Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

RC Laser

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

RC Laser

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Bill McW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Laser

Anybody else out there sail a Laser?

Bill
Old 01-14-2004, 08:47 AM
RobStagis

Default RE: RC Laser

Yep - like 'em, too!!! I only recommend the use of the original rig and the purchase of the A-rig, at least here in New England where we have lots of light-breeze days..... How do you like your Laser?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Bill McW

Hi Rob.

I love my Laser!
I chose the Laser because of the high winds we have here in Oklahoma. 15 mph is the average wind speed here, and that is too much for my Seawind.
My boat was ordered with the standard B-Rig, C-Rig, carry bag and folding stand. My initial thought was I would sail the Seawind in wind up to 12 mph and the Laser in higher winds. I also planned to sail the Laser in a less protected body of water. I've had it out in winds around 30 mph and in chop that would swamp the Seawind.
I now have the A-Rig on order because I prefer sailing the Laser over any of my sloops. We seldom get wind less than 10 mph here (maybe once in 20 visits to the lake). But now I'll be prepared for all conditions.
To me, the Laser is the superior boat around here. You can take it anywhere and sail it in winds from 1 to 30+ mph.
I owned a full-size Laser back in the 80's and the RC version sails very much like it.
I sail often. Twice a week-even in winter. The Laser allows me to sail when its convenient with me-not when the wind is perfect.

Bill
Old 01-14-2004, 12:25 PM
RobStagis

Harumph - sailing in winter. The last time I was out was New Year's Eve. It's 5 degrees and blowing HARD here in CT today. Pond's rocksolid.....oh, well - time to build.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
alex909

I really want one but they're soooo expensive. Is pricing standard everywhere or are there some stores that are less expensive than others?

Alex
Old 01-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Bill McW

The price is fixed at $429 and $529 (with bag) wherever you go[&o]
< http://sailrclaser.com >
< http://www.gbmy.com >
The good part is that class rules are so strict that other than the A and C-Rigs, there's nothing else to buy.
Many of my friends have well over $400 invested in their Seawinds or Victorias. And if the wind is above 12mph, they cannot sail them.
The "boat-in-a-bag" option is an additional $100 (included with purchase) or $120 separately. It is a very convenient option when it comes to transporting your Laser. Set-up and disassembly is less than 5 minutes.
Finally, Lasers are constructed from a pliable mediun resembeling tupperware. They are incredibly robust and should last a very long time.

Bill
Old 01-15-2004, 10:04 AM
RobStagis

Yeah, the price has put me off, too, but Bill's right - a race-ready anything is relatively expensive, though you can space out the expenditures. My dad bought his for $275 from a hobby shop - a guy won it in a raffle but didn't want it and put it up for sale on consignment. Keep your ear to the ground - it'll happen.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Bill McW

I know where a brand new Laser is and the selling price is $250!
The deal includes the boat, Hitec TX/RX, Hitec servos and the standard B-Rig.
This is a new boat that has not been in the water.
It is being offered by the commodore of the local Victoria fleet.
Ping me off line if you wish to pursue.

Bill
Old 01-15-2004, 11:52 AM
alex909

Bill,
Check your PM box or e-mails.... or both. I've never sent a message before so I sent a PM and an e-mail. Thanks!

Alex
Old 01-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Bill McW

Alex.

I'm at work and won't see my personal email until I get home tonight.
You can proceed in contacting the seller of the Laser without me.
His name is Ray Wright < [email protected] >.
Ray and the boat are located in Yukon, Oklahoma-about 25 miles SW of Oklahoma City.
He is a very nice person and very involved in RC sailing as well as the Sooner State Yacht Club (Victorias')
Please let me know how things turn out.
If you get a Laser you will be spoiled forever
I have a Seawind, Nirvana and Laser to choose from when I go sailing. The wind is usually the deciding factor and the Laser wins in anything above 12mph.
As it turns out, I favor the Laser in all conditions except wind less than 10mph.
That's why I ordered the A-Rig.
I'm afraid my sloops will be gathering dust for awhile.

Bill
Old 01-15-2004, 01:57 PM
alex909

Bill,
Thanks, I e-mailed ray and will let you know when/if I hear from him. Thanks for the lead.

