Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Help with rigging question 52" Eastwinds sailboat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Help with rigging question 52" Eastwinds sailboat

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 03:40 PM
fastfisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rigging question 52" Eastwinds sailboat

Hello. Recently picked this up at an estate sale. I found pics of it online and it is a 52" Eastwinds fishing sailboat. I got as much done as I could from the pics online but I'm not sure how to run the rigging for the sails. If anyone has any insight on this model or better pics that would be great!

Old 08-23-2022, 04:10 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

First, you appear to be missing the mizzen sail. It should be on that mast just aft of the pilot house. (Wait, I see it hidden behind the mizzen mast in your top photo) What I don't see is how to rout the sheet(s) to it; there should bone or two sheet exits behind the pilot house. That sheet just forward of the pilot house is likely the main sheet and comes off the larger sail servo. The second line on the big servo is likely the mizzen sheet but I don't see where it goes. There are two eyes on the transom that probably are use for the mizzen but I don't see any lines going that way. The drawings should show where and how these sheets attach to the booms.
Second, The other servo has tow lines that appear to be the jib and foresail sheets. As one side comes in the other goes out. I see that each of those splits into two sheets, one for the foresail and one for the jib. It's likely they are controlled by the aileron stick (that's how mine are controlled).
Lastly, I searched for Darcie Botha, the name of the boat, and found it likely means Da (The) RC Boat, eh? I also searched for Eastwinds sailboat and found photos of Eastwind 44s that look almost like this one except the deck layout. Keep checking that for images and you may find some that show the rigging better, I did that for my Emma C Berry when I was rigging my main to see how to add running backstays.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:58 AM
fastfisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. You can find this model on rcscalemodelstore.com here are some more pics. I don't think there is any sheets going to the mizzen sail. I see one of the servos goes to the main sail and the other one that comes out of the floor in in the front. Not sure how to hook that one up. And the other servo looks like it's rigged to go in a circle with 2 lines coming off of it.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:23 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The web site you give says only the main is controlled, the other sail are free, probably loosely sheeted. I think the previous owner added the second sail servo to control the jib, and possibly the foresail. I also think the lines on the servo are wrong. As they are, both lines go in and out at the same time. I think one line should go in as the other goes out - one line should wrap on the servo in the opposite direction as the other (this is how lines work on most sail servos in production boats now). Then one set of leads (one from each side) would connect to the clew of the foresail and the other set to the clew of the jib.
I have no idea what that second line from the main sheet servo does. I looks just long enough to go to the foresail clew but then what are the two additional lines from the second servo for? Maybe they go to the foresail clew but are only used when the sail is out for a reach.

Good luck on figuring this out. I love sailing but don't like the standard "one servo controls all sails" setup use by most boats today. That's not the way real sailboats work. I found with my Valiant 40 I could do minor course corrections using the jib sheet and leaving the rudder trimmed amidships. And you have a lot more flexibility running downwind if you can control the jib separately from the main. On a schooner or ketch is is critical. My Emma C Berry is a schooner with six servos, one for the rudder, one for the main and topsail, one for the foresail, one for the port/starboard control of the staysail and jib and one each for the in/out control of the staysail and jib sheets. I don't have a motor but do have a rescue boat.