Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Northwind 36

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Northwind 36

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 AM
pjesus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Northwind 36

ORIGINAL: Sailingkid
Has anyone thought about adding say 300mm to the top of a northwinds mast then using a really big mast crane top put on a lot more sail area? i reckon they would fly like that!
I don't think the Northwind can handle much more sail area, unless in very light winds.
Otherwise, you'll either have the bow diving going downwind or the boat tilting a lot when going upwind...

Anyway, try it and give some feedback.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:09 AM
cat sailor

The NW36 is in the 36-600 class which if raced in class is limited to 600 square inches of sail area. There is an optimum hight for a mast, and the NW36's is already pretty high. The rig on the boat as it comes out of the box is pretty basic and quite dated. I've mentioned the limitations of the design in earlier posts on this thread, but if it was to be re-desiged with the modern philosophy, the mast would probably be a little higher, the mainsail would have a higher aspect ratio (be taller and thinner in otherwords) and have a square top, and the jib will be a bit smaller and have a higher aspect ratio as well.

How would this help? Well, the higher aspect ratios will give a bit more power with less aerodynamic drag and the square top will allow the sail to relase power without affecting performance too much. This works because as the mainsheet is eased, the wind blows the top of the sail open first thus releasing the power from the top of the sail keeping the bottom of the sail powered up. This means the boat has less heel when sailing close to the wind and it will go faster. To see what I mean, have a look at Midget's first photo. His NW36 is sailing almot the same tack as the other boats but is heeled much more. The boats behind have more sail area at the top and have opened out there because the helm has eased the mainsheet. Now, these are a different design and the NW36 isn't allowed a sail such as these boats due to the class maximum roach of 2 1/2". However, a max allowable roach when measured perpendicular to the leach at the head of the sail will allow some 'squareness' and with a straight leach, will allow more control than currently afforded.

Sorry Midget, it's not a criticism of your new sail, in fact your boat looks fantastic.

To see what a modern sail looks like, google for this year's Amercias cup boats and have a look at their rigs.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 AM
pjesus

ORIGINAL: cat sailor

[...]the square top will allow the sail to relase power without affecting performance too much. This works because as the mainsheet is eased, the wind blows the top of the sail open first thus releasing the power from the top of the sail keeping the bottom of the sail powered up.
This brings an interesting question: How do you make this work on a NW, that needs the backstay?
The "square" top of the mainsail can't be connected to the mast crane, otherwise that effect you described simply won't happen.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:08 AM
cat sailor

No, the top isn't connected to the crane. It's held in it's square shape by bracing from battens. My full size boats both have square top sails and they have the square held out by a batten which points up from the horizontal by about 30 degrees as well as having stiifer material at the top of the sail. I plan to make such a sail for mine from mylar (when I eventually find the time) which will have the top re-inforced with either a double or triple thickness, or cloth tape.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Sailingkid

yes i think that you would need to take the masthead crane off and build a longer one, and as long as you built the sail so that it flags the top upwind and sets downwind i think ud be fine.[8D]
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Midget

I don't Think extending the mast 300mm will help.
It will make the yacht go faster in light wind, but in heavy it will be way to much.
I say this because When i sailed my northwind against some Storm 100's, For starters the storm
100 is 1m long (Northwind 36 is 90cm), Also the storm 100 has a mast high of 100cm (Northwind 123cm).
Im not sure how much the storm 100 ways compared to the northwind, But i can tell you the storm is a lot heaver.
So anyways, I noticed that when a gust of wind hit my nortwind it would just heal over, until
I let the sails out a bit, Mean while a gust hits the storm 100, doesn't heal over and just powers on past me.
I think this is because of 2 reasons, the sails are to tall, or the lead weight is to light.

I'm not sure what winds you sail your northwinds in, But I would think about changing the shape of the
northwinds Main sail.

The First pic is the shape of sail im thinking of, because the standard sail in my opinion spills wind very low to
the boom. This is ok in heavy winds, but not so good in light.
The second pic is just comparing the to boats on the same tack, same wind gust, just the northwind leaning a hell
of a lot more than the storm 100.

