Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Need Advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 10:57 PM
RoryJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice

Dear All

I am newbie to RC and just acquired a Nauticus Monsoon. This came without controller and battery. It does have the sail winch and rudder servos installed both rated at 4.6-6V. One is KPOWER PO-300 (rudder) the other B1226. Protected in a Happy Birthday balloon I also found the receiver which is a very small bare circuit board with soldered wires. The only ID is FRYSKY 8ch with many subs printed. So this has three flying leads (servo 1 and 2 and battery) plus aerial extending from it. So questions are:

1. What TX controller / handset do I need , is this a 2.4 ghz receiver.
2. What battery / charger should I get I am assuming doesn't need to be that 'big' as should be light use.
3. If cannot id receiver then could replace with known 2 ch item? which one / make, etc.
4. Anyone doing deals on TX/RX battery and charger and what is best company to source RC bits.

Many thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2023, 08:13 AM
thomas.armstrong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you buy a cheap modern digital Transmitter. Two channels are enough, though it is difficult today to find a radio with only 2 channels... They all normally come with 1 Receiver, or you can buy an inexpensive one. Replace the one in your boat. Servos/whinches are compatible with any receiver brand so don't worry about that.
Example:
Amazon Amazon

For battery there are many 6V options. I suggest you get a 5-cell NiMh (5 x 1.2V = 6V) rated about 800-2000 mAh (enough for several hours of sailing)
Example: https://hobbyking.com/es_es/turnigy-...er-series.html

Charger: any generic modern digital charger will do. (any brand - they are all the same inside)
Example: https://hobbyking.com/es_es/turnigy-...e-charger.html

Regards,
Thomas
Old 05-25-2023, 08:36 AM
RoryJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Thomas

Many, many thanks for your time and info greatly appreciated. Time to go shopping, happy sailing.

Regards
Rory
Old 01-14-2024, 07:21 PM
AEK42

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears that the boat had a Flysky receiver. A Flysky FS-I6 or FS-I6x would be a compatible Transmitter, and they are cheap and good.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:39 AM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The FRYSKY receivers are generally only compatible with FRSKY transmitters and some Futaba transmitters. (Futaba has several protocols, so would would need to see which one it fits your FRSKY. FrSky is synonymous with Taranis & AloftHobbies.com. FrSky is both a protocol & a manufacturer. ACCST = Advanced Continuous Channel Shifting Technology); some FrSky systems use the same chip as Futaba but may or may not be compatible with Futaba. FrSky is known for its low-cost Rxs that have telemetry. See the posting on transmitter protocols at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...o-RC-Protocols FRSKY receivers are not compatible with Spektrum transmitters which use DSM2, DSMP, and DSMX formats. RC Universe has several threads on the FYSKY, for example FRSKY 8CHANNEL SET-UP You can do a Google search of FRSKY and get the instruction manual.

Now, for Economics 101... Most Futaba transmitters are generally upper end (expensive) equipment. However, assuming you do not need a programable computer radio or model memory, then Motion RC lists an entry level 6 channel Futaba sport transmitter and receiver for $110, but it is currently out of stock ( https://www.motionrc.com/collections/rc-aircraft-radios ). You might buy a 6/7 channel Spektrum DXs entry level transmitter for $114 from Horixon Hobby and buy a Lemon 7 channel receiver from Motion RC (LM0081 DSMX/DSM2 compatible receiver) for
Old 01-15-2024, 09:43 AM
AEK42

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's FLYSKY. A Transmitter costs less than $50.