Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Just a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
fordguy2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a question

i just have a question about which rock crawler is the best to buy. i was thinking on getting the rtr axial AX10 rock crawler or the PTI Goliath Rock Crawler RTR or the PTI Goliath Pro 12 Rock Crawler RTR. which would be the best one to get?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:01 PM
K_B

Default RE: Just a question

If you're gonna strictly be crawling, the Axial RTR is a bit lacking. It has an open front diff and plastic linkages that are SUPER flexy. The electronics are marginal at best. The RTR Goliath is a bit better due to the fact that it comes with locked front/rear diffs, METAL linkages all around and decent Hitec electronics including an HS-645-MG steering servo. Admittedly, not the best, but a good starter servo and much better than the crud servo in the Axial. However, it too is a bit lacking in some areas. It will need the optional gearbox to be a truly dedicated crawler. The Goliath does use plastic gears in the axles, but they have updated the parts to better tolerances so the durability of the gears is MUCH better than in the past.

As far as RTRs go, there is no kit out there that is perfect due to the fact that certain corners are cut in order to keep the whole thing affordable.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
fordguy2001

i'll probably just go with the Axial AX10.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I strongly disagree. Although the pti seems better equiped the axles are not what I would call crawling ready, whereas the Axials are much closer. And the axial has the locker for the front in the box. Sure the axial has plastic links but the transmission and slipper make up for it. The PTI transmission is sorry at best.. The electronics in the Axial work to get you started, but unless you plan on competing they will get you started until your ready to spend the dough for better elects. I just witnessed a stock RTR axial do a 6 minute rock course in under 3mins. and that was box stock!! sure luck played into it but the stock rtr was impressive nonetheless.

I say get the Axial RTR if that is your choices..
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 PM
chaman

I would get the Axial kit, not the RTR. Building it yourself lets you understand the mechanics better and will be more fun!