Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Buying a RC Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
adrians3109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a RC Crawler

Hi guys... for some time now i've been reading and browsing to learn more and maybe get an idea of what crawler to buy. So far i only had experience with modified new bright toy crawlersand i'm willing to get something better.

My selection might be one of these finalists; Axial RTR Losi Mini Crawler Duratrax Cliff Climber

What do you think? I think they are all capable but many just prefer axials.

I also have a question regarding the Axial RTR... it comes stock with 27T motor which i've read its a little bit fast... should i go for one with a 55T motor like the ready to crawl version? What is the difference? I'm willing to get an RTR and mod it later step by step.

thanks guys

Old 06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
K_B

Default RE: Buying a RC Crawler

RTC for sure. It comes with the necessary crawling components, including the 55T motor, whereas the RTR is severely lacking in a few departments. The RTR has flimsy steering links and those flimsy plastic suspension links. The RTC has all the alloy that their other models come with. The electronics are dodgey at best, but that pretty much goes for any RTR; crawler or otherwise.

The Losi and Cliff Climber are much smaller. It's easier to find terrain close by for the smaller trucks, but the Axial will still be more durable based solely on the fact that it's bigger.

EDIT:

Just checked Axial's website and the RTC also comes with plastic links, but they've beefed 'em up a bit, which is still an improvement over the RTR. They also include threaded shocks which is a nice bonus.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 PM
FairTax4me

Depends on what size you're looking for. The Losi MRC is a mini scale crawler. Comes in at about 9 or 10 inches long overall. The Duratrax will be a bit longer maybe 12 inches IIRC.

If you want a dedicated crawler the Losi 1/10 Comp crawler is a great way to go, it will cost more than an Axial, but it's much more versatile. Dig transmission, worm gear axles. Lots of cool features. http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodId=LOSA0051

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Zim-uh-tosa

I am digging my Wheely King that I bought for $124 plus shipping...I chunked a 55T motor and sidewinder ESC in for $100 and using my DX6i radio to control everything, including lights, and 4ws. Much better IMO to be able to install your own electronics. I made my own links from threaded rod to expand the wheelbase to fit an FJ40 body on the axles. I also made a custom frame and I am in the process of making a custom scale CNC cut frame that will have a custom motor mount to bring the motor under the Spur gear instead of over it for lower CG....

Really, It all comes down to what you wish to spend, if you like to mod/build, and how you want to drive it.

Z

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 AM
adrians3109

thanks for the replies guys

i dont really have anything in particular in mind... just a good capable crawler to have some fun really...no competitions or anything...something that keeps going where my new bright stalls LOL

i might still opt for the RTR and upgrade it myself bit by bit. Wouldnt like to go for the ARTR because i know nothing on electrics.

thanks again guys
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
MORNINGSTAR

if you want like a seroius crawler that you dont have to scrap 80% to do what your friends can......

id say losi axial or berg. (okay bully too)

this is my hindsight. i love froadin. so i got an RTR. 4wheelins fun, so this should be too right?

i then have so quickly became enfatuated with this hobby that ive tripled the POS's initial cost to get it what it can do now.

sooooooo if you wanna buck up....

buy a losi roller (artr), axial artr or the strait kit, or a pair of berg or bull azels, a chassies, and electronics.

all of those need a radio, esc's, motors etc.

but in the long run, doin it that way, you buy **** once. that is 100% hindsite from january.

NOW if you wanna spend less that $400, get somethin for ****s and giggles, and SEEEEEE if you want to engulf yourself w/ the cralwer hobby......

get the axial RTC not rtr
. big difference. cimes w/ craptastic electronics and runs out of the box. it actually CRAWLS unlike what my rtr used to do.

whick is flop around on the rocks like a big limp.... well you know.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
MASTERCHIEF199611

yeah id go with the rtc its got alot more stock than a rtr.it comes with a 55t motor and whole lot of better things.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
adrians3109

thanks again guys

i guess i'll followyour advice then... my finalists are Axial ARTR or RTC. I'll shop around and see what i find

adrian
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
adrians3109

Just when i was going to get the AX10 ARTR i just fell in love with the SCX10!!! ...i know its not a crawler and more of a scaler/trialer, but i think its more like what i want... getting an HPI land rover body on it will definitely look sweeter than on anything else and hopefully i wont have to mess with wheelbase.

