Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

larger IOM type boats.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

larger IOM type boats.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 AM
ron ward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default larger IOM type boats.

hi fella's,

i would really like to build a sailboat. i've been interested in sailing all my life, did some sailing, owned a 1938woodenstar boat for a few years and worked occasionally for a boatbuilder during winter moths when i was laid-off from my trade.
naturaly, i though instantly about building a star, it would be easy enough and they are great sailers, but i would like to have something a bit larger. around 4ft.- 6 in. LOA. and would like to build round bilge....a bit more modern looking than a star,........... you know,plumb bow, open transom,high aspect rig, etc.
cost and effort are not a problem. i usually like to get really challenged in my projects and have the equipment and knowhow to build just about anything.
has anyone ever stretched a IOM to that size, or is there a class that would give me a readilyavailableset of plans in that size range and hull type?

thanks for the info,
ron ward
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: larger IOM type boats.

Go here: http://theamya.org/ Look at the boat pull down menu's to find what you like.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Orcatkt
My Feedback: (5)

There are some nice plans here
http://www.velarc.it/index.php?optio...id=2&Itemid=28
The real question centers around whether you want to race in class races or not. If you are just sailing for fun any of the above plans made to a size you choose would work. If you want racing around the 4 foot size, have you looked at the IACC120 which is 1/20 versions of the Americas Cup monohulls. Sit around 120cm, close to 4ft. Look great on display and sail very well. Google has a lot of resources on those.
Like Isay, once you know how you want to sail it, you will be able to pick a boat easier.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Islander51

To give you a few ideas, look here http://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=66 at the Marblehead and Ten Rater
designs.
Also look here http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...9-PHIGIT-Class for some info on the Phigit class,
you can do almost anything you like for hull length.

Edward.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 AM
ron ward

it'll be for pleasure saling, only. not much racing intrest in my area... lots of guys flying planes, but not much intrest in rc boats, or sailboats in general, for that matter. i've been told that sailboats are, "too much work", by most people around here........oh well....., i like 'em, so i want to build one. plenty of water to sail them around here.
           i know anout the AMYA, just starting to look around  for plans, thanks for the tips, i'll check them out !.

ron ward.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 AM
siberianhusky

Work? after racing nitro and electric boats these things are about a relaxing as it gets! You have time to think about what you're doing!
Todays generation! if you don't punch a button and it goes it's too much work!
I love sitting on the dock on a Sunday afternoon with a cocktail sailing around the bay for a few hours, or 2 boat match races with the girl.
We have a few RG's I've built over the last couple years. New Laerke will be floating this spring.