Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Waterproofing .. ?

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Waterproofing .. ?

Old 10-15-2003, 11:39 PM
bobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproofing .. ?

What is the best way to keep the switches and receiver + battery from getting wet during sailing? I am more worried about the switch as it is installed on the boat and will be the first item to catch on some water ?

thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2003, 01:18 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Waterproofing .. ?

The best way I've found yet is to have a water tight hull and hatches. If you have dusty bilges the electronics will not be a problem. Some cover them with balloons and condoms. Electronics in use generate heat and will deteriorate when too much is generated. I leave mine in the open. One advantage over RC aircraft is that there is little if any vibration that has to be dampened with foam rubber.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:41 PM
rob1416

Batteries don't seem to mind getting wet once in a while. Rx and switch should be mounted under the deck (velcro). Connections can be coated with silicon (Radio Shack, in a tube). On windy days, tape the hatch cover.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:58 PM
SkipperDave

There's also a very handy DiElectirc Waterproofing material you can use, I've dipped my RX, Servos, and switches in it and they work fine. Batteries in a balloon stay pretty dry. The waterproofing stuff is AeroPlate. It's linked from the AMYA Suppliers listing pages.
Just follow the instructions and it works great.