Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Receiver Voltage question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:22 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Voltage question

I am starting to gather the parts to do my first scale truck. I wanted to put lights and a winch and other accessories on it, so I ordered a new 6 ch. receiver. Do I need a voltage regulator between the battery and the receiver if I am running a 6 cell NiMh pack? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
K_B

Default RE: Receiver Voltage question

The ESC will provide 5-6V to the receiver, so you can plug in whatever you need into other channels and they will receiver around 5-6V of power. If you're talking about plugging in a 7.2V receiver pack in addition to the ESC power, then you will be pumping over 13V into the receiver and that will pop it. What you can do is remove the red wire from the receiver plug on the ESC and use the 7.2V pack to run the receiver and everything else that's plugged in.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM

So on this project, it's no problem to go from the 7.2 battery to the ESC, then straight to a standard receiver? So, must be the ESc has some sort of voltage regulator in it? Thanks for your help so far.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:56 PM
K_B

Right. The ESC has it's own built in battery-eliminator-circuit (BEC) which is essentially a voltage regulator, so you don't have to use a separate receiver battery to power everything. However, when you start adding lights, winch etc. it might be a good idea to actually use a separate receiver pack or an external voltage regulator like this one:

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html

The ESC's built-in BEC may not be able to supply the amperage needed to run your steering, lights AND a winch under load.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Copy. Thanks for the info.