Any of you have the SCX10? ...what do you think of it?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I strongly recommend the Axial AX-10 RTC it is the better of the 2 axial offerings. As far as branding. I have heard good stuff about the losi, not familiar with the others, but the Axial is by far one of the most popular ones, and has more mods, upgrades and replacements than you can shake a stick at. I hhave an AX-10 comp build and it is bulletproof!Inall my my tumbles off of steep clibs, and rough terrain, I have borked one Delrin link, and that didn't even stop me from crawling, just offset my rear axle a bit.

I would strongly suggest the axial by all means just for the simple fact you can go any direction with your build, and never run inot parts issues. and if you are out crawling and break something 9 times out of 10 if there are others crawling too, they probably have the part you will need to get back up and running.

If you go with the ARTR Ibelieve it comes with the aluminum links and you just need to add motor esc and electronics, etc. as far as motors go, if you want to stay with NiMh packs, go with a good handwound motor like the holes hobbies motors, I use the 35 turn handwound and it is a torque monster. runs nice and slow, but has a ton of torque and gets my AX-10 up climbs and grades others ar e just baffled by. the key to turns is this lower turns = more torque low end, higher turns = more speed less low end torque

that said if you plan to do a lot of technical crawling on rock piles etc. you want a torqier setup (low turn number) if you plan on doing more trail runs, a higher turn motor for the added speed on flat areas and smooth hill climbsis the direction you want to go.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: adrians3109

Just when i was going to get the AX10 ARTR i just fell in love with the SCX10!!! ...i know its not a crawler and more of a scaler/trialer, but i think its more like what i want... getting an HPI land rover body on it will definitely look sweeter than on anything else and hopefully i wont have to mess with wheelbase.

The SCX10 is almost a perfect compromise between looks and capability. I say almost because the body it comes with is fugly. It uses the same proven drivetrain as the AX-10 but with a very cool looking, scale ladder-frame metal chassis.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
adrians3109

ORIGINAL: K_B

The SCX10 is almost a perfect compromise between looks and capability. I say almost because the body it comes with is fugly. It uses the same proven drivetrain as the AX-10 but with a very cool looking, scale ladder-frame metal chassis.
yeah thanks man...that's what i wanted to hear :-) ...re body i dont really mind...whatever i buy will be forced to become a landy LOL. Just have a look at what i managed to do to my new bright...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8624987/tm.htm
Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Dang dude, that work you do with the cardboard is ****! It looks like you already have a few working trail rigs? Maybe you should by a bunch of Cliff Climbers when they go on sale(granted your bodies fit?) so you can have a chassis for all of those.

Nice work....

Z
Old 06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
FairTax4me

That is some serious custom body work there. Ever tried to make one out of sheet metal?
Old 06-21-2009, 04:59 AM
adrians3109

thanks for the nice comments guys

I guess those wont fit other models since i did them to fit exactly my new bright which is not a very scale chassis.

Yeah if i have to do another DIY body for my future project i would probably try sheet aluminium, balsa wood or styrene... but first i will have a go with the hpi defender.

thanks again guys
Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
grimgard

Ido its amazing!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
93firebird

I personally am in love with the Losi MRC I just recently ordered the bent lower links and plan in the future to get the New Era extended chassis for it. http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=9575
Then I plan on using the battery remount kit to move the pack to the front axle for distribution other than that. I think it is a great little truck, and very capable too. It also has the convenience of being small so its easy to pack in a back pack and take to a park on pack in the car to go on vacation with.