Alex
Old 01-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Bill McW

Alex.

Any luck with the Laser?
I heard Ray Wright was going to the Virgin Islands this weekend to race his Vic. If you don't get a response right now, maybe its because he's already there?

Bill
Old 01-20-2004, 10:57 AM
alex909

Hey Bill,
Sorry it took me so long to get on here (or e-mail you) to post the status. Ray was VERY kind and actually sent out the boat BEFORE he received my payment of $271. I was so surprised that he'd send something of that value to a stranger before receiving due payment for it. On top of that, he offered to split the shipping cost of $40 with me. Anyway, I have sent out payment for it and, according to his UPS tracking number, I should have the boat tomorrow evening. Next time you see him, please thank him again for me. Also, thank you for the contact and the heads up.

Alex
Old 01-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Bill McW

Alex.

Good to hear you got the Laser.
And, I agree that Ray is a super guy.
When you get your boat I suggest you spend some time studying the Laser web site < http://sailrclaser.com >
Go to the index and click on "Tips and Tricks". There you'll find all kinds of practical information on your Laser.
I would suggest you do the following tasks before sailing it since its never been on the water.

"Up Your Antenna" Drill your hatch turret and wind your antenna around the hatch as described under the "stealth antenna". Pick up an appropriate-sized bolt end protector cap at Ace Hardware to plug the stock antenna's deck mount.
These are small rubber caps in various sizes. There will be an example on your stock antenna tube. The size you'll need is larger. While you are at the hardware store, pick up a roll of white electrical tape to wrap over your turret-mounted antenna. This will cost you less than $3.

"Shoot the Juice to Me". This will be absolutely necessary due to your boat's storage life. I use Vasilene, a small syringe and a short section of aquarium air pump tubing to inject the stuff around the servo horn. Once you do the juice thing, you'll be dry below deck in any situation. I juice my boat after every 3rd sail because I sail in rough water.
BTW, don't completely remove the sail winch drum from the servo spline. Just remove the mounting screw and raise it up just enough to inject the juice.

"Angle of Dangle" describes how to properly set up your mainsheet. I suggest you set it up as "quartered" leaving a little more tightening in your trim control on the TX. You never bring the main close to the center axis of a Laser like you do with sloops. When your boom points directly at the spot where the gunnel meets the stern when you are sheeted in, you are perfect. And you always have a bit more left in the TX trim. Still, start a little further out in the "quartered" position for your first couple of sails.

"Its so easy speed clips" Pick up a pack of fishing tackle clips at Bass Pro or any tackle store. It will cost less than $2 and really makes sail attachment/removal easier.

Boat Stand. Get a wooden folding stool at Target, Wal Mart or elsewhere. These are the old fashioned, scissor-folding deals with canvas seats. Slit a hole in the canvas a little larger than the keel bulb and either stitch or reinforce the outline of the hole with an iron-on patch. This will cost less than $10. You end up with an excellent portable stand for display or tuning prior to launching. The bonus is you can sit on it while sailing.

Lasers are a bit different than other RC sailboats in respect to set up and handling characteristics.
But I'm certain you will love your boat the first time you bring it in from sailing it.

Feel free to contact me anytime with questions or concerns.

Bill
Old 01-20-2004, 03:39 PM
alex909

Bill,
Thanks so much for the tips. I'll follow your guide and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you once I get the boat set up.

Alex
Old 01-31-2004, 11:57 AM
AndyDT

hello,

glad to find so many other laser-sailers, that enjoy the boat as much as I do. I purchased the boat just last year. Had a perfect sailing year so far. Started of my sailing 2004 year with a vacation down in cuba. Sailing there for sure is a big pleasure. Had a lot of fun, and must say that the boat has a very good handling, even in the hard sea-conditions.

I can just recommend this boat, big fun!

Andy
Old 02-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Bill McW

Andy.

