Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

noob to crawling

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
trainlover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob to crawling

Hello im new to crawling but nott to rc. i have two rcs. A nitro monster truck and a stadium truck. I am wanting to get into the crawler seen and want to know what are good begginer trucks my hobby shop has the wheelie king for 200 and i dont ming doing a couple of mods to the truck thanks zachary flowe.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Pico Train

Default RE: noob to crawling

id go with the ax10 if you can afford it.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 AM
trainlover

how much is the ax 10 and where can i buy it
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Pico Train

the cheapest place ive found was ckrccrawlers.com, 210 bucks for the kit.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, the ax 10 is a good crawler. but it can be out of the price range for many just getting into crawling. i got a used wheely king(paid $135) that had been stretched 2.5 inches and lowered the servo mount. i have made a rear servo mount, and will mod a traxxas 3ch contorler soon so i will have 4 wheel steering. it is very easy to ad on a wheely king, as the front and rear axles are the same. only a simple rod holds the rear tires straight. remove that, and the can turn. ad a servo and now its 4ws.
the wheely kings limitations to crawling are a high center of gravity(you can make costom batteries that sit over the axles, which will help alot) and a lack of ground clearance in the middle of the chassis. it was designed to look like a monster truck, to climb over rocks. i think it make a good trail truck with the basic mods(stretch the length, lower servo mounts, lock diffs, mod tires) which means it can go over alot, and climb well for those just getting into crawling.
it would be possible to, later down the road, make your own chassis. providing a lower CG and higher ground clearance. many people who build their own crawlers from scratch use WK axles, and other misc parts.
i have a short vid on youtube that came out pretty cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRcQKysISMk
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

I would personally suggest saving your money and buying the AX10 to begin with. With the right mods the WK can be just as good of a crawler but the WK needs a good amount of work to compete with the Axial and you'll wind up spending roughly the same in the long run. I guess it really depends on what you prefer. With the Axial you'll get a well built truck that will crawl great right out of the box. The anodized aluminum parts on the Axial are beautiful to say the least. On the other hand the WK will take some work to get crawling but if you're the type that likes to build your own parts then that may be the route for you.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
drevil

Oh I forgot to add, If you don't mind waiting a little while Axial is coming out with a RTR version of the AX10 for around $240-$300. (depending on where you buy it) It doesn't have all the nice aluminum pieces that the kit AX10 has but it should still crawl just as good. Sure it's $60-$100 more than the WK but you have to realize that it comes with lockers, beadlocks, and rock crawling tires....all of which you'll wind up buying for the WK anyway.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Pico Train

yeah id look into the rtr if i were you. youll probably end up getting a better speed control and a lower turn motor, but its a better start than the wk in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 PM
trainlover

thanks guys one more thing how hard is the kit to put together and how good are the instructions. i have never built a rc kit and i would like to thats why i was thinking of the wk. tthanks guys yove been a lot of help
Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 AM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

The ax10 is super simple to build.. the instructions are great [sm=thumbup.gif]

The most common mistake for noobs with the ax10 is building the shocks...

When you build them make sure you dont over fill the shocks or the caps can pop off

Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
fisherkip

The only really hard part of the AX10 build was putting the universals in the drive shafts. Beyond that it was really straight forward.

On the other side the Wheelky king is now available without electronics for about $135 which gets you the truck without paying for electronics you won't use.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 PM
drevil

ORIGINAL: trainlover

thanks guys one more thing how hard is the kit to put together and how good are the instructions. i have never built a rc kit and i would like to thats why i was thinking of the wk. tthanks guys yove been a lot of help
The instructions are excellent. You can download a pdf version of the manual off Axial's website to check it out if you'd like.
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/pdfs/...1-I002_web.pdf

There is more information about the AX10 here:
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10/

And more information about the AX10 RTR here:
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10rtr/
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
trainlover

thanks for all your help guys im ganna get the ax10 as soon as i sell my nitro monster truck