Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

LIPO battery charger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM
u)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIPO battery charger?

Hey guys ive been considering buying a lipo setup for my ax10 i have a novak goat system. I have done a little research on lipos....it seems like the biggest thing is to NOT FORGET IT ON THE CHARGER! LOL! So do they make a charger that automaticly stops at peak charge ? also with my system that i have should i go 2 or 3 cell?

thanks for any info ahead of time.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 AM
K_B

Default RE: LIPO battery charger?

Actually, the thing to remember is to UNPLUG your battery when you're done running the truck. If you don't (even with the switch off), it can drain down past it's minimum voltage and then the pack is ruined.

All lipo chargers are "peak" chargers and will shut off when the battery is charged. The trick with that is to make sure you set the charger for the proper number of cells and capacity. If you don't do that, then you could possibly blow up the pack or at least ruin it.

The Goat system has a maximum input voltage of 8.4V, so you can only use 2-cell packs (3-cell are 11.1V).

A good charger is the Hyperion 0606i AC/DC(http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1) because it has a buit-in balancer

I personally use the Hyperion EOS 5idp AC/DC. It's cheaper, but doesn't have a built-in balancer. Balancing your packs (ensuring the voltage is the same in every cell) isn't absolutely necessary, but it will extend the overall life of the pack.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this charger/balancer out with the features and the price it has it cannot be beaten:-):

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger

Gerry
Old 10-18-2008, 10:50 PM
dezfan

I agree w/ KB, can't go wrong w/ the Hyperion chargers.

I love my 0606i.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 PM
hands without shadows

A charger is an investment, dont skimp on one. Buy one now that can support all the popular chemistries and can charge at more volts than you need. Give yourself room to grow. Buy cheap, buy twice.

I use my charger (Triton Jr.) for all kinds of stuff. If I were to get out of RC right now I would keep my charger.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hands that is a great charger, I love my triton2 w/ equinox balancer.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
u)

Well I've learned a lot in the since I first posted this thread, I drove an hour and a half to my CLOSEST, lol, hobby shop and talked to the main guy there and he taught me all kinds of stuff about batteries and chargers. I ended up getting an IMAX B5 charger, its awesome! It has the sweet blue display and can charge upto 5 lipo cells. It shows the charging voltage, charging time, mah's, and I can also see the individual voltage of each cell during charging, and the input voltage, and of course set saftey maxiums like timer, temp, mah, and low input voltage. The charger I had was about 11 years old so I was due for a new one. Oh yeah, it came with a bunch of different connectors for different style ends. And has a buillt in balancer.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
dezfan

Sounds like a nice unit!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
u)

Yeah its definetly the nicest charger ive ever owned. It was kindof an early christmas present from the wife cause i really needed one. I told her i just wanted to look at the chargers in the store but she ended up buying it for me

It was $90 for the charger and $30 for the 12v power supply.