Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM
misfit138x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions

i recently bought a tmaxx and afterwards got hooked on the rc hobby... anyway been looking at some crawlers and was wondering whats the best crawler for the money that u can make look like a scaled down version of a real truck i know pro-line and other companys sell bodys and what not but wasnt sure what all they fit... any input appreciated, also wondered how realiable are these things?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM
grimgard

Default RE: newbie questions

ORIGINAL: misfit138x

i recently bought a tmaxx and afterwards got hooked on the rc hobby... anyway been looking at some crawlers and was wondering whats the best crawler for the money that u can make look like a scaled down version of a real truck i know pro-line and other companys sell bodys and what not but wasnt sure what all they fit... any input appreciated, also wondered how realiable are these things?
If you want a scale 4x4 truck that can do well on the trails as well as the rocks look no further than Axials SCX-10. I own the AX10 (rock crawler) and the SCX10 and the 2.2 tires on the AX10 hook up better than the 1.9 tires of the SCX10 the good thing is you can run either 1.9 pr 2.2 tires on either truck. As to your question about the bodies you have to pay close attention to the wheelbase (the disance between the front & rear wheel nut) and the wheelbase of your truck. The SCX-10 does not have an adjustable wheelbase and depending on what version you get the wheelbase if different. The best way to get the body to fit perfectly is to shorten or lengthen your rear links to match the wheelbase of the body you want.

As for realiability Axial makes a great truck with strong chassis, axles, and transmission. If you get the kit or ARTR versions your are good to go because you will be adding your own electronics but if you buy the RTR version you will be sorry. The electronics Axial sells are total junk and it's a shame that the quality of the Axial Rc line stops when it comes to electronics. You will get fan boys who will tell you different but trust me your better off staying away from the RTR version.

Here is my SCX-10 (black Chevy Blazer Pro-Line CGR) and my AX-10 that was converted to a scaler with an X-trail chassis (green Bushwacker Pro-Line)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90321.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	1440366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40846.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1440367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99269.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1440368  
Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM
zman5000

i very much concur
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM
misfit138x

wow alot of good input there so what electronics should i throw into it the only experience i have is with nitro on my tmaxx and what kind of price range are we dealing with
Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
grimgard

wow alot of good input there so what electronics should i throw into it the only experience i have is with nitro on my tmaxx and what kind of price range are we dealing with
Well It depends on what your going for and its a matter of preffernce but I am a big fan of Novak products and Castle Creation products. In all of my scale trucks I use Novaks Rooster Crawler ESC that can handle up to a 7Cell (8.4v) NIMH Battery and 2s (7.4v) LIPO battery and it comes with a low voltage cutoff. Now for a little more speed I would go for a Tekin 35T brushed motor and if you want lots of torque and slow speed then I would go for a Novak 55T. You an find Combo deals that sell both the ESC and Motor for around $100.00. If you strapped for Cash RC4WD has some good prices on there electronics and while I have never used them I have heard good things and they have great customer service for around $50.00. [link]http://rc4wdstore.com/2/index.php?cPath=17&osCsid=f945ef40f206fc3f4430f2a5a15c8bb2[/link] You can get there ESC, Motor,Servo and even a radio if you need it from them.

Also a bit of advice This hobby tends to get addicitng and before you know it you will have multipul RC's and if you go the AM radio rout you will have to deal with Crystals and other people being on the same fequency. RC4WD and other companies now sell affordable (under $100.00) 2.4ghz digital spred spectrum radios that do away with crystals and having to worry about anyone being on the same channel as you are plus you can have 10 or more RC's on the same radio all you need to do is just buy another RX. I own the RC4WD 2.4ghz big offroader and it has worked great and has 15 car memory. So I have all my RC's on one radio. There are other brands so shop around.

