Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

AXIAL ESC

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
adrians3109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXIAL ESC

Hi guys

i'm a newbie to esc and axials. Today just finished setting up my scx and i'm not sure if all is fine. To start with i used an old controller and receiver from another car and i'm thinking they arent working ok... car responds but sometimes steering servo keeps doing sounds even when not in use. Also the ESC has an LED which lights green but when i drive goes red. Is this normal?

thanks guys
Old 07-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Default RE: AXIAL ESC

Although I do not have the axial ESC, this all sounds normal. I have the Sidewinder ESC and it behaves in the same manner except I think the lights are yellow at center, red in reverse and green in forward. My servos usually have a little buzz even when sitting in the center and not in use( I use the Hitec 645MG). If you goose the turning controls real fast the servo will usually stop buzzing. As long as you set the steering so it is just short of bottoming out, the servo will be under normal strains. If you are getting excessive buzzing at full left/right, then shorten the throw a bit until you don't hear it any more.

I did a comp this last weekend and was amazed at how loud everyone's servos were when just sitting idle...Now go play!

Z
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
adrians3109

Hi thanks for the reply

...but i got an update [] ...servo now stopped working. Can still hear the buzzing motor but its not responding. I'm sure it cant go bust without any use...this is still brand new. Could it all be coming from a faulty radio? i flipped channels but still with same result and servo still wont work (except for the buzzing noise). Forward / backwards always works fine on any channel so that kind of excludes a bit the radio.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Did you plug the servo in the receiver backward? I am guessing that the servo is an Axial servo that comes with the kit....If you have another servo, plug it into the same channel and see how it reacts.

Also, you might need an external BEC. I installed a BEC because the voltage would drop when in a bind and the servos were real weak. Now that I have a BEC running at 6v, my servos(4ws) work fine. A new BEC usually only costs around $10. It's good insurance to use one anyway so you know for sure that you have the proper voltage. If you buy a BEC, you have to run it off the pos/neg battery terminals and plug it into any open channel on the Rx. You also have to disable the BEC on the ESC by disconnecting or cutting the red wire on the ESC(I like to disconnect it with a jewelers screwdriver so I can re-connect it later if I want).

Keep us updated....

Z
Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I'll back Zim on the noise... I have a rooster crawler ESC, and Homes 35T motor and HiTec 5955TG steering and a 395MG micro Dig servo, and believe me when I turn on the power sounds like a swarm of angry hornets till radio comms are established... Alot of your glitching is probably from the old radio, and if there is any exposed wire on the antenna believe it or not it can cause the esc to have issues and also cause your servo to act up.... I would recommend geting a good HiTec servo for steering, and as soon as you can afford it get a better ESC also... The stock Axial ESC and servos are crap like on any RTR. the motor is sufficient for the time being, but I would also recommend getting something better soon in that area as well...
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 AM
adrians3109

thanks guys

i think i'll start off with a new radio and see what happens maybe its all coming from it hopefully since the one i'm using is an old one.

Steering servo is a Robitronic something... cant remember exact details...but didnt come with kit...i just chose middle option out of 3 different servos the shop had but according to the guy he said its a 9kg servo.

all i know is that this thing just switched off all the fun i was having in building it []

I'll do a search on BEC as well cos i have no idea of what this is LOL
Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
adrians3109

hi again guys

got servo checked and it was busted... now we installed another one which should be better and i also bought a new radio as well... a Futaba 2PL-FM which should be a huge improvement on my old radio. Havent installed anything yet though.

thanks again for all your help guys