Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

just curious

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

just curious

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just curious

Been a sailor (real boats) for years. Just wondering why have a boom for the jib. Has anyone tried just attaching the jib right to a forestay rather them having a boom.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:35 PM
atwinda

Default RE: just curious

I couldn't tell you why people haven't; But I can tell you that my new boat will not use a jib boom and have the forstay run through a pocket in the luff of the jib.

I think most people buy their sails or use the ones in the kits.. I have the ability to make them (I am a sail maker by trade) so customizing them is a different sorry for me.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:43 PM
IanHB

Because the jib sheet attachment points on a model yacht are not out on the rail and as the sheeting winch arrangment for an overlapping jib is very difficult to engineer.
It is so much easier to use a self tacking jib and keep the correct foot curve on a jib boom.
Downwind it is easy to gull wing.
There are a few classes that use overlapping geneoas but they tend to only look good and work well when hard on.
Off the wind they look crap..[:-]
If you are keen to try then go ahead. I can link you to information that would assist if desired. We would all love to see your results as nothing looks so good as a well set 100%---120% headsail model or fullsize.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 04-13-2006, 12:56 PM
panamsail

Dear Cotman,

I have 73" sloop that I built with instructions and designed and managed to engineer a system for an overlapping jib. It requires three servos, one for the genoa, rudder, and main. It work remarkably well and not to bad wing on wing down wind. Because it is larger, I have a much larger battery and said non-stop for four hours and possibly more but don't know how much more. I usually sail it in a quite part of Mission Bay, in San Diego, CA. It is quite simple to sail and gives the feeling that you are truly sailing on the thing. I come back from a day of sailing feeling like I was sailing on a real boat for the day. I built a the boat, then the mold and now have the firts out of the mold. There are many impovements that still can be made, but I am considering selling them, if I draw enough attention and desire for some real sailing.

Panamsail
Old 04-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Guiri

There are some very clear plans for a genoa system on http://www.mzgn.nl/ Then go to "Tuigage en de zeilen" and then the last page of "Saphir met GENUA of SPINAKKER wie gaat het doen?" Don't worry about the language. The plans are quite clear.
pa. it needs one servo
Old 04-13-2006, 09:21 PM
IanHB

Sorry Guiri, can not find those words on that site. Help please for a dummy with only one language. Thanks mate.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 PM
wismerhell

http://www.mzgn.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32
Old 04-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Guiri

I was trying to avoid the shock of the opening photo of the thread
Old 04-15-2006, 06:24 PM
IanHB