The fact that you could take your Laser on vacation with you is impressive.
I can take mine along too. The Laser's ease of transportation (even by aircraft) was among the considerations for my purchase.
I know of no other boat that can take high wind and chop, be moved around easily, be equipped as well, and be as much fun as the Laser.
Good to hear you are also pleased with yours.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41156.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	96228  
Old 02-04-2004, 06:04 AM
skipperbob

I just got a New Laser from a guy up near Jacksonville for $409. That was the lowest price I could find. The website is www.vagare.com/rclaser . Anyway, my question is this. I took the laser sailing yesturday and it had more weather helm then I am used too. Is there a way to adjust sail to be a little more balanced? A side from that issue, I love the boat. Man is it fast!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Bill McW

You probably sheeted in too far, a common mistake.
Until you get accustomed to the Laser's Cat Rig, I would suggest the boom point slightly further out than the intersection of the hull and transom when you are fully sheeted in. For a better explanation see "Tips and Tricks"-"Angle of Dangle" on the RC Laser website. <http:// www.sailrclaser.com >.
Your new Laser will demand your full attention all the time you sail it. You can't afford gaps in concentration like you can with sloop-rigged RC sailboats.
Then again, once you get a feel for the boat, you can set a course and let your Laser sail all the way across the lake unattended,
but the sail will be sheeted farther out than you think it should be.

Bill
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 AM
RobStagis

The more you bend your mast by tightening the outhaul, the further aft the center of pressure is - thereby generating more weather helm. Um - move the outhaul clip out on the boom, but leave the mast straighter - at least for now. That link (above) is a good one.....lots of tips.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 PM
skipperbob

Thanks for the tips guys. I stopped on the way home and did what Bill suggested that helped a lot. I will try the outhaul adjustment next time. I do have the outhaul tight (I was trying to flatten out the sail). In doing so it sounds like I created a lot of my own weather helm.

Bob
Old 02-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Bill McW

The first time I sailed my Laser with my new A-Rig, the wind was about 8mph and I experienced weather helm big time.
I had gathered well over 50 hours experience with the other two sails in all kinds of wind conditions. This was the lowest wind I had seen in months so I couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally, I realized I had set the outhaul to the B-Rig's regular setting. I loosened it 1/2"on the boom, which straightened the mast and moved the center of effort forward. I also had a fuller sail. That solved the problem. It also makes sense that your light wind sail needs a fuller shape that is accomplished by a straighter mast and looser outhaul.
Like I mentioned before, the Laser is a demanding boat. But the trade off is an extremely sensitive and capable sailboat.
In time, you will find yourself experimenting with the sail settings. Bending the mast and flattening the outhaul provides incredible pointing abilities, particularly if you are in 15mph or better wind and have those fortunate "lifters".
But if you bring the boom too close to the center like you would on a sloop, you get an awkward and slow boat.
I have my mainsheet set where the boom is 1/2" inward of the gunnel when the TX control is full in. I still can bring the boom inward an additional 1/2-3/4" with the trim control on the TX. Still, its nowhere near centered-maybe halfway.
It will seem odd initially, but you get your speed with a looser hauled main and tighter outhaul with more mast bend.

Bill
Old 02-21-2004, 06:08 PM
ahab1933

My potential sailing area is a large marine bay.. The problem of eel grass has me thinking more-n-more of a non-bulb keel - preferable one that tilts back a little to help "wash"off the grass. Eel grass in about 3/8 inch wide, 1/16 in thick and about 18 inches long. The brant like to munch on the "roots" causing lots of floating eel grass that is a problem with all watercraft. The fairwind and soling come to mind as probably usefull for this problem area.

I would prefer the laser...but.. Any sugestions on detering the accululation of this grass..

Jarvis
Old 02-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Bill McW

Can you find an inland lake without salt water or eel grass?
That stuff sounds terrible. It would be a mess with any real Laser, Sunfish or any other dagger board-type sailboat.
I think it might even screw up an RC Fairwind or Soling. The problem is without sufficient speed, you wont be able to steer. And that stuff sounds like its going to wrap itself around anything moving through the water. I've had floating moss really mess up performance with my Laser in moderate wind when it wrapped itself around the keel.
It just sounds like a place to avoid[sm=drowning.gif]

Bill
Old 02-27-2004, 08:48 AM
RobStagis

Either the Fairwind or Soling are more weed-free than the Laser, and have less draft to boot. I know all about eelgrass...late in the season, it'll get barnacles on it, too - y'know what that feels like scraping the skin off your shoulders when you dive into it? *sigh*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.