But this is just my opinion, By all means make the mast taller
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67568.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	782057   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43414.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	782058  
Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I just checked mine over and charging the electronics.I have 2 of them,one for the Girlfriend.We never used them at all this year,but now the weather is lousy and blustery.Cant wait to get them on the water again [8D]
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
nitro wing

Had a good time with it,but I think my sails are sloppy and the Sail angle seems too much at midstick.
I had some very strong gusts,I almost had the sail in the water.I find that the nose digs in when running agressive,its still above water,is there a way to get the rear to run deeper?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 PM
bobslr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I've had the bow of my NW go competely under the water when running down wind in a strong wind,I think it has to do with exeding the maximium hull speed the boat just won't go any faster so the bow is forced down.
As to the boat heeling over so far that the sails are in the water ,When mine gets to about 45 degree's I let the sail's out a bit and the boat straighten's up.
Bob
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
nitro wing

Dang,so I am exceeding the boats limits [X(]
I guess it wont plane like a power boat?
I like it when it gets rough out here,we've got plenty of lakes and stormy weather most times of the year.
I would love a boat that take some punishment and sail in rough conditions.
I looked at the Avalon 44 by Victor models,is it worthy? Anything else a bit bigger and performance oriented?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
[alan k]

I need help. I just took my boat out for one of the first sails and i forgot to tighten the nut down on the rudder post. The rudder is now on the bottom of my lake and i have no idea where to get a new rudder. apparently the northwind as been discontinued??? Any ideas are welcome-alan
Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Obechi, brass rod, epoxy. It is quite possible to actually make one. If somebody else is sailing one, you get the dimensions from there.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
bobslr

I aggree,You"ll probably have to make one.
Bob
Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey hey guys, its been about a year since i bought my NW kit, and only really now ive gotten much progress on it :P Still needing to be completed are my radio gear stand and finally sail rigging.

Do you guys have a secret to storing the rig when transporting? From what i can see completely detaching the mainsail from the mast would take alot of time and effort, that would probably result in my breaking something off of it.. same goes for splitting the mast sections

Anyway heres my new paint job.. she still needs a name, any suggestions?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 PM
bobslr

Hi
I have a triangleular wooden box that I transport and store my mast and sail's as a unit.
Bob
Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 AM
RC Floyd

Hey Guys, After reading most of this thread I have come to the concluion that your all nuts. I can see why though. Ive had my NW for about 4ish years now and Its a lot of fun and a great way to waste time. There are 5 of us where I live who have NW's. They are all set up on different channels so we can have evenly matched regattas with the same specifications. They are all custom painted so you can tell them apart in the distance. I live by the ocean and we sail in the harbour and as long as we wash them down afterwards, the salt water doesn't matter. I happened to stumble across this thread after I was looking at ways to fix a couple of things on my yatch. and I found all the answers here and It looks as though I'll be busy for a while. Thanx Guys from Victoria Australia
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
lmbp

Hello all!

This is my first post here in this Forum. I live in Portugal and I'm a personal friend of pjesus (yellow Java). I have a Northwind 36 that I decided, a few year ago, to upgrade and transform.

Here I'm sending some pictures of the "new" Northwind MAXIMUS.

The "interiors" mounted on carbon fibre.

Some handmade deck fittings and bowsies.

Carbon reinforcment to support higher mast tension.

New carbon mast crane

The electronics in place and a carbon shelf to hold battery box.

With the first set of molded sails.

I hope you liked Maximus.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
bobslr

Hi
Welcome to the forum,You did a great job on your NW I like the rigging
Where did you get your sail's?
Bob
Old 02-13-2008, 05:59 AM
lmbp

Hi bobsir
Thanks for your words.
The sails are homemade. I used a program named sailcut4 to cut the pannels and then I mounted the sails over a homemade mould.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:21 AM
pjesus

ORIGINAL: lmbp

This is my first post here in this Forum. I live in Portugal and I'm a personal friend of pjesus (yellow Java).
It was about time you showed Maximus around here! ;-)
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
TIA

Hi!

Where are you guys getting your sails or sail material?

Anyone ever make a B or C rig for this boat?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
bobslr

Hi
For sail's you might try here http://www.carrsails.com/
Bob
Old 08-04-2008, 01:44 PM
thedonnn

Very nice
would like to see more detail on your rigging however
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 AM
ZRYDE

You guys have done some nice work. I just finished painting my first RC Sailboat, it's the Northwind 28.

I've seen all the custom work done on the sail servos. I was wondering if the servo arm seems to be such an issue, has anyone considered converting to a winch servo? Can that be done? Any thoughts on the pros & cons?

I'll try to post pics soon.

thx
ZRYDE
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM
circuitfxr

Originally Posted by ABE7
their is this guy with a r/c sub that happens to be their sometimes when i'm boating. SEES MY BOUT HE RAMS INTO IT![:@]
do you guys have any ideas on what i should do to avoid his sub?[]
Depth charges! LOL