Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Bouyancy foam? What is it and where can I get it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Bouyancy foam? What is it and where can I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:18 PM
chall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouyancy foam? What is it and where can I get it?

I'm building a sailboat kit that calls for "2-part buoyancy foam" and specifically says NOT to use the foam that comes in an aerosol can.

What is "2 part buoyancy foam", and where can I get it? I've looked at the Tower Hobbies website, my local hobby shops, the hardware store, and a boating supply place. The only place that has heard of it is the boat (full size) supply store, and they sold it by the gallon for $60 or so (they were also out of stock).

Can someone help me out? What's wrong with the aerosol foam I see *everywhere*?

Thanks,

C. Hall
Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM
pompebled

Default RE: Bouyancy foam? What is it and where can I get it?

Hi Charles,

The foam you see "everywhere" is not suitable for our boathulls, as it tends to expand uncontrollable, you may end up with a hull that looks like a sausage, as too much will blow up your hull, mostly beyond repair, or you'll have a small dot in one place, that refuses to expand and becomes as hard as a rock.

The 2-part foam is designed to expand more or less controlled, so you won't wreck your boat.

Depending on the space you have left in the boat, pieces of styrofoam, cut to fit, will work as well, as long as you fill every available corner, not occupied by the working innards.

On my 1M Voyager I have omitted buoyancy altogether, but have a hatch that's really waterproof.

In my experience, when a sailboat springs a leak, or gets run over, the relative huge ballast makes buoyancy rather fuitile..., it's gone within seconds.

Regards, Jan.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:20 PM
schmism

ORIGINAL: pompebled

The foam you see "everywhere" is not suitable for our boathulls, as it tends to expand uncontrollable.
well yes and no.

technically the A/B foam is a fairly rapid expanding foam. and is not generally available in small amounts. (the comapny i work for uses it and gets it in 55 gallon drums)

there are 2 types of insulation foam you can buy in a can. Hi-expansion, which expands quickly, and low expansion which expands slowly. the can will say.

The low expansion/slow stuff should work fine. you can always squirt some on something and watch how it does.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
andy1499

I don't use foam at all. What I do (and many in my local RC sailing club do) is use an airbag--the type sent with shipments/packages usually made of clear plastic. Depending on the size of the boat, you can take one and stuff it inside the hull forward of the keel trunk. Just be careful if you plan to drill in any holes in the deck not to punch a hole in the airbag below!

Andy
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 AM
chall

Thanks for all the advice!

By the way, I finally found the 2-part foam in small quantities. It's made by Northeast Hobbies as "Liquid Foam". Tower Hobbies does carry it for about $12.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:58 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

I have used ping pong balls in a zip lock bag, works good and cheap.
You can use velcro to hold it in place.
Don