Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

R2 tranny and crawler chassis that's best for a scale build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

R2 tranny and crawler chassis that's best for a scale build

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM
R/C fan-addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R2 tranny and crawler chassis that's best for a scale build

hey I currently have 2 TLT's. One is built up with the stock tranny and chassis and has the junfac extended link kit with the axle braces. It has 4WS and is using the stretch kit dogbones that keep falling out. I also have the junfac skid plate on it. The other TLT I recently bought and I want to use the parts from both kits if I need to, to make a scale crawler. I have the HPI jeep rubicon body for it, and I want to paint it autumn red with black fenders, hood, and roof. I am not sure which chassis or tranny to go for though. My limit is about $200 for both, but I don't really want to go that much if I can avoid it. I was thinking the R2 tranny as it seems like it's a very top notch tranny, but I'm not sure. If I could use this chassis for TLT axles it would be sweet!: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/product.p...cat=103&page=1

or a chassis like this one: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/product.p...cat=103&page=1

I don't really want the best performance crawler chassis, just one that can climb a few rocks, but look scale at the same time. I think I might build up my other TLT as a full blown rock crawler.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM
R/C fan-addict

Default RE: R2 tranny and crawler chassis that's best for a scale build

also I remember seeing someone's body that had a metal box built into the bed area so that there wasn't just a flat piece of lexan where the bed should be, but instead a deep bed that looked really scale. If anyone has the link to that, could you please post it. And is there a place to get the wild willy fuel cans without having to buy a whole WW body kit?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
R/C fan-addict

bump
Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 PM
R/C fan-addict

bump
Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 PM
R/C fan-addict

cmon!!! Can someone answer my question? I really want to get the chassis soon.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:16 PM
R/C fan-addict

okay I think I've decided to go for the reign K2-3L chassis and the R2 tranny. Does anyone have any info on the other scale parts though? Also has anyone seen a roof rack that's similar by design, but smaller than: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/product.p...cat=255&page=1

Cause that roof rack is a little too big for the Rubicon roof, especially if I mount lights on the front, it would have a good 1/2"+ overhang which would look ugly.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 AM
K_B

I'd go with an MFM chassis for two reasons:
1)It's different; everybody and their mother runs the K2.
2)It is super adjustable, super capable and doesn't require the use of touring car shocks.

If you're on a budget, you can get a used Stealth tranny for half of what an R2 costs, plus you can get them with a slipper which helps the survivability of the drivetrain. And they're just about bombproof. I run one completely locked with no slipper with brushless and it's held up fine. They're also quieter. The R2's all-metal drivetrain whines like crazy...
Old 11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
R/C fan-addict

okay I just placed an order for RC4WD straight axles, some aluminum knuckles, a black R2 tranny, and the delrin prototype of the AX10 scale chassis from TCS. I'm placing a tower order soon for tamiya f350 tires, HPI stock car wheels, bearings, a lathe motor and some other little goodies! : )