'd probably put in 20 turn motors, two if I can...

Ideally I'd like to use one motor on 6 cells, or if I can I might rig up a 10 pack...Is that a good set-up or would something else be better??

Please Help,
Thanks,
rcdudegermy08

Feel free to leave any links on parts I might need...Also what do you guys think I'm looking at price wise? Thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 07:53 PM
rcdudegermy10

Default RE: Help a Noob on a crawler build (please)

Here's what I'm looking at so far: Reign Products J2-TT Chassis, using 4 T-Maxx shocks, and (do I need 4 or 8 links for the suspension...)...
Old 04-19-2007, 08:45 PM
dezfan

Default RE: Help a Noob on a crawler build (please)

You'll need 8 links, four front and four rear.

For a ton of RC Crawler related info, Google rc Crawler and be prepared to do some reading.

Good luck!