Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

2.2 class rules- kinda hazy....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

2.2 class rules- kinda hazy....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.2 class rules- kinda hazy....

sportsman is the only 2.2 class with limits on number of motors and esc's correct? the reson ask is if one was so inclined, one could make a legal 2.2 dual motor setup, yes?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
860Crawler

Default RE: 2.2 class rules- kinda hazy....

Lots of people use dual motor in regular 2.2 class. Its called a motor on axle set up where each axle has its own motor. In fact, I'm pretty sure the whole rock crawling segment started by use of MOA axles from Clod Busters

If youre talking about twin motors driving one gearbox, thats another story. Mainly, it would be way too much weight up on the chassis to have any advantage over a single motor or motor on axle setup.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
K_B

The reason a dual motor setup is not allowed is because of dig and the ability to operate each axle independently. There's no dig allowed in Sportsman. We have guys that run in Sportsman with dig-equipped crawlers, but we just make sure it's disabled. If you disable the ability to run the axles independently on an motor-on-axle (MOA) crawler, I would think you'd be allowed to run it.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:16 PM
savagecommander

no i mean keep it a shafty, but have each axle driven by it own motor...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
K_B

You still run into the same problem. Dual motors allow you to operate the axles independentenly, which isn't allowed in Sportsman. As long as dig is disabled, it should be ok to run. But why would you go through all that work NOT to be able to use dig? Plus, the MOA setup gets rid of torque twist. Running a shaft with dual motors still has torque twist, so it would be more advantageous (and easier) to just run an MOA setup.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:28 PM
savagecommander

i like the idea of being able to control each axle independent- but i dont like the price on berg axles... guess im stuck between a rock and an expensive place....