feel free to ask as many questions as needed. Post some pictures of your build and have fun!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:54 PM
misfit138x

thanks man you are a huge help!!! but anyway on the axial website it says the truck is $450 so it may be awhile until i man up and buy it right now im kinda hard pressed to spend over 300 for another truck right now i got about 600 in my tmaxx and i know if i buy this crawler its gonna snowball out of control lol... but im not so sure thats a bad thing, now what motor would you suggest if i wanted to have the best of both worlds crawling and a little bit or trails and mud?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 AM
grimgard

thanks man you are a huge help!!! but anyway on the axial website it says the truck is $450 so it may be awhile until i man up and buy it right now im kinda hard pressed to spend over 300 for another truck right now i got about 600 in my tmaxx and i know if i buy this crawler its gonna snowball out of control lol... but im not so sure thats a bad thing, now what motor would you suggest if i wanted to have the best of both worlds crawling and a little bit or trails and mud?
You should be able to get it a lot cheeper elsewhere.... TCS crawlers has it for $239 and it comes with Two bodies can't beat that deal [link]http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Great-Deal-Free-complete-Dingo-Body-AX4010-and-Axial-SCX10-1-10th-Scale-Electric-4WD-Truck-Kit-No-Electronics-AX90007-p-17944.html[/link] and RPP Hobby has it for $224 but it come with just the stock body [link]http://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AX90007[/link] Here is wht mine looked like when it had the stock body on it. If you got the RC4WD electronics (ESC,MOTOR,SERVO) and the kit from TCS/RPP you would be just over $300.

As for your Motor Question a 27T motor would be good for trail/mud the great thing about brushed motors is that they are so cheap to buy so if you wanted more torque at a latter point you could just put in a higher turn motor for around $30.00

And to make sure your looking at the right truck....here is the technical info [link]http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10/[/link]

Servo $29.00 [link]http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=617&osCsid=15b1651a579276628776c186e45c8147[/link]
ESC $49.99 [link]http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=952&osCsid=15b1651a579276628776c186e45c8147[/link]
Motor 35T $10.00 [link]http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=689&osCsid=15b1651a579276628776c186e45c8147[/link]
Radio Rx & TX $79.00 [link]http://rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=616&osCsid=15b1651a579276628776c186e45c8147[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73938.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	1440639  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM
misfit138x

wow man that looked great stock now i deffinetly think i might get one but may be a little longer but i will get one. thanks for all your help man much appreciated!!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 AM
grimgard

wow man that looked great stock now i deffinetly think i might get one but may be a little longer but i will get one. thanks for all your help man much appreciated!!
When you get one post pictures!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
misfit138x

for sure man
Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
misfit138x

i also have another question if i bought the scx10 ive heard you can run 2.2 tires, would the mudslinger 2.2's work with the stock body?... eventually if i get one im going to get the full size blazer body in the picture above would it work for that too?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
grimgard

It should fit and you can run either 1.5's, 1.9's, and 2.2's I am running 1.9's on mine so you might have to trim the body to get 2.2's to work.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 PM
dug44
My Feedback: (2)

the ROCKCAT rs10 is the best crawler put of box for the money... Hands down... READTHEREVIEWS

Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 PM
grimgard

ORIGINAL: dug44

the ROCKCAT rs10 is the best crawler put of box for the money... Hands down... READ THE REVIEWS

OMG! I must sell al my RC's and go out and buy it! Must buy...Must buy...lol Thanks dug44 for the comedy.

Looks some Generic stuff everyone is selling and whats with the Tranformer looking pice covering the servo? Transformers more than meets the eye! I hear the Exceed crawler is giving it a run for the money... Run as far and fast as you can from the RS10.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 PM
misfit138x

lol wow... sorry man but it seems to me that im set on the axial i dont need to win any competitions or anything and i dont need people to tell me what to buy just to make suggestions like grimgard its people like u dug44 that make me not want to post ne more... but ne way i think ill say screw it and stick with 1.9's i do body work for a living and the full scale thing is my daily life as im sure there is a lot of people like that in this hobby but the axial seems decent priced and looks AMAZING imo. and it really sucks now because my local hobby shop only carried the ax10 and i went in the other day and they just started carrying the honchos and he was like i can get you the scx10 with no electronics for 230 so im 95% sure ill be bringing one home soon so stay tuned... should of never bought a t-maxx lol
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 PM
misfit138x

plus the rs10 looks kinda.... gay. i do body work its all about the looks for me lol
Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 PM
misfit138x

broke down today and bought a honcho!! now all i need are mud slingers and this is probably a total noob question but is there a way i can life it a